1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a gay man be gay if he had amnesia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Of someone lost there memory would they still be gay? Have there been test about it?

2. itsonlyrelative

I would think so. That depends on which side of the argument you are on of whether or no being homosexual is a nature vs. nurture thing. If you believe that homosexuality is dependent on nature then you hypothesis to this question is that regardless of amnesia the man would find that he was homosexual, but if you were on the nurture side of the argument your hypothesis would probably be that he wouldn't discover homosexuality in himself upon having amnesia because he wouldn't remember his upbringing. Because I am on the nature side of the argument I think he would eventually find that he was gay. As for whether this has been tested scientifically, I am not are that would be something interesting to research.

3. LinkLarkin

There've been (controversial) reports of people's sexuality changing after suffering things like strokes - I don't know if that's true, but if so, it's possible that the brain trauma which causes amnesia could somehow affect sexuality. However, in terms of memory loss without physical trauma, sexuality isn't a learned thing, it's inherent, so the person would still be attracted to the same people.

4. Hexagon

Yes.

Why don't we ask these questions about heterosexuality instead?

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...Yes?
    The reason why some people change sexuality after a stroke?
    Maybe there's a part of the brain that stores your sexual preference. Kind of like a cabinet drawer.

6. Hexagon

That's pretty rare, and usually takes the form of a straight person becoming queer. I think it's more likely that the experience causes someone to decide not to live a lie anymore, and comes out, or comes out of denial. I'm not denying the possibility of sexual fluidity, but it is pretty damn rare.

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, that isn't what the OP is getting at. The implication is that if homosexuality is environmental, caused by, say, a childhood experience, could one's sexuality change if those memories were forgotten.

There are a couple of problems with this idea, namely that not all experiences leave just memories behind. I find it very hard to believe that a simple memory could cause sexuality, without affecting some kind of physiological change on the body, one which would persist, even if the memory was lost.

Secondly, the evidence suggests that homosexuality is innate, not caused my childhood experience or any other type of memory.

Now that we've got this out of the way, I'd like to expand on my previous question as to why we don't ask the same question about heterosexuality. The fact is, we shouldn't be asking this question. No one should, but particularly not a queer person.

Why do researchers investigate the cause of homosexuality, specifically, and not sexuality in general? Why should there be a gay gene, and not a straight gene? Why is it that the suggestion has always been that childhood trauma/an absent father/an overbearing mother causes men to be gay, and not to be straight?

The answer to all of this is that the aim is not to promote equality, but to find a cure. We are still perceived as wrong, inferior, undesirable. No one is interested in finding the 'rap-liking' gene, because we all agree that liking rap music is normal. A more apt analogy I heard recently is masturbation. No one is still trying to identify a cause for masturbation, because its generally accepted as a normal and healthy act. However, that wasn't always the case, and when masturbation was regarded as sinful and dirty, they were extremely interested in finding a cause.

That a queer person should be asking this particularly saddens me, because it's an exercise in what I might describe as internalised heteronormativity. Not only is heterosexuality held up as the healthy, normal thing to be in heterosexual society, but some of us regard our own sexualities to be inferior.