1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever smoke recreational marijuana?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skaros, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Before I say anything, the reason I'm making this thread is because I'm doing a report for school about my standpoint on recreational marijuana in regards to the new Colorado law.

Since I'm under the legal age for recreational marijuana, I would try it in a couple years from now. Considering I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, I've learned it's much safer than alcohol and cigarettes. It's also not addictive, so I wouldn't see why not.
    What are your thoughts?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big supporter of legalizing, regulating, and taxing marijuana even though I've never smoked it. Honestly the biggest thing stopping me from using it is the fact that I think smoking anything is completely repulsive.

3. Hexagon

I did when I was thirteen. It wasn't the best idea, given the company I was in, and it was mixed with tobacco. I'd do it again, but I wouldn't mix it with tobacco. I'd probably prefer to take it some way other than smoking as well, since smoking anything isn't good for the lungs. But yeah, I'd take it, if it was affordable, and there wasn't anything nasty in it.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in full support of legal consumption (given similar penalties to alcohol for crime committed under influence), but I've never used marijuana and do not intend to ever do so.

Just watch people bicker like crazy over that, by the way.

#4 Browncoat, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. Techno Kid

I tried it a while back and did not like the taste of smoke in my mouth, but would love to try some marijuana baked goods! :thumbsup:

#5 Techno Kid, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. AlamoCity

I agree with this.

7. Fourth Gate

Just because alcohol and smoking is worse, doesn't make marijuana healthy. And if it's addictive or not would be quite the debate.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's not addictive, from what I've researched at least. People use the argument 'so many people seek rehab for marijuana'. In fact, people are required by law to seek rehab for it, even though they aren't addicted. When looking into the science behind cannabis, there is just no physically addicting substances in it. People can however develop a small mental addiction.

9. Hexagon

Never said it was healthy. But seriously, I'm tired of all this obsession with healthy. I could spend my entire life doing everything possible to remain healthy and extend my life a couple more years. And that makes for a shit life. It's nice to stop caring about that shit once in a while.

10. Fourth Gate

From skimming a little bit on the internet, it does look like it's possible to get an addiction from it.

Is Marijuana Addictive? | Psychology Today
    Is marijuana addictive? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
    Cannabis Use Disorder

Even Wikipedia has it's own (Perhaps not so trustworthy) page for cannabis addiction.

To be honest this came up from five minutes of my google-foo, and i'm not a scientist or doctor so i can't give out an opinion of my own. But it does seem like it's possible to become addicted to Cannabis.

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see what is so fun about rolling up crushed leaves, lighting them on fire, and then breathing the fumes.
    Medical purposes? Fine. But there are a lot of side effects that we need to think about.
    I don't support the legalization of it, but at the same time, I hardly think putting people in jail for it is the answer, either

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope.

No interest in marijuana at all.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd never do it. It's pretty repulsive, and I have no other incentive.

As for others, I don't want them to, but I can't stop it. There are way more important things for the authorities to worry about than marijuana consumption, but I don't believe it should ever be encouraged for any reason but medicine.

14. timo

Been there, done that. It's pretty amazing, if you smoke the good stuff. But it's not something I'd do on a regular basis, once every two months is more than enough.

15. Thedistra

I probably would, though I don't particularly enjoy smoking of any sort. Pretty much like drinking if others are doing it so would I, while I'm in the company of them.

I would not do so on my own.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer it to alcohol by a long shot. You don't lose control, like one when does when drunk; it lacks that dis-inhibiting effect of making you suggestible to doing stupid things. It also makes music sound very enveloping...this can be truly amazing. It also tends to intensify sexual sensation, or at least for me. I recall reading an interview with Carl Sagan, about he enjoyed how it made his mind wander; he'd take showers, and close his eyes, and just contemplate things, then write and revise any insights the next day in a clear state of mind.

One also needn't smoke it; it can be vaporized via a special vaporizing device, or baked into things.

I'd certainly recommend it over alcohol, which to me, is a far more potentially lethal agent.

My main thought, as in all things, is moderation. I feel a few times a week are best, but I think all the hoop-la about it being so bad is exaggerated.

17. Skov

I've smoked it before a few times before so yes, I would. Honestly, it affects you a lot less than alcohol does unless you smoke a ton and start tripping out lol. I'm a firm believer that any drug can be used responsibly. I will say that I think you can get addicted to Mary Jane. I know plenty of people that are high all of the time.

18. Foster

I'm fine with it being legalized, but I would not try it personally.

19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have done it, would do it. Don't see why it's illegal (to my understanding, it's a lot of politics that I won't dive into).

Anyway, I think the addictive quality of marijuana depends on the person taking the maijuana. It's something you can get hooked on, I have friends that have been/are currently pretty dependent on the stuff. But I wouldn't say it's addictive personally - I've never found myself craving it or anything.