1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly do people mean by "Embracing" ones homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

People have told me I should embrace it, but that sounds kinda weird. While I try to be happy with it embracing it sounds too far, its like those guys on pride who go way over

2. phoenix7

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i just feel that you shouldn't be totally defined by ones sexuality, yes embrace it. but then theres BECOMING it

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see embracing it as being meant as the opposite to rejecting it, with the middle ground being indifferent, if a bit unhappy.

I suppose to my mind the difference between embracing your sexuality and just being in that middle spot is that if you embrace your sexuality, you won't sit there thinking 'if someone could take this away from me, that would be better', it just means you are happy with the way you are rather than being over-board proud about it.

4. Hexagon

Being happy with the way you are.

5. C P

C P

Likely the same thing as being 'proud' about it, as in accepting/not being ashamed of it and being yourself.

6. Beware Of You

That is pretty much where I am

7. PurpleGrey

The way I see it, if accepting one's homosexuality is like a straight guy being confident in his heterosexuality, then embracing homosexuality is things like getting involved in causes, subscribing to gay YouTube channels, putting up rainbows everywhere in the house, that sort of thing. Thus, a straight guy embracing his heterosexuality is things like going to strip clubs, hanging centerfolds in his room, watching manly sports, that sort of thing.

8. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say "embracing" being gay means not only accepting it in yourself, but celebrating what is good about being gay, gay culture, etc. To me it doesn't mean you have to re-invent your image to "look gay" or cover everything in rainbows.

I'm working on embracing being gay myself. For years I've thought of myself as being a freak (especially when surrounded by traditional straight people). But I know I'll never be happy if I continue down that self-hating path.

So now I'm immersing myself in things like gay cinema, listening to music by gay composers and performers, and allowing myself to like the "gay" things I always have but suppressed (such as musical theatre).

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally embraced the idea of being gay and it means that you have no fear in being who you are. I mean there are some situations where safety maybe involved and you feel the need to lie but I try to be honest with my feelings depending on the situation. My boyfriend is older and even though he accepts his sexuality he is more conservative about coming out.