1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you be upset if your family made you and your same sex lover sleep in separate

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Jan 15, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Would you be upset if your family made you and your same sex lover sleep in different rooms while spending the night at their house and your heterosexual relatives got to sleep in their room with their lovers ?
    Or what if in your family didn't allow anyone to sleep in the same room with their lovers and separated you guys will you be upset too ?

2. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Re: Would you be upset if your family made you and your same sex lover sleep in separ

I'd be upset with both situations but less upset with the second.

3. C P

C P

Re: Would you be upset if your family made you and your same sex lover sleep in separ

If it was a general rule, as in your second option, okay(though I'd still be bothered). If it is the first though, as in I couldn't share a room with a bf yet my brother could share one with his gf, yeah I'd be upset.

4. AlamoCity

If they make the distinction on marital status (i.e. married couples can sleep in the same room but all unmarried couples cannot), then I won't be offended. However, if an unmarried, heterosexual couple is permitted to sleep together but a homosexual couple is not, then I will have serious reservations about it, to put it politely. I don't care if we spend the night at a roach motel, but I wouldn't stand up to that.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Option 1, not if the heterosexual couple is married/perceived as "very serious" and we are not. Otherwise yes.

Option 2, eh, whatever. Your house your rules, and the rules aren't unfair.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Me too i would go to a hotel if i was treated like the first one

7. C P

C P

Maybe we all could have a hotel party. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. PurpleGrey

In the first scenario, hell yeah, I'd be upset. Not only because it's not fair, but I'd be sleeping in my sister's room where my bunk still is, and my folks know how important my sister's innocence is to me. Why that's an issue is because the others in the house have privacy.

As for the second scenario, it wouldn't bother me as much because there's no double standard. If the other girl lived with me and/or was my wife, I'd be a little more upset.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Only if heterosexual couples were allowed to sleep together. My mother, with her old-Catholic prudery, would never let me sleep with a boyfriend or girlfriend in her house until I'm well over 18, anyway.

10. Hexagon

It wouldn't happen. Either I'd argue until they gave in or I'd leave.

11. AKTodd

Given that my partner has been home to meet my family a couple of times now, I already know that this isn't an issue (and knew it wouldn't be an issue since they were pressuring me to bring him home for years before we finally slung together the money and logistics to do so). The question does remind me of a fun story I read once...might have been in Dear Abby or something...

A gay guy and his long term boyfriend/partner went to his grandmother's for the holidays. His sister and her live in boyfriend were also there. Grandma gave one guestroom to the sister and told her boyfriend he could sleep on the couch. She then gave the other guestroom to the gay guy and his boyfriend.

When the sister objected, asking why they got to sleep together in the same bed and she and her boyfriend did not, Grandma looked her right in the eye and said:

They would be married if they could. You have no excuse. You want to sleep together under my roof, go get married first.

Put a smile on my face when I read it.

Todd

12. Hexagon

Have you mentioned that before? I remember seeing something like that a while ago. It is an interesting take on it, though I dislike the idea that sex should be only after marriage, even if it is a slightly more liberal take on the usual version of it.

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The one and only time I had a partner, my mum had me sleep in my brothers room so my girlfriend could use my bed. Didn't bother me at the time 'cause it was a single bed! It'd damn well bother me now though.

14. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

The first night my former partner and I spent at my former partners parents house, we were prepared to sleep in separate rooms. Her family is traditional Roman Catholic, and we weren't out to them yet. I was her "friend and roommate from college." They figured it out on their own, and were okay with it. That night, when we were going to go to bed, her Mom suggested I share the room with her. I asked her if she was sure it was okay, and she said, "You two have been sleeping together for the last 4 yrs anyway." (which was true) When her brother found out, he asked how come he and his girlfriend had to sleep in separate rooms when they stayed over. My partners mom told him it was because they weren't married. He said, "So, they're not married either." She told him that didn't count, because in this state same sex is not legal yet.

15. Gallatin

Yup, I agree with this.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Holy Cow. I hadn't read your posting when I posted mine. Something similar happened to me once. I thought it was unique, guess not. :lol:

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

both your stories are both similar and funny lol

18. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'd be pretty upset, personally.

19. itsonlyrelative

^^ I agree. My grandma's rule is the same in her house regardless of homosexuality, my grandma just wanted to see that ring on your finger before you could sleep with your significant other. I respect that, her house so its her rules...just so long as there is no bias between the heterosexual couples and the homosexual couples in that house.

20. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Yes. I wouldn't be spending the night over there if we couldn't. My family isn't like that though, thankfully.