1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting a "quote-on-quote" gay life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by treasureisland, Jan 13, 2014.

1. treasureisland

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone!

I'm 22 years old and gay and I would say that at this point, I am relatively comfortable with that. Still though, I have never really acknowledged myself as gay publicly. I am moving from a town to a city next month so I think there will be a gay community there. I guess I'm curious how best to quote-on-quote enter the gay scene? Gay bars? An LGBT center? Meeting people online? If anyone has any advice, or perhaps has been in a similar sitaution, let me know. :slight_smile:

2. AlamoCity

Can't help you on your "quote, unquote" gay life because I myself haven't really been out in the "community" (e.g. Bars, parades, clubs) but I can say that the best thing to do is to make sure you are always mindful of your safety in all aspects of your life.

3. Gallatin

I assume you're your moving within Florida? If so, it depends on the city. Some have a thriving gay scene; some don't. If you're in college, probably the easiest way to get your feet wet is to join the on-campus LGBT organization (that is, if they have one - I think all the state schools do, not sure on private ones). Bar that, there may be some LGBT-themed groups where you're going (for example, queer sports teams/leagues, outdoor activities, book club, etc.). Most of the major cities have some sort of gay pride parade. You'll have to check on dates and such, though, because each is different.

AlamoCity is right, though - always exercise caution, especially when exploring new places and meeting new people in a new city.

4. treasureisland

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice. I'm actually moving temporarily to Nashville, Tennessee and I've looked it up and they do have gay activities and such. I'll be sure to exercise caution though.

5. Nicholas1991

I moved to a city last year, from a small town. im the same as you - not openly gay - but i know theres a much bigger community to be involved in if i ever wanted to be - maybe try meetup.com or other local groups to find like minded people?