1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that people are naturally lazy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andstillimhere7, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Personally I think that everyone's lazy, why? It doesn't take work to move and it doesn't require energy to be lazy. Even Newton's first law applies to this, an object that is in rest remains at rest unless acted upon a force. Whether it be external force or internal force that moves an individual. Anyone agree.

2. 70th City

Naturally lazy? I know I am :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say that everybody's naturally lazy. I will say that people only will do what they need and no more. Most of the time when someone snobbishly says that "people" (a category they feel different from for some reason) are lazy, they're saying "most people don't want to do things that directly benefit me." And those are generally actually rather lazy people.

I don't think lack of motivation and laziness are the same. Ignoring the strict definitions, I think laziness is wanting an end goal without wanting the work to get to it. Being unmotivated is just having no reason to do anything in the first place. There are some grey areas, but I don't think people are inherently lazy, because that relies on the assumption that people serve a collective purpose for others to make use of.

4. Ruthven

Uh yeah that's a gross assumption or whatever. Everybody's an individual hellooo. Me, if I don't work out and run around and stuff, I feel like shit. I love exercise and moving around and stretching.

Currently I'm not working (will find a job after name change) so I begin my day by working out and taking care of the cats, then I'm mostly sitting playing games or on the comp. But I find I get uncomfortable being relatively immobile for too long, so I do stretches and all that whenever I get up. I mean yeah, I do like relaxing and all that, but it's just not healthy and not comfortable for me to do nothing period for too long. I couldn't live like that.

And in terms of something like a job, that all depends. I'd rather be doing something that involves moving, not some office job sitting, but nothing too physical heavy to where I'm completely worn out all the time though. And I want to work with horses, and usually anything involving horses, it's a sure thing that you're gonna be on your feet more and doing stuff.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What he said. XD

Seriously though, yes. People must be motivated in order to work; it is rarely ever for its own sake.

6. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

^ This

7. AtticusJohn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a complete lack of motivation

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the person.
    Some people are very driven.
    I am not. I am a blob. This must be remedied.

9. DangerousHunter

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know that I'm lazy, at some points. To not be lazy & to do hard work, I think about the other people in the world where they can't just sit around like me with perfect health.

10. Nikky DoUrden

Omg I thought about this too some time ago ^^
    And its not Newton law, its nature law called "energy conservation" that objects will take the least-energy path whenever possible.
    Thats one explenation why when u drop an apple it drops to the ground - because it takes more energy for it to decide not to fall down, because it will resist the gravity thus resisting will spend energy.

In that notion, I thought that even people that are very active and losing a lot of energy, do so because for THEM its the least-energy route, like some people tell u they like to do sport. thats strange! why would anyone like to spend energy? well, for THEM its something they *enjoy* thus making them do it is easier than not do it.
    Ok thats too much philosophy and neuroscience and im gonna stop now. :grin:

EDIT:
    good example is why u surf the internet - because after all it takes energy to move your fingers and the mouse and look around... ! ^^

11. leer

some people take longer to motivate themselves but I dont think it automatically makes them lazy .

12. Sitri

I think everything is naturally lazy. But my definition of lazy is a bit odd. My idea of lazy is, you are presented with two paths with the same reward at the end. One is harder than the other so you choose the easy path. In that way, somebody who works insanely hard all the time is only not lazy if there is an easier option that they know of that achieves the same results.

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no such thing as laziness. Just un-inspiring goals and inner conflicts.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just a word to describe someone without any motivation or direction in their life.

And yes, if you have met some of my friends you would see laziness exists in then heart of man.

15. CandyCutes

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do things like normal people would, but i know I'm lazy! I'm the person that could just lay on the couch all day haha :3

16. itsonlyrelative

In psychology the other day we learned about Type A personality types and Type B personality types. Type A personality types were naturally more ambitious and more motivated, while Type B personality types were more laid back and didn't have that ambition. There were both negatives and positives to each of the personality types, but that was one theory purposed. Not sure if lack of ambition and laziness is the same though

17. no not everyone is lazy, some are some arent. im not really sure what i am haha.

18. Huma

I am, but I don't believe everyone is. I know some people who are hyperactive without motivation.

19. man dolen

I'm not lazy, I just don't have motivation.