1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by willycubed28, Jan 18, 2014.

1. willycubed28

So I work in the food industry as a server and bartender, and there is this one guy who keeps spouting his opinion on homosexuality and how he thinks it is a sin. Well, yesterday he was listening to a conversation that me and a friend was having and he interrupted and asked me if gay relationships were the same as having straight relationships. Me and the girl said that Yes. The only thing that is difference is it is two men or two women instead of one man and one woman. He then responded "I don't know about that. I don't think they are the same"

I was offended and so was the girl. The girl actually looked to him and said "Man this is 2014. Get with it. We are not in highschool anymore and those kind of questions are not okay. You don't like it then you shouldn't be listening to our conversation"

Does anyone else have problems with this, or have one co-worker that is homophobic

2. Munyal

School is somewhat similar to a workplace, and there are quite a few homophobic people there. I just do what your friend did. Tell him that what he is saying is fine for him to believe, but that he doesn't need to say it out loud, because it is offensive.

I have a few friends that are unconsciously homophobic, and what I do is just tell them what they are saying, and that usually shuts them up. I know of several people that are intentionally homophobic, and I tell them how, even though they may not realize it, they are making themselves look foolish and ignorant.

Foolish is actually an excellent word to use, because it is insulting, yet eloquent.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "those kind of questions are not okay"

See that sentence, that is where your friend lost that argument as far as I can see.

It's not a nice question and it certainly would be nice if nobody thought badly enough of gay relationships to ask it, BUT the question I guess is OK, because it's a question. You have the opportunity to answer it however you want, which you did.

When he said ""I don't know about that. I don't think they are the same" did you ask him to explain his position?

4. Bolin

My job is surprisingly not homophobic. My manager's boss (the district manager) is a lesbian, so I guess that's why. A few of my coworkers even know that I am gay.

5. willycubed28

The thing is I already knew his position because he has said to me several times before that he thinks homosexuality is a sin. I knew what his position was.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell him that I don't believe it's a sin. What is he going to say? Even if he does object, you can mention that Mister Rogers (yes that one) shared the opinion that God loves gay people just the same. And who's going to argue with Mister freaking Rogers? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah but this time he engaged you in discussion. Honestly it doesn't matter if he still spouted the same disgusting opinion he always has, by all means be offended by it quite rightly, but when you have the opportunity to voice a counter, personally I like to. Having said that, I appreciate the restrictions of doing so while you're at work...nothing quite says 'grounds for dismissal' like arguing with a customer...

8. willycubed28

I totally understand where you are coming from Ellia. I probably would, but I didn't want to take the chance of him saying something that would really hurt my feelings. You see I wear my heart on my sleeve, and I didn't want to chance it with me still waiting on tables

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's fine, I'm not meaning to put you down or anything, the last thing I'd want is to have to finish a shift trying to fight back tears... :slight_smile:

10. willycubed28

Well, he already had me on edge with a few other things that he said before he engaged me in discussion. I actually had this guy one time in the kitchen call me a faggot three times, and I told him to f*** himself three times, and then walked out.

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate your job!

12. willycubed28

Haha, why do you hate my job?

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to be surrounded by nasty people. It's not nice!

14. willycubed28

Well, the guy who called me a faggot is no longer working there. I am actually surrounded by great people, and great friends.

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's alright then :slight_smile:

16. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He has the right to say that,you could say what you think and try to prove him wrong.
    If the questions get too unprofessional you can ask him to shut up,and tell him his public point of wiew might offend customers.

But I don't think what he said is offensive,I just see it as his ignorance about the situation.

Alabama does not protect you from your boss on a basis of sexual orientation,but if he also gives you a hard time,you might go up to the supreme court and actually win the case because there have not been cases on job discrimination on a federal level for quite some time now....

#16 Zam, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  17. willycubed28

The thing is all my friends at work thought it was unprofessional of him because of his recent outspoken opinions against gay people in the workplace.

18. PurpleGrey

Mister freaking Rogers??? When did this happen? Is there a link you can post?