1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone forced to go to church?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by staychill, Jan 15, 2014.

1. staychill

staychill Guest

Is anyone else forced to attend church on a regular basis? My parents make me go every Sunday and Wednesday, and it's starting to get a bit old. I mean, I'm a Christian, but is it really necessary to attend church every time it's doors are open? And I guess part of my problem is that I go to a very traditional church (Church of Christ), where they rave on and on about the dangers of alcohol and homosexuality. It's seriously getting so tiring. On Wednesday nights I usually tell them I'm going, and then I go hang out with some friends, but Sunday mornings I can't really skip out on. Anyways, do your parents make you go to church or have they ever?

2. willycubed28

When I was your age I was. I was forced to go on Sunday, Wednesday night, and Thursday night for Youth Night. The church's motto that I had to go to was "Burn or Turn"...and that always made me sick at my stomach.

3. Hexagon

I won the argument when I was twelve. I haven't gone since, except to a funeral.

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They did until I left home (at 18) they are religious fundamentalists too.

5. Foster

When I lived with my mom =/

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They used to until I had to argue my way out of it, and I've never been back. Save for a few times I've been dragged there with work.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My parents forced me until I became 23 years old . When my mom had to work on weekends I got a great break .
    I had to go to a church and hear a preacher preach all day Yes All day ! about how he hated gays I would be so upset when he said these things even though I was homophobic back then I was thinking i can understand that you agree gays but their love isn't doing anything to you or me chill out dude it's not that serious . I remember even being demonized by a woman in the church for being smart and told that I would have a better path in heaven if I just stayed home and learned to cook . As they would say where would all that education get you when you die what will happen to your soul you might go straight to hell . They even made me have self esteem problems it got so bad when they told me I just started to cry

That was the most F**k up church I've ever been to

8. Tohru-Chan

I actually had the opposite in high school. My mom didn't want me to go to church but I did from when I was 14 'til I was 19 and I came out of the closet with my girlfriend. At that point it became difficult to find a church where I was accepted and I gave up on religion all together.. I've actually started to miss church, tbh.

9. All41

I was, until I told my parents I considered it a form of child abuse to force religion onto a child. They stopped soon after that

10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not for awhile. When I was younger, it was the case, but eventually my mom gave up. It was basically her vs my dad and my brother and my sister. No one wanted to go to church, but her.

I have a friend who's parents still "make" him go to church. Make is in quotes because 99.9% of the time he just says he went, so he is like you in that case.

I don't think you need to go to church to have your relationship with god. God is with you even when you skip. It's not like their view stops at the front porch. That concept would be silly for the god of creation. Though funny enough I feel kind of out of touch with my spirituality and am trying to go back to church to see if that helps. So far I haven't made it on account of some rather flimsily excuses.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Up through high school when I lived at home. Beyond that, my attendance was sporadic, and now I don't go, unless it's a funeral. Weddings require gifts and they don't talk to you after that anyway, so why go?

12. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha no! I only have to deal with an extremely religious dad that... *sighs* used to be a pastor.. and.. hates the ever existence of ga-but no I was never forced to.^~^`

13. person57

Luckily, no

14. hereliesfreedom

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Every Sunday and I have to be in the youth group. As she and everyone sees it I either go or I don't believes do am going to hell, which is a bunch of crap.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents never forced me to go. I was forced more by the church to go. Right when I was about to leave, they would put another responsibility on me so I could not leave. They didn't want me to "stray onto the path of darkness". If I didn't show up, they would call, and act if they were concerned. My parents never knew this until a few years later.. (They did not go to church)

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thankfully, no. My mom had a horrible childhood in Catholic school, complete with physically abusive nuns, and touchy-feely priests, so she gave it up before I was even born. In our family, we never talked overly much about religion. It seemed to us like a way people divided themselves from one another, and fought over things. We spent time outdoors in nature, instead, hunting wild mushrooms, horse-back riding, gardening, cross-country skiing, hiking. If we had a 'religion' it was a celebration of the natural beauty around us.

I did go to church with friends a few times, and found it very creepy/uncomfortable feeling. I still feel very uneasy entering such places, and find the Bible among the most depressing, humorless books I've ever read. It needs more funny parts.

#16 HuskyPup, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  17. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised in the church up until high school. When I was really little maybe, but I did not mind going to church. I know when I was in high school, my Grandma signed me up to be a deacon, which meant that I had to go back to church, but in the long run, I am so glad that she this. I wasn't the happiest about it at first, but she did it because she cared and I cannot thank her enough, because it was because of this, I got my faith back, and I became the person that I am today.

18. HighQualityLog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was going to Confirmation classes for the Roman Catholic Church, I went about every Saturday. I really didn't mind. I don't go as often anymore. :/ I want to! I just don't have the time and the motivation. And plus, I am not comfortable with the Roman Catholic view on gay people. Yes, it has improved a bit with Pope Francis taking the Vatican. But there is much more to be done, and it probably won't happen. I like the way the Episcopal Church approaches LGBT individuals. I like the Episcopalian Church.
    But for now, I will grow spiritually in the Roman Catholic Church, as we are all under the same loving and just God. :slight_smile:

19. Sal

Sal Guest

Church, not anymore. Bible camp, yes. Every summer I have to spend 2 to 3 weeks at bible camp. Yeah, not a fun time. Strangely enough though, I'm one of the few in my age group who actually pays attention during lessons and I'm not even Christian. I just find the Bible to be fascinating and it helps with my world religions class. It's my last year though. I'm sure a heck not going back when I'm 18.

As to my mother not making me go to church anymore. Turns out our preacher was a child molester. Yeah, no way was I going back on Sundays and camp is run by different people entirely.

20. Shamash

I'm not technically forced to go to church. I just don't want to deal with my parents finding out that I'm an atheist, so I pretend. Church, early morning seminary (6:00 AM every single weekday for 50 minutes ;-; ), Wednesday youth activities, etcetra. It's tiring pretending to be a Mormon, but probably better than being an out of the closet atheist in this household.