1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did you get your knowledge of safe sex from?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwkwardTalker, Jan 16, 2014.

1. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    In secondary school, each year we had a sex education talk. We weren't taught much. I can't even remember most of the talks. We were taught about STIs. Some contraceptive use. I think abstinence was mentioned. The younger years were taught their menstrual cycle. We were an all girls school. The all boys school I repeated in do not teach safer sex. There was definitely no same sex, lube, oral sex, masturbation, being comfortable with your body, sex toys, anal sex, safer sex kits, buying condoms etc. mentioned.

I have learned probably 95% of what I know from the Internet and picking information up from people. The majority of what I know is what I learned in the past twelve months.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already knew how to put on a condom going into 9th grade sex ed class. (I was a very adventurous kid. I once bought a 3-pack of condoms just to see what a condom felt like on my dick.)

In that class, we went over the whole plumbing of reproduction, STD's, and all the contraception options, from patch birth control, to the pill, to sterilization, even the withdrawal method.

When I really learned about safe sex was when I realized I liked men and started reading sites like PFLAG and other support sites for LGBT/questioning people, that was where I started reading about safe sex and how to keep yourself STD-free.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, considering the extent of my knowledge boiled down to "condom = good" until like...this year probably...I'd say the internet?

Frankly, school taught us some stuff but we never paid any attention. I don't actually know completely how to even put a condom ON because the one time we were supposed to practice putting one on the fake dick, we wouldn't do it.

4. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We learned about STD's, Master debating.(punpunpunpun!) Self examination and child birth.. We even watched a baby be born.. woo...

5. Kellyve

Yea I learned at school when I was 10. Then we learned about the whole rainbow of contraception when I was like 14

6. Bolin

Here, to be honest. And before I joined here, my own research. Condoms were only briefly touched upon in sex education, and obviously, anal, or "gay," sex wasn't covered in school, so I had to learn about a lot of sexually transmitted infections on my own.

7. Kinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was told a little bit in secodary but most of my education came from the internet

8. Sarcastic Luck

Entirely the internet.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A little from school, most from friends in which we casually shared what we knew about it (usually mocking how pathetic the health classes were at it) and a little from the internet.

10. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sex ed book for children when i was 9....

11. Oxelotl

The Internet. School taught me some stuff when I was younger, but I was also at an age where I didn't really understand much. All I knew was that Condom = Good, and after seeing what condoms looked like I put two and two together. My knowledge just comes from the internet gathered over the years.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    School (yay for liberal secular private schools in blue states!)

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For heterosexual sex, a combination of school and family. Maybe general internet inquiry in some cases.

Same-sex...probably here, lol.

14. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    the sex ed camp my parents didn't know they were sending me to.

15. LifeIsGrey

My mom gave me the talk when i was pretty young. By middle school i knew all about how babies were made, and condoms, and yea. I found the old 70s (or 80s? idk, but they were awful) sex ed movies we were made to watch to be lacking in some of the most important things we need to learn about having safe sex. All i remember were diagrams with genitals, movies about stds, and the 15 min long movie about sexual harassment that basically just focused on bra-snapping, which was never a problem with my school anyways. Added to that, most of my friends parents didn't let them see the film. I was the one who taught most of the people i knew in middle school about sex. personally, (and i doubt this will happen for quite a while) i think sex ed needs to be mandatory in schools, and completely re-constructed.

16. FloatingPiano

I learned about sex and all that jazz when I was in middle school. We were educated in STDs, forms of contraception, consent, etc. My school had a fairly good sex ed program for a public school in my opinion.

Of course though, it was completely lacking in any form of sex education that was not heterosexually based. I learned all of that on my own accord from good ol' Google and talking to my friends about it.

I also never really had a real sex talk from either of my parents. They just explained to me about consent and to be responsible, but never the tradition "talk" that I know many people receive from their parental units.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Basically I just kinda figured everything out on my own, though the internet helped I guess. My parents never once had any 'sex talk' with me, there was nothing resembling "sex ed" in my Catholic high school.

Somehow I just naturally picked up the knowledge at some point that sex can lead to A) pregnancy and/or B) STD infections, so if you're going to have sex, you should wear a condom.

I'm really bewildered by how there are so many idiots out there who still have no clue about safe sex practices and the dangers of unsafe sex practices. Like there are so many people out there who don't even know what a condom is.

Am I just uniquely smart and intuitive enough to have figured these things out on my own, or is everyone else just really stupid?

Of course I've since become much more well-educated on the details of safe sex and STDs, I've become a peer outreach educator at my local LGBT center where we went through 20 hours of training learning all the details and intricacies of different diseases, their effects, how they spread, and how to prevent them from spreading.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had an abstinence only sex ed class I learned about protection from the book in the library they were mostly about straight sex I wanted to get the safe lesbian sex one but i did not want people to see I was reading it so i didn't get .
    My ex girlfriend I dated online taught me about safe sex for lesbians .

19. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll thank google for all of my knowledge even though I could have done without some of the images.

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The internet. My school isn't the best about sex ed, they're more of the "abstinence is the only answer" kind of school.