1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How seriously do you take your dreams?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlonfire, Jan 13, 2014.

1. girlonfire

This may sound like an odd question, but it's because I've been self-identifying as bisexual now and now I'm finally sorta comfortable with it, but then I had a dream where I told someone I was gay? This is a game-changer if that's true, and I ask because although obviously the weird shit that happens in dreams aren't true and I don't follow those "dream interpretation" things (like if you're on a beach it means this or that), but I know dreams are almost like your sub-conscious interpreting events, so then my train of thought is I sub-consciously know I'm gay, not bi, but consciously I don't realize/refuse to believe it. And I figured this belonged more in chit chat because it's more of a general question but I just gave specific info regarding why I'm asking. So yeah. Ok go answer :dry:

2. Foster

Eh, I don't take dreams too seriously. After all, they're basically just a bunch of random thoughts and ideas your brain throws together (in my opinion). I mean, I had a dream that I was Batman, and I'm not really Batman. So yeah......if you really believe you're bisexual then I wouldn't really worry that you've labeled yourself wrong because of this dream. However, questioning your sexuality is perfectly okay to do at any time, and for any reason (or no reason) :slight_smile:

3. Foxface

Some not so much, some very

I'd be a bit of a hypocrite doing dream analysis with my clients and not taking my own seriously

Foxface

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I take mine seriously not all of them but some of them because sometimes i can see what happens in the future

5. sugarcubeigloo

Not at all. Otherwise, I'd be leading a very strange life. :lol:

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're useful for finding out what I'm most worried about, but I usually can do that without analysing my dreams.

My dreams always focus on the big issue that's troubling me.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends. Sometimes there's a really obvious point that's connected to something I'm thinking about in real life. And sometimes the only point is that my thoughts are just as ADHD when I sleep as they are when I'm awake, and nothing makes any sense at all.

8. animequeen567

I think dreams are very insightful. They can tell you how you are feeling based on different things in the dream if you know how to interpret them.

9. willycubed28

I take some dreams very seriously. I am a heavy dreamer. What I mean by that is that my dreams deal with heavy situations. It really depends on the dream though.

10. starfish

Considering that many of my dreams end with me waking up and saying what the fuck, I don't take them to seriously.

That said they I do have some useful meaning. It is not really the content but the context. For example. If I am having the dream where I have to pass this class or I won't graduate from college, I am usually stressed because of an upcoming deadline.

Now I do have one recurring dream that is very literal. I am walking around trying to find somewhere to pee and I can't find a restroom. So I try to find somewhere to pee that no one will notice. I know that dream mean. It means that I need to pee and that I need to get my but out of bed and go pee.

#10 starfish, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Likewise. It depends on the dream, the context, and the timing. What I have found lately is that I have had dreams relating to what was concerning me that day, or the day before. Therefore, I see some link. I had a weird dream last night. I dreamed that my mom had told me that one of her friends had died last Friday and she told me in a very matter-of-fact way. I think it caused me to wake up. I know she has spoken to this woman since that time. However, this woman is at an age where her peers have died so, if it were to happen, it wouldn't exactly be incredulous.

However, those crazy dreams where you're flying or 3 people from completely different chapters of your life are at a party or barbeque at the same time are the ones I ignore. Maybe I shouldn't!

12. RoguesWolfe

It depends on the dream for me.

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. Just my brain sorting through stuff, with a large helping of creativity and wtf-ness. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Mathnskating

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the dream. Most of the time they're stupid. I've gone through periods where I remembered all of my dreams. They're idiotic and make no sense.

However, every once in a while you can get info. I've solved math problems I'm having trouble with in my sleep a few times. Or, more recently, I had my very first 'dirty' dream (that's what my girlfriend called it) and it was about her. :icon_redf

I felt like that was pretty telling. So, it just depends. This could be just an indication that at some point in life you questioned it.

15. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't usually remember my dreams, but when I do, they're... strange.
    Not too helpful.
    A collection of weird events. It would be interesting to be a lucid dreamer. Then I could control the dream world, right?

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I very rarely remember them (usually if I wake up early and then stay half-asleep), but I don't take them seriously except if they show me something is really stressing me out. Actually, I think a lot of the dreams I remember are often specific scenarios I've briefly considered, with the most recent themes relating to things like coming out or interacting with a crush.

17. KWDBM

My dreams are usually either just extensions of fantasies, completely weird and unrealistic, or.... I dunno, I think my mind would be a lot more messed up if I took my dreams seriously.

However, there are certain *aspects* of dreams that I've learned to pay attention to. For instance, I have certain deep/complicated issues with a certain person that normally don't interfere with my day-to-day life, but if I find myself dreaming about her it normally means I need to think about some things, or talk to someone about it.

18. DangerousHunter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My dreams are odd. I dream of zombie invasions mainly (As bad dreams)
    And my good dreams are video games pretty much.

19. Hexagon

Not very. Mostly, my dreams are just kind of mundane storylines of my normal life that could easily happen. Like, I'll just dream of a day in college or something. Occasionally they're weird. Like I'm fighting g for my life or something. But that's pretty rare.

20. Emulator

It depends on the dream itself. Some of them seem interesting, others I would never wish to happen. But they are mostly odd.