1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who enjoys doing/going to things alone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwkwardTalker, Jan 14, 2014.

1. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I enjoy going to the cinema alone. There are times when I wished someone had gone to the cinema with me, especially so we could talk about the movie afterwards and anything that might have happened in the cinema. I can't wait to go to a theme park alone or go with someone who will actually want to do what I want as well. If I go to the cinema by myself I can watch what I want, when I want and how many times I want to. I love theme parks and rollercoasters. Twice I have been to Disney World and while I do feel very lucky to have even gone once, I do wish that going to the parks had been better planned because I only went on a small number of rollercoasters each time I went there. The time wasn't utilised properly.

2. ScatteredEarth

I'm generally a solo type of person, I still remember taking a bus at like 9 in the morning to go to the AMC in the next town to watch the A-Team.. I like the sense of adventure of doing things by myself.

3. Saint Otaku

I often feel this way, although I worry that if I ever did take someone I'd actually want to go with, they wouldn't appreciate as much as I did...

Still, I've not gone to the cinema alone, always having to go along with my dull family.

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a solitary kind of person at home and... well, in most places. But for going out (rarely happens) I don't like going to movies or restaurants or "activities" alone. I'm fine with going for a walk in the woods alone to just get lost but I don't like being on my own in public places/while doing something. I guess I'm a halfway house of sorts...

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm physically not really able to so it doesnt matter but yeah I like to share the experience so I probably wouldn't go to movies or the mall or something by myself.

6. C P

C P

This. No doubt I love doing things with others, but it isn't going to stop me from enjoying something if I have to fly solo.

For places like amusement parks, it is a ton more fun with someone to enjoy it with, but I never got the thing behind people not wanting to be at something like the movies alone; typically I hear it's because they find it embarassing somehow.

If I want to see a movie and nobody else can/wants to go, I'm going anyways.

7. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a total introvert and love to be alone.

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some things I very much enjoy doing alone. Hiking, driving, and exercising come to mind. I don't mind eating out at restaurants alone. And as an introvert I definitely need some alone time to recharge my batteries.

But there are a lot of things where I would feel extremely awkward if I were to go out and do them by myself, so I either find someone to go with or don't go. That includes things like going to movies, sporting events, and concerts. And I absolutely LOATHE being in social situations where I don't know anyone, especially if it seems like a lot of the other people do know each other already.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few more things alone than your list, which would include movies. I very much like going to the movies alone. I suppose I could go to a sporting event alone. I would not go to a concert alone. I have missed a few concerts because I had no one to go with. I mean, I could have found someone to go with, but I don't think I would have enjoyed their company, based on our interactions, and didn't want to remember a much awaited concert in that context.

10. Pete1970

Ive gone to concerts and movies alone. My wife doesnt like any movies or concerts i like so sometimes its more fun to go alone since she usually just sits there bored. I havent gone to a sit down restaurant alone but would probable go and sit at the bar.

I would love to go to these places with someone as long as they were having fun too, otherwise i would prefer to go alone

11. blond

I could never understand what was so bad about doing things alone i think its great! Plus if i'm with somebody and i don't talk for five minutes it feels awkward.

#11 blond, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  12. AKTodd

My partner and I have somewhat differing tastes in movies and he sometimes works out of state or is otherwise unavailable for an entire weekend or weeks on end. During those times, I'll go to movies by myself (conveniently he often travels in the summer so lots of summer movies going on) or go to Barnes and Noble, or hit B&N followed by going to a local restaurant to eat lunch and read my just purchased book(s). It's a bit of decompress time for me that I really enjoy.

Todd

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't enjoy it, and I generally don't do it. I feel way too self-conscious and anxious to like go out to dinner out alone. Being at a cinema or theme park alone would make me feel too lonely and depressed. I have terrible social anxiety and depression.

So no, I don't enjoy doing/going to things alone.

...But oh wait, I did do one big totally crazy thing alone once (and in retrospect, it was really freaking crazy), hopping a plane for a week in Vienna, Austria, all by myself, I didn't even have a cell phone with me, didn't speak a lick of German.

And the first night there I was stricken severely with anxiety and depression. My anxiety prevented me from going by myself into any restaurants to eat, even though I was starving from traveling. Finally after wandering and wandering looking in at happy friends and family eating in restaurants, the hours passed, returning back and forth to the hotel, at like close to midnight I stumbled out again, exhausted and hungry, I wandered until I managed to find an open Würstelstand (kinda like a hot dog stand) and ordered a hot dog with mustard in my broken (more like non-existent) German, and ate it on the way back to my hotel. That night I feel into severe depression, I felt so lonely and horrible, I just took a shower and went to bed, but I never felt more alone in my life (and really I never was).

Fortunately I did manage to salvage the rest of the week, I still felt lonely, but I forced myself to get up each morning and go out and do things and see things (lots of museums!).

One day I even went on a long-ass bus ride to Salzburg just to buy the original famous Fürst Mozartkugeln (Mozart candies, chocolates filled with pistachio marzipan and nougat; you can buy imitation ones all over Vienna, but the only place to get the original authentic handmade Mozartkugeln was this tiny shop in Salzburg called Fürst), also got to see Mozart's house and this quaint little typical German-looking town called St. Gilgen on the way, not to mention passing the beautiful mountains and hills that are alive with The Sound of Music).

But that week on my iPod I listened to a lot of classical music (I was in Vienna after all!) and took time for reflection.

