1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality and Choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Hexagon

So it isn't the first time I've said this. But honestly, the last time I posted about this was over a year ago, and I'm posting again. Deal.

Can we stop saying being gay isn't a choice?

For the record, I am in no way saying we choose to be queer.

Queer people: We the same rights as heterosexuals. We didn't choose to be this way. You have no right to forbid us from having sex/marrying.

It is true we deserve the same rights as heterosexuals. It is true that we deserve to be allowed to marry, and should be free from persecution. But the fact that our sexuality is beyond our control has precisely nothing to do with that, and continuing to use it in our defence is damaging.

As far as things like this go, you have states of being, such as liking the taste of sugar. Attraction to people of the same gender falls into this category. We can't control this, and thus, we can't be held to be either moral or immoral for being this way. Then, you have actions that come as a result of being a certain way, like eating sweet things. Having sex with people of the same gender is in this category. This we can choose. We could choose never to have sex with people of the same gender. Things in this category can be immoral. Homosexual behaviour isn't immoral, but the fact that we didn't choose to be gay doesn't influence that.

By saying it isn't a choice, we paint ourselves the victims of circumstance. We say being gay is a bad thing, but don't blame us. We make sure to remind the slightly homophobic heterosexual we're talking to that we'd choose to be straight if we could, that know their sexuality is superior, so they don't feel the need to assert it themselves.

If it were a choice, why would that be a bad thing? If someone chose to be queer, does that mean they deserve to be persecuted for it and denied rights? Of course not. To say anything different is to say we're inferior, and not equal to heterosexuals.

So next time you have to defend yourself, don't say that. Say that being queer is a perfectly acceptable thing to be.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't choose your sexuality.
    However, you choose whether or not you will act on your sexuality.

That video once posted here said it all, with the question asked of the interviewees "When did you choose to be straight?"

3. Hexagon

Yes, I believe I mentioned this. My point was about how we construct our defences and arguments.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ". We could choose never to have sex with people of the same gender. "

And yet you would still be gay.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. Or bi. Which then begs the question "Since abstaining isn't going to change anything, why not act on it?" It seemed logical to me.

6. Hexagon

I'm not disputing this. My point is that it could (but isn't) immoral, and just because we didn't choose our sexuality doesn't justify it. We need to find other ways to justify it.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but while there are still people incorrectly spouting the falsehood that it IS a choice, we have a need to make the correction.

8. Hexagon

Not really. That only motivates a search for a cure. When someone tells me I choose to be pansexual, I just ask why that is a bad thing.

9. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I agree with what your saying. If being gay was 100% a choice I don't think that would change the morals of it. I haven't heard an good argument as to why it's a bad choice. Also if being gay was truly a bad thing, like if it caused forest fires, then it being a not a choice wouldn't really make it less bad.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "That...motivates a search for a cure."

True, some people take it that way, and for all we know there is one. If they find a sexuality gene and can alter it by manipulation, then they've cured it. The difference is, that the people who find it and say 'well we found the cure, now take your medicine' are the same people who are already saying it's a choice.

The rest will see a sexuality gene the same as those in control of height and hair colour and everything else that just happens to be swimming about in there. My point is, that it's not like saying 'being gay is a choice' is going to start convincing people who don't ALREADY think it's a bad thing to start calling us bad.

11. willycubed28

Sexuality isn't a choice. You are who you are born to be. I was born to be gay and like men. My dad was born to be straight and like women. It is what it is. I did not choose to be gay.

12. Hexagon

And I'm not saying we should start claiming it's a choice.

But seriously, if you find someone sitting over a dead body wailing 'it was an accident', you're not going to start thinking of them very favourably. No, you won't accuse them of murder, but you wouldn't dispute the fact that the person shouldn't have died, and that their death is a bad thing. Propagating the argument that it isn't a choice implies that being queer is bad, which it isn't. Those who accept us under those grounds don't really accept us, they just accept that we are not immoral for being queer, while maintaining that queerness is undesirable, and immoral.

13. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Liking men or women is not a choice. It is, however, a choice to be in a relationship with a man or woman. It doesn't mean you'd enjoy it.

14. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " Propagating the argument that it isn't a choice implies that being queer is bad"

So in that case, would you consider saying 'being straight isn't a choice' to be an improvement? You argument appears to hinge upon the use of the word choice as the source of the negativity. Where as I would contend that it's the word 'gay'. The people who use that argument already think there is something wrong with being gay, so they are going to see it that way. If you said to those people 'being straight isn't a choice', then I don't think we would suggest there is the same implication of it being something we ought to feel ashamed of.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if being queer were a choice, there would still be no justification for discrimination. That said, there's the attitude of "if it's a choice, you deserve anything we dish out" which conservatives at high and low levels perpetuate. As such, it's important to focus both on why it's not wrong in the first place, but how it's still not a choice.

A lot of campaigning seems to encourage us to be ashamed of our various gender and sexual identities; "it's not a choice," "they can't help it" etc. just makes us seem like a bunch of victims ashamed of who we are.

Whether or not it's a choice or not, the choice argument against us is never about choice; it's about breaking the gender and sexual boundaries that are laid down and which make people uncomfortable to see breached. It's a distraction, an argument pulled out of nowhere which could easily disappear to be replaced by another red-herring, so long as they never have to openly admit it's about men and women keeping to the rules they adhere to.

16. Hexagon

In some ways. Another pitfall of the choice argument is that, as you have pointed out, it assumes heterosexuality to be the natural, default state of being, and therefore the healthiest and most desirable. But it still doesn't address the fact that the involuntary nature of sexuality doesn't influence its morality.

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically, if nothing else, we can agree that standard practice morality is in this instance, faulty. In which case are we not doing ourselves somewhat of a disservice by devoting time question our tag lines that could be better used attempting to lay out an easier access to the basic understandings of morality?

Having said that, I think we have about as much chance of getting everyone to ditch the 'so and so says its wrong' as we have of proving that the moon can fit inside for VW Camper.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When someone says it's a choice I always say this Try denying your sexual just for one month if your hetero and only date and have sex with the same sex and see if you can do it for a long time with out getting frustrated that means no having sex with opposite sex , no dating the opposite sex and when you see an attractive woman look down at your feet and try to ignore it let's see how long you can do that for .

19. jp36

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I think that we should always be making both arguments. Firstly, being queer isn't a choice. Secondly, there'd be nothing wrong with it if it was.

I think you make a good point, though. The loudest arguments against homophobia aren't always the best ones. My personal bugbear is the whole 'there are animals that exhibit gay behaviour' line, because it's not really a valid point. Whilst there are species where animals of the same gender engage in sexual activity, there is no documented example of this happening to the exclusion of heterosexual, reproductive activity. Bonobo monkeys may fool around with same-sex partners all the time, but they all also breed.

Which is all especially annoying since it's beside the point. When has 'do animals also do it?' ever been an appropriate yardstick against which to measure human society. Despite the all-too-familiar line, no animal is 'gay' or 'bisexual' in the human sense of those words, but that's because human and animal sexuality are fundamentally different things!

20. Hexagon

Yes. In fact, 'natural' in general isn't a very good argument. There are plenty of immoral actions that happen to be natural.