1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the term "straight-acting" offend you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OnWisconsin, Jan 12, 2014.

1. OnWisconsin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We've all heard this before, but I recently had someone get offended when I said I was straight acting. Why are or aren't you offended by this term?

2. Shyguy5

I don't get offended by the term. It's probably because I can't really categorize myself as masculine or feminine. I think it may offend others with the fact that with "straight acting" there must be "gay acting" which in itself is a stereotype.

3. jej121

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    the term itself is only for the purpose of defending onself from the ignorance of others socity is fucked

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a stupid term, but it isn't an offensive one...

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I gotta agree with that.
    People act masculine, feminine, or neutral. How do you even act like a sexuality?
    Since there are many people at the lower end of the Kinsey scale, with different personalities...
    It would be hard, if not impossible, to quantify.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "How do you even act like a sexuality?"

I can think of a few ways, but if I haven't offended most of the forum by naming them I'm probably doing it wrong xD

7. BadCanadaJoke

I'm not offended by the term in the least because it doesn't concern me, I've never used it to describe myself.

But the term itself speaks badly about the one saying it. The word "acting", alone, indicates that you're putting up a facade, you're playing the role of the macho, varsity jock who's -guess what- also gay, but not like a flaming gay, he's a cool gay.
    To me it sounds like an attempt to fit in with straight people and/or people who might not accept you for who you are.... But people are going to call you a fag either you want it to or not. So.... I'd rather call myself a fag first. Like Fat Amy for example...
    What are the criteria for being a straight acting gay? Is there like a survey you take or are there rules on the internet or...?! What?

Why can't you just say: 'I am going to be myself and that's all I got to offer, nothing more nothing less.' Giving yourself a label like that means you're trying to be sth you're.... not maybe?

Does straight acting mean you can't like show tunes? Or does this break the "illusion"?

At any case...to me, it's a personality label that tells me the other person is trying to be someone he isn't... That's my personal opinion and since it's between strangers I don't think there's any harm in telling you.

[On a last note, if you only use the term on gri.ndr to get guys who are into that, I find no reason in you asking us or caring about what others think because that's a whole other issue that's totally up to you and I respect that... If you can pass for one there's no reason you should say you are one... But again, that's another thing...]

8. Bolin

It's a little silly since "straight-acting" would literally mean that that person has sex with the opposite gender. "Stereotypically masculine" is a much better term to use. I'm not offended by it, but I roll my eyes whenever I see a guy describing himself as such.

9. BadCanadaJoke

exactly.that.! Thank you! :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't like it because people would call me a straight acting lesbian if they knew i was lesbian I don't like the term because it's like saying their acting not normal to how their suppose to act being gay .
    I'm a person first and a lesbian 2nd

11. itsonlyrelative

I think that the term is dumb, but if a person needs to use the term to make sense of themselves then so be it. I have never been personally offended by it.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just a stupid term most of the time. It's only offensive when the (usually guy) is doing it to separate himself from "those gays/fags." The attitude of "I'm not like those (implied inferior due to femininity) gays." Generally with the belief that femininity is bad.

Unless they get into that, it's just something I roll my eyes at and find silly.

13. LiquidSwords

It reinforces gay stereotypes and implies that gay people who don't fit the stereotypes are putting on an act. It's definitely not a way I'd ever describe myself and it annoys me that other people would describe themselves or others as such.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I find strange is that 'straight-acting' is the logical opposite to saying 'Dude, you're SO gay...' and yet in both cases, we're the bad guy...I'm probably alone in finding that funny...

16. kem

kem

I don't find it offensive but I don't think it means anything.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's offensive, but it is narrow-minded because you can't know for sure someone's sexuality from how they act or look. Instead, "straight-acting" usually means a specific masculine (for males) and feminine (for females) set of characteristics that the culture as a whole has deemed "appropriate" for each gender. Like others mentioned, it is negative when guys (lesbians seem to have much less concern) use the words as basically a form of discrimination.

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It does not offend me. However, I don't use it. I think it's mostly for marketing purposes, on-line, or to seek out your type in the sea of suitors ... or should I say those suitors "suitable" to have sex with.

I much prefer "regular guy." This casts a broader net, and can and is used in straight circles to indicate someone who is not odd and who is basically affable and unpretentious.

19. Foster

I don't like the term, because it implies that if you act a certain way it's considered "gay" or "straight". The only think that defines your sexuality is what gender(s) you're attracted to. I may be girly, but I'm not straight acting. I like women, so I'm lesbian acting lol :slight_smile:

20. CherryCandles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've described myself as such since as the stereotypes go, I don't have the 'gay accent' as some folks might call it, though after reading a couple comments here I feel bad for putting a label to it. I have had other gay guys put me down for describing myself that way, saying that I shouldn't need to act when it's really not me acting but being the way I am!
    As much as it might reinforce the stereotype, it's the only way I've really come to differentiate.