1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ppreston9, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

Well i turn 16 on July 1st, which is on tuesday. Then, the next day i take my drivers test :icon_bigg. Anyone got some tips?

2. Trumpetplyer23

From what I've heard from my friends who have theirs, the test is mostly common sense...Like don't run red lights or don't hit little old ladies while they cross the street.

As long as you have good reasonable thinking, you're good to go.

Good luck!

3. Lava421

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How about practice a loooott?

I think I practiced parking so much that my dad got sick of his time being wasted :lol:. But I made sure I was comfortable with driving by the time I got to the test, and that gave me a good mindset.

4. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still can't parallel park, but I still managed to pass. Actually, I pretty much failed the entire parking part of the test. Did fine with the actual driving though.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just practice everything first in the book and you should be fine. And don't hit the curb when you're parallel parking. Lol. I learned out the hard way and still can't parallel park!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the above posters have said, practice what you have learned. Maybe you could ask your dad/mom for a little help in that.

I remember having passed my first exam without being able to parallel park the car. Needless to say I hit the curb a couple of times, before the tester gave up on that part of the test. I still passed, but I can't parallel park properly even so many years later. But I haven't given up hope yet.

Good Luck on the test! :slight_smile:

7. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Don't say what I said...
    I had an older black woman as my examiner and I got in the car and said "Be gentle baby... it's my first time."
    She gave me a death glare...

8. panda

I don't know how it works around the world but here, if you take a recognized Driver Ed course there's a big reduction in car insurance.

9. Hoppip

Dude! That's so cool! I'm turning 16 on July 3rd!

Except...

I'm getting my permit. ;_;

FAIL.

10. Wired106

OO i just got my license 2 weeks ago!! OK MAKE SURE U REMEMBER THIS. i failed the first time because of it, if she tells you to make a right turn at a red light, MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NO SIGN THAT SAYS, "NO RIGHT ON RED", because those are like rare and I just happened to go by one and i made a right turn on a red light when it said not to. it was a stupid mistake because ive never seen one of those signs before lol. and also make sure that you are going 5 miles per hour with in the speed limit otherwise you get a mark, and you can get like a maximum of 15 errors and if you get 1 critical error then you gotta go back lol.

11. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Well, if you were in my state, don't do a California stop....

But luckily, you're not. Just use common sense and everything you've learned from driving.

12. Vampyrecat

DON'T SPEED!

In Australia if you speed it's an automatic fail. I don't know what it's like where you are, but they just changed all the rules here and now if you even go one km over, you automatically fail and cannot take the test for another two weeks....

i'm going to fail when I'm 18..I'm just a leadfoot..I get out onto a highway with a 100kmph limit and I end up at 115 -120 kms.....not good.

13. Cool Beans

Oooh, license. I got mine a month and a half ago. My first time I failed because I mounted the curb twice while parking, but then I passed the second time. The biggest thing is definitely the parallel parking. Just take your time if the test is set up in such a way that you aren't rushed (that is, if you're on a closed course as opposed to the street).

The second thing is just to breathe and relax. Unless your examiner is a terrible, awful person, he or she wants you to pass. If it's like Pennsylvania, you can ask the examiner any questions you have before you really get into the test. And make sure you know what all the stuff in your car does! I hope this helps you a little bit. Er, a lot, actually.

Just relax and do your best. Good luck! (Not that you'll need it.)

14. Malchik89

The best piece of advice i can give you is just KEEP YOUR COOL. Just stay chill and youll be fine. This first time i took it, i was nervous as hell and i failed (also my guy was a jackass). But the second time i was way more calm and way less nervous, and i got my license.

15. otc877

otc877 Guest

Not sure how it works in WI, but in CA...
    +-7mph of the speed limit = auto fail
    Hitting ANYTHING = auto fail
    Aside from the obvious running red lights and what not

Make sure you do your traffic checks. Use the acronym S.M.O.G. before committing to anything (Signal, Mirror, Over the shoulder, Go)

Be calm, confident and all that jazz. I went into the test knowing I would pass, and I didn't miss any points on it.

16. Ty

Ty Guest

Oh yeh, advice..

Swing away.

You'll know what it means at the right time...

17. For you ladies: Wear a short skirt and cross your legs :wink:
    In all seriousness, do something really calming before hand. Don't have any caffeine and listen to some big bands or something :wink:

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :roflmao: I guess she didn't have a sense of humor.

19. Alexander

ahahahahaha! :lol:

I'm taking mine soon too.

20. Nodnarb

Try to be calm, and even if you mess up or do something wrong, don't freak out.

And be careful on parallel parking. I backed into another car when I was doing it....Still got my license tho:slight_smile:

Good luck!