1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Natural Disasters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

So, as I know a few other members here live in california, I'm wondering, are you guys in the wildfire areas? Eureka is currently under a fire warning, telling us to stay indoors to limit exposure to smoke coming up from the fires (which are ~450 miles away to give an idea of how bad the fires are), as well as a warning telling us we may be blocked in Eureka if forest fires were to break out. (as in, we won't be in danger, but we will be unable to leave the city, and no more resources will be coming in) There isn't enough foliage here to actually catch fire and destroy the town, but it's still quite scary. I went out with friends yesterday and saw mist, which I took as normal, as we have fog here a lot, then I remembered it was 4 in the afternoon, turns out it was smoke :S We've never had fires here, as it's quite damp in the very north of california (I'm ~100 miles from oregon border), so the woods tend to be too wet to catch into a massive fire, and if they do, rain starts, but lately it's been quite hot, causing warnings. If you remember my post not that long ago, we broke our temperature record by 29 degrees last month, reaching 104, where our old record was 75. Plus, We live on the coast, about 20 miles from samoa, which is an island, so I'm not in danger, but worried about other EC members here.

So, are the other people in cali safe atm? I know fires continue to break out all around, and unlike last year, where the major fires were isolated to the south, they're starting all over this time. All I can say, is california is taking a massive beating with fires lately, whereas the east coast is taking a storm beating, and the middle is taking tornado beatings. I think "God" is out to get the US XD

Are any other parts of the world being thrashed by nature? I haven't seen much on the news lately, other then the china earthquake, if that tells you how much I watch the news :3

2. 24601

Maybe Fred Phelps is right. God is taking out his anger at California's new same sex marriage policies by burning them! And the rains and tornadoes? They're retribution too. Oh Fred Phelps, how foolish we were to ignore your warnings!

Although not nearly as bad as anywhere else, it seems like we've had thunderstorms every single day now for the past week. Tonight, there was no rain - just lightning.

3. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Not close to where I live. The only thing that my city is dreadfully experiencing are the unnaturally hot weather >.<

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm actually surprised I haven't heard somebody say that the reason California is on fire is because of the same-sex marriages. Alot of our firefighters from around here are down there in California fighting fires. I think you'll be okay as long as you stay informed and do what the experts tell you to do. Try to stay out of the smoke. I'll keep you in my thoughts Tim!

5. MeskElil

I'm at the bottom of the valley, so we're getting all the smoke in our air and it's trapped here. The AQI was 207 yesterday...that's the air quality, and that means it's the next thing to hazardous on the scale...it's pretty bad here.
    But actually the smoke layer is creating a fake ozone layer here and keeping the temperatures down to around 90 now (usually it's about 105 here). So it's nice weather but we can't enjoy it or else we'll get respiratory diseases. >.<
    I feel so bad for the firefighters and the people up there...