One of my favorite memories was listening to Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald (Tales from the Vienna Woods), a beautiful Viennese waltz by Johann Strauss, while wandering alone in the woods behind the magnificent Schönbrunn Palace.

I went out to a classical concert (touristy kinda concert, mostly popular Mozart and Strauss stuff, but still fun) complete with a fancy sitdown dinner. I was the only solo table, but oh well, the wine and prosecco dulled the pain that night.

During the day I went sightseeing and shopping by myself and then to relax wandered into the Viennese cafes, where it's actually a perfectly normal tradition for people to go by themselves, order a melange and then sit there reading the newspaper by themselves the whole afternoon. (But also smoke- a lot :icon_eek:slight_smile:

At night it was still tough, but I worked up the courage to go into restaurants to eat dinner, usually at casual, touristy places, but one night I was feeling especially brave and wandered into this really local, authentic kind of place I found in the middle of nowhere on a dark street, but it was packed with locals, and I just walked in, and I didn't regret it (though I drank one two many beers with my Wienerschnitzel that night :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Of course there were some definite dark scary moments when you're all alone and in a strange place, as I said I didn't even have a cell phone, I didn't exist to the outside world I knew.

I didn't want to spend my limited Euros on transportation, plus I like walking, so I walked everywhere and got lost a lot, sometimes during the daytime, sometimes at night (especially if I'd had one too many beers that night), and would just be wandering having at 11 o'clock at night having no idea where I am and if I'll ever find my way back to the hotel, seeing shady characters standing around, desperately trying to at least find a lighted, safe-looking corner to whip out my map and try to calibrate where the frick I am.

There are obvious issues with personal safety being alone, when you are alone you are seen as a vulnerable target. Once during the 3-hour walk back from Schönbrunn Palace (the area surrounding this gorgeous gigantic palace was actually kinda sketchy), I stumbled under this graffiti-covered overpass to find it was a dead end to the river, some youth were playing ball down there, I was embarrassed and didn't want seem like I was lost, so I walked around a bit. And then I had this gypsy guy walk over to me and yell something incomprehensible to me, I just responded I don't understand, but then as I walked he walked along side me. I started walking faster and got some space between us but he continued to follow more for about an hour, I don't know exactly what he wanted from me, but every time I turned my head he was there approaching me and I picked up my pace to power-walking. Finally when I got to the other side of the river, he disappeared...but I definitely feared for my safety being completely alone like that, like I said I couldn't have even called anyone.

But anyway, at the end of all that, I felt very accomplished at having booked a trip, navigated the trains from the airport to get to my hotel as cheaply as possible (rather than pay 50 euro for a car), staying by myself in a hotel for a week and seeing all sorts of sights and experiences in a foreign country. Did I wish I would have had some friends or maybe a companion with me? Perhaps. But I look at it now as an amazing experience and again it gives me a sense of accomplishment to have been able to do all that by myself, and it gave me an opportunity for a lot of introspective reflection.

So even if you're a social butterfly with a close boyfriend/girlfriend and a thousand friends, I would still recommend you try traveling somewhere far away alone, just to expand your horizons, and give you a chance for introspective reflection.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an introvert and very independent, to the point that I am often a recluse outside of work. Only recently have i started to regret this a little as I kept never taking up my friends offers to join their parties or other events, with few exceptions. I don't go to movies unless with someone else, but I do go for music concerts alone. I've thought about asking others to come with me, but honestly I would be too distracted.

15. hazza

I love doing things on my own. I'm VERY introverted so it is easy for me to do things by myself. Music festivals and travelling are two of my favourite solo activities.

16. rocketgirl1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've just started doing more things alone and for me it gives me a good feeling of independence. I hate waiting around for others.

17. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I want a gf who i can takee to public places with hers t-shirts

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2014 at 08:38 PM ----------

but I'm a loner

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no close friends in my area so I'm pretty much stuck doing things alone.

I have mixed feelings. A part of me would like to have someone to share some experiences with, but another part of me does like doing things alone, since I can do what I want, when I want.

Although I have never done a movie alone. I guess part of me does feel sort of like a loser going alone. Although I also just like watching movies in my own living room--I like the control of being able to pause the DVD if I feel like it, or to watch some earlier part over again (say if I feel like there is something important I missed). I also like the cost of borrowing a DVD from the library (zero dollars) vs a movie theater ticket.

I almost never eat out by myself, and certainly have never eaten in anything remotely resembling a fancy restaurant. I very infrequently have coffee out. Part of this is just cost--I can make coffee for a lot less than Starbucks. But also there is the fact that I'm alone--I figure since I'll be alone, I might as well be alone where I live. I am very much an introvert, and simply being in public places is draining. Eating alone in a restaurant with other people in the place would be a drain, but with no benefit such as being able to talk to a friend.

19. Van

Van

I usually go to concerts and the movies alone. There are so many people that go by themeselves.

Nothing will happen if you go alone. Trust me! I've been to two concerts by myself and I actually had great fun, especially at Gaga's BTW Ball tour. It might feel awkward at first, but once the concert starts, you just don't care anymore. And there are so many other people who go by themselves. :slight_smile:

20. Emulator

I do nearly everything alone unless I'm forced to do it with others. After all, I have as much choice as everyone else does, alone or not. When I'm alone...I set my own boundaries, I do what I wish. I'm free :grin: