1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spontaneous vacations?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unsuspecting, Jan 18, 2014.

1. unsuspecting

I'm 16 and my boyfriend lives in Arizona, so I am currently saving up to visit him in the summer. There is one problem to visiting, my parents would never let me go alone, so i decided I'd buy their tickets, hotel, ect., and "spring" it on them. I am certain my parents would let me go because of 1) they wouldn't let my money go to waste like that, and 2) hey free vacation. I currently have caculated the flight, car rental, and hotel (all around 650$). I realize I need an enteraintment,food, souvenir, and tip bugdet, but feel that I should wait till I have the basics covered cash wise before allocating more which I may not be able to afford. One of the major problems is the distance to the airport, I live in northern Michigan and the closest, and cheapest, airport is obviously detroit, to get better prices I chose O'hare in Chicago (an extra 2 hours making a total of 6 hours). Things at home are covered, because my brother (17) is responsible enough to care for the animals and house. The trip should be around a week, and does not interfere with their work schedule. I also want to state that the trip will not be about my boyfriend, of course he will be with us, but it won't be about him it will be about having fun. What would you do? What would you say? What do you think of the idea?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I would tell them about it...I mean it might not conflict with their work schedule but it doesn't mean it won't ruin any other plans they might have had.

3. unsuspecting

OH of course I'd give them adequate time, I just mean I won't tell them till I have the money set aside, and the trip planned.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, well that's alright then :grin: I was worried for a minute there!

Have you had any thoughts about how you're going to sell the idea to them?

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    its a really sweet idea ... just be sure they are 100% on for it before you pay out any money !!

They might help you with the money side of things too??

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't actually put money into anything until you've told them about your plan, as most airlines you can't cancel your reservation and actually get your money back unless you've ponied up and paid a much higher fare. And even at that, you'd end up eating a cancellation fee. Be careful.

7. unsuspecting

Honestly I was thinking of showing them the cash and the itinerary :slight_smile:, or atleast the fact I have it all lined up (flight, car rental, and hotel) (like the pickup time for the car is a little after getting dropped off, and the car should be back before we head to the return flight). I even checked up on taxi fare from and to the car rental.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like awesome said, if you can avoid putting money down until they know, I would do that. I mean what if they say you can't go!