1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Younger Relatives And Your Orientation/Gender Identity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleGrey, Jan 12, 2014.

1. PurpleGrey

Wasn't sure where to post this, but if the admins see fit to move it, they probably will.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is what your younger relatives, if you have any, said when:
    They found out about the existence of whatever orientation or gender identity you identify as,
    And/or
    They found out that you are, in fact, LGBTQIA or however you identify.

And by young relatives, I mean elementary school age. But maybe other ages are relevant if the age gap is considerable, or whatever, I don't know what I'm trying to convey.

For example, when I told my 5 or 6 year old sister, now seven, that I like girls, she said something along the lines of "that's gross, girls should be with boys, but I still love you because you're my sister, so it's okay". I don't think she quite understood homosexuality, which I suppose is confusing for children. My sister really only cares about family, which her whole world revolves around.

So, if I haven't rambled in a confusing way like I do, and this subject applies to you, I'd like to hear how them younguns responded to learning about your orientation or gender identity. :slight_smile:

2. Johneh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When my nieces and nephews found out that I was gay they didn't care. My younger nieces still ask questions sometimes. We just get called "uncle john and uncle john" lol.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my 16 year old cousin (guy) knows and is fine with it, I'm pretty sure my 11 year old cousin (girl) knows as well, but she may not know what exactly it means to be gay just yet. I also have a 2 y.o. baby cousin, who I guess will know whenever her parents decide to tell her when she's old enough. Hopefully by then, gay people are much more accepted than they are now.

4. Mzansi

Well seeing as my one cousin is 5 years old,
    And that me and my sister are otherwise known as the "younglings",
    Within the family,
    I've never been a situation to tell them,
    Not that it matters,
    They'd accept me regardless and would move on :slight_smile:

5. MatthewJS

I cant say gay around my little nephews because they might pick it up and might tease people by saying gay. I think they will know when they are older.

my little cousins that are with my homophobic aunt might never get to see me again due to my orientation.

6. Emulator

I sort of hinted to my brother who was 9 then and he said, "What do you mean? You can't be no gender." At other times he keeps teasing me about getting a partner, though I've never said I'm asexual. I think I'll keep that piece of information for later...

7. Colours

Well I'm not really out to my family. My nephew is 8 years old though and whenever the topic arises I'm not afraid to tell him that some guys like guys and some girls like girls. In fact I have told him a couple of times, and he seems to understand.

Sometimes when I'm with him, and no other relatives around, I just kind of want to tell him, it seems easier to tell a youngster like him than my older relatives. And I feel like the younger I come out to him, the less biased he will be, the more he will be accepting of homosexuality in the future etc, but I'm 99% sure he would run his mouth if I told him (and I can't blame him).

8. DrkRayne

My nephews didn't care. My one nephew said "oh okay" when I told him I was going to marry my partner. They were 8 and 9 at the time. We took htem to the zoo and told him. They knew her as my friend and knew that we lived together. I think they had guessed already, as one of their friends has two moms.

The youngest proceeded to grill us on when we were going to have a baby and who was going to have it and if it was still his cousin if my partner had it and who was it going to look like.
    Yeah...he could care less about us. he just wants a cousin. His brother tried to tell him not to ask those questions because its personal. He just kept talking.

To him it was just normal. I think when adults don't make a big deal about it, children are just like "okay so..."

9. apostrophied

DrkRayne, your story about your nephew asking a ton of questions about a potential cousin and his brother telling him to keep quiet because it's personal is just too cute! :grin: They sound like sweet kids, I'm so happy telling them was easy for you!

10. DrkRayne

They are my babies :slight_smile:

11. AlexTheBlogger

My little sister is 3 years old, so my family tried to explain I'm transgender in a simple way. I don't know what they said, but the next time I talked to her, she said I'm a silly boy and started to play with me. This was really cute =)

Also, I have a cousin that is 7 or 8 years old, I guess. Her uncle told her that now I am a boy and she was like "Wait: girls can be boys and boys can be girls? That's awesome!" :grin: