1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real issue behind school shootings and gun control

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jan 20, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all know school shootings are being a huge problem in our country and the media and everyone else always casts the shooter as evil and that gun control should be enforced everywhere. Of course it is not right for someone to bring a gun to school and to kill people but most people ignore the real issue behind these shootings.

There is a huge problem with bullying and mental illness in schools and other places which can cause teens or college students to act out in violent ways. If there was legislation to protect kids from bullying and help kids with mental illness maybe shootings would drop all over the US.

I been that kid in high school and even college where I was near my breaking out and wondered if I could make it another day without killing myself. I knew exactly how I would do it and I had violent thoughts in my head. Thank God though I never acted on it and got through it.

If teachers were able to stand up and finally do something to create a safe environment in their classrooms that will also prevent bullying and possibly mental illness. Because of the situations I been in I will dedicate my life to fight injustice in schools and to protect minorities from discrimination. That's my life's purpose I think.

What are your thoughts?

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard it before and I agree that mental healthcare is probably a direct route to curbing the amount of shootings.

Unfortunately, mental healthcare is not as controversial or interesting enough as talking about guns, so it seems to be ignored by the American public.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Guns really aren't the problem here.
    I agree that bullying is a big problem in schools.
    However, I'm not sure if that is the cause, either.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I was thinking based on observations. You see the background of school shooters and you wonder their history or how they were treated before they acted on their feelings. I had dark thoughts in school but thankfully I did not act on it. There is alot of progress to be made obviously.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your misconception that it is a teachers fault that people bully or are homophobic in the classroom is very misguided. Yes there are some that are not as protective as they need to be towards all students, LGBT or otherwise. But that is like saying "all police officers need to watch out for guns more".

Second, teachers are not always present everywhere in a school and cannot catch everything.

It is a more complex issue than just bullying however. But your blame of teachers is erroneous. Oftentimes classrooms are safe havens, I'm sorry if your school climate is not one of tolerance but not everywhere is like that.

6. Ticklish Fish

well, american public seems to take issues based on american media... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    and not to mention stigma of mental health care

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I didn't mean to generalize all teachers or schools like that. I just speaking from my situation and other situations like that. I been out of school since 2010 so I am long gone from that. My special ed teacher would sit on their cell phone and ignore bigotry and bullying as it took place and did nothing about all the four years she was in the classroom.

That is why I feel very strong about this subject and want action to take place in schools to help prevent stuff like this. I was born to be a activist and that is what I want to do in life. It is a major issue and since bullying has cause suicides it is more persona than that. A good friend of mine committed suicide because of the depression he dealt with from high school bullying he never got over it and could not handle stressful situations and ended his life. So I have to fight for him and others like him.

8. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No matter what way you look at it, if the shooter didn't have a gun it would have been a different story. I agree however that mental care and people fighting against bullying would help.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Exactly. I can agree with that.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Activists are a wonderful thing and I hope you change the world. I also won't pretend that there aren't shitty teachers out there or bad school environments.

Bullying does affect everyone, not just gay, but those who are overweight, poor, of other religious or ethnic backgrounds than the majority. It should be expunged everywhere.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. I had to deal with discrimination because of my disability so could never dream of coming out in a school with bigotry in it. Even though I was not out it still affected me and it might of been easier to come out if the teacher did something about or even the principal. People have a right to free speech and I respect that but there has to be a line drawn between a opinion and hate speech. To me there is a big difference. You can say "I disagree with gay marriage" but than to say "all fags should die and go to hell" thats a where I would draw the line in a school setting.

12. All41

The real issue is America's fetish for violence and its shunning of sexuality.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't think bullies are the main problem. Which sounds weird, until you think about this: In High School, most of the people are bullies and jerks.

From doing a research about this (ironically) for High School, I found that the main link was that the shooter(s) was mentally unstable due to being bullied (Columbine and VTech are 2 prime examples). Sandy Hook