1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why you will fail to have a great career

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Tyrael

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *bleep* that guy.

I stuck with a toxic work environment in research and beat my head against the wall. I left and found my way in life doing what I love. So instead of doing what people wanted me to do/expected me to do (my parents and friends and teachers) I left and did what I wanted to.

I followed my dreams and got lucky, so I really don't ascribe to a lot of what he said.

Yes failure is part of life, but I didn't care for his sarcastic hunchback pucker butt approach.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, no. There are a hell of a lot of things that aren't up to "you" in failing a career. It's easy for a (presumably cis-hetero) white man to say it's your own fault if your career fails.

It's also hard for a lot of people to toss up between family commitments and work. And personal financial difficulties, sickness etc.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That guy is a jerk :dry:

5. Tyrael

Wow you guys an gals not liking what you hear I guess. I found it interesting and sometimes you need to try see things from another point of view. Sure there are things he doesn't cover that might affect how successful you can be but he can't cover all of that.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate other views, but that talk was highly Un-Ted like.

7. Foxface

It's not that he didn't have time to cover it, it's that he ignored it completely. This video is a perfect example of an ivory tower

great video...but

Yeah I had to use his own line against him

I usually ADORE Ted Talks but this interesting gent panders to a small population of people who have the access and ease of entering society without prejudice.

How do I know that? I'm one of them. Yeah...here we go again with privilege.

So ok I am bi...but let's look at me for a second

I am white, 34 years old, cis, bi but can easily pass as hetero, married to a cis woman and make a decent living and can afford decent things

So yes, maybe in my case failure is my own crappy design. And yes, I can achieve anything I want because I fit into what society desires in the professional world.

But what I am mortified about in this video is the absolute rejection of privilege. Find me a gay black man. Find me a Hispanic woman, find me a trans FtM and you tell me who the public is going to support more. Tell me out of the four of us who this video is REALLY aimed at...me

So while this video may be motivating to a person like myself, I can't stand by it when it completely ignores societal values and bias

Foxface

8. Tyrael

I'm sorry I just don't see how it even comes into it. I mean I realise prejudiced views are present, but it's simply impossible to expect someone to tailor an entire talk into all those avenues. I still believe what he says applies, what you DON'T do is what makes you fail. Beyond that it's beyond your control, but if you do what you HAVE to do I agree with it.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely not your usual TED Talk. While I don't agree with everything Larry Smith says, he does touches on a couple of good points. That said, having followed my own passions, and interests in what I wanted to pursue for a career has given me the job/opportunity I love.

10. Foxface

Well that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but dare I say bring that up to scores and countless black families who work their asses off in crappy minimum wage jobs who would love nothing more than to move up the ladder or succeed if it just weren't for that pesky skin color issue.

See I am proud to ay I have failed MANY time. I only now have succeeded. I am about to start what could amount to my dream job but I will never deny that I have societal advantages. Born into the middle class, cis gendered, white

If you can honestly tell me these things don't exist and don't harm other populations when they DO try their hardest then we'll have to shakes hands (so to speak) and just disagree

and I am not saying that his TED talk should have covered all the bases, no he'd be talking for weeks if he did that, but it did ignore advantage and privilege. I feel it spoke to a population that has advantages and by the comments I am seeing I don't seem to be alone

Foxface

11. Tyrael

Ok well I did say I realise prejudiced views exist, I didn't deny that. Anyway sorry if I pressed any buttons and upset anyone, just take what you want from it.

12. Foxface

and let me apologize too. I want people to be unapologetic. You are fantastic...we all have our own demented views of life :slight_smile:

Sorry if I got a little heated

Foxface

13. Tyrael

No need to apologise :slight_smile: everyone's welcome to their own views and opinions, let rip I say.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nobody mentions Asians.
    Generally, the culture in Asia emphasizes education, leading kids to become ambitious workers, which is what colleges want. Minority? Yes. Institutionalized discrimination? Yes, that is a phrase. There is still quite a lot of it against LGBT people. But racially? No. Much of it is cultural.

Racism is not nearly as prevalent as it was in the 60s(for example). Yes, it is harder for open LGBTs to get a stable income. Yes, gender dysphoria is sometimes demonized by the media. Hard work is the important thing- the free market will take you far, no matter what your background is, but you only get what you put in. That is how things should be.

"You miss all of the shots you don't take."
    That is the message he's trying to give here. I think.

#14 An Gentleman, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  15. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought that was an amazing and inspiring video, I don't see why everyone has such a problem with it

16. Tyrael

Glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

17. Darren18

Darren18 Guest

Deff seems like an arrogant jerk will write that, sides career fail i already failed so what do i care xD

18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, following my own deepest passions and interests in poetry has led to a life in which I barely get by, struggle to make rent, and am in a constant state of anxiety about how to afford basic things like dental care, transportation, and a host of other things...I think it also depends on how well your hopes and dreams fit in with what society and the culture around you values. If you're not all about math and science, good luck in the US...

19. Foxface

because we have opinions on things like advantage and privilege and how they factor into failure

Foxface

20. Just Jess

He seems like the kind of guy cracked.com 's John Cheese aspires to be when he's not feeling guilty and ashamed for riding on the coattails of his best friend. Just a scathing observation.