1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hookup Culture

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does the hookup culture, probably more prevalent with GB men, at least it seems so to me, bother you? Or are you ok with it? Why or why not?

2. Gen

Gen

It is equally as prevalent in the various other sexual communities, but I couldn't care less either way. It is not my place to judge people based on how they choose to go about their sexual relations. It's none of my concern.

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I'm OK with it, insofar as everybody else goes. Just another cultural shift that's going to seem axiomatic and taken for granted in another generation or so.

For me personally, I despise it because I utterly suck at it. I was "groomed" to be the chivalrous, well-mannered gentleman sort; at which I am, in all modesty, a complete master. I could have likely had my pick of potential mates 100 years ago. However, time warp that dude up to today and he has no game whatever. He must find other, lonelier uses for those elegant, white-gloved hands. :frowning2:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm indifferent towards it, more-or-less, and can safely say it's not for me. One phenomenon that is possibly related is men of any orientation treating sex like a conquest, and treating others like "points" on a scoreboard, but otherwise, don't care what someone does in the privacy of their own homes (hotel rooms, parking lots, stalls...)

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing that bothers me about it is that some people have a habit of spreading the 'hookup culture' as the defining thing for gay relationships, as though gay people are only capable of hook-ups and sometimes accidentally fall into a relationship off the back of it...

6. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not something i'm into and goes against how I view relationships\sex, but if it's someone elses thing then all the power to em.

7. Julieno

Hooking up is not soemthing that I am very fond of.

I have to admit that It may happen sometimes as a result of going out and having some beers, but going out (or using the internet) just for that is not something I like to go fpr.

I think sex is way better when you actually care about whether if the other person is enjoying it or not (And so does he) and that is not something you will find easily with hook ups.

Furthermore i think that it leads to seeing other people as pieces of meat and it makes more difficult to go for meaningful relationships later on.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of get the feeling hooking up is an ego thing. I think that's why the guy who lived next door to us where we used to live would very loudly shag 6 or 7 girls a night, so that all the other guys on the floor would congregate around the door as the girl was squealing.

#8 AwesomGaytheist, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally am against it in so many ways but I don't pass judgment on anyone. I just don't recommend risking your health over hooking up. I been tempted before but never engaged in hooking up. It is one of the reasons I prefer dating someone who is older and more mature. I finally have that and hooking up is the least of my worries. It is better to be 22 and be in love with someone your entire life than to engage in potentially dangerous activity. Just my opinion.

10. Hexagon

No, it doesn't bother me. If people want to have sex, let them. I mean hey, it's not my thing. I'm mildly grey-A, and sex isn't much of a deal to me, but what would be wrong with it? Why would I mind what other people do with their sex lives?

#10 Hexagon, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  11. vyvance

Not something I'm interested in personally, but other people can do what they want.

12. Who knows

Who knows Guest

I don't mind other people who do like it but it isn't for me personally.

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ll preface by saying that I’ve never really encountered a hookup culture personally.
    Of the gay people I know, the vast majority is more long-term oriented. And the one gay guy I know who is focused on hook-ups seems to be into them because he wants to and, as far as I can tell, he’s not lying about it to the guys he sleeps with. In fact, the ration of long-termers to hookuppers is about similar among my straight friends.

So, based on that, I’d say it doesn’t bother me too much. As long as we’re talking about adults who are open about what they want, both to themselves and their hookups.

I guess it does bother me on the level that it might not always be an open, honest, adult arrangement.
    I have no hard data, but the impression I get from talking to gay guys around here is that hooking-up, while still common, decreased after Belgium became more open and accepting and gay marriage got introduced. Which, in turn, suggests that for many, hooking up wasn’t what they really wanted, but rather “the next best thing”. Something they did because family, friends and society told them that long-term relationships weren’t possible or acceptable among gay people. If you’re not allowed to have a real relationship outside the bedchamber, then it isn’t too baffling that it becomes all about the bedchamber.

So: I guess it bothers me in so far as some people are probably pressed into it because of homophobia, repression, or because they lost hope for something longer-term.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of times people sort of end up in a hookup, without having one planned. They can happen while getting coffee. And, in most of these situations, the fact that they are simply there and have consented to something else beyond coffee or food is fairly honest without having to discuss it. However, one or both may be cheating. That's not so good.

15. Split Arrows

I have a huge problem with it. I'm the type of person that I don't, generally, enjoy hookups with random people and it seems that a large percentage of the male dating pool is preoccupied with hooking up and just makes me feel like a prude when I don't put out.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm experiencing it to a lot of women now days just want sex and it sucks because i want more . The hookup thing is not for me I get too attached to women i like or that i'm attracted to .

17. C P

C P

The bolded.

Being pretty demi, I don't really get the amusement of just seeing/getting messages from someone cute and be like 'ohhh, let's mess around'.

I personally don't really have a problem with those who do, I just hate how it limits the already tiny dating pool even further. I've had plenty who pretty much made me feel like an outcast because I'm not interested in sleeping around for the sake of it. They question and are baffled at how a guy my age isn't into that. Yeah...

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think so. Or, if not, keeping the relationship open. When I had an experience on a cross-country trip by auto, I hadn't had "it" in a long, long while, so I was like Old Faithful ready to go. I didn't even know the lay of the land as to where I was, far, far from home, but the opportunity seemed too good to pass up, so I took it. No regrets.

There are extremes. There are people who do nothing but hook up ... day in and day out. There are people waiting for a relationship, and it's either happening, or it's not. I will say that, for me, both of these are endpoints that I wouldn't qualify for.

19. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

20. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hookups is something I myself have zero interest in, and would never do.. guess you could even say its against my feelings/beliefs (basically my feelings are that I'd have to get to know someone really well/become allot more than 'just friends' before even considering sex <something like: first friends, then love, then (maybe) sex> )

At the same time with what I stated above, I'm not here to judge others if they want to go on hookups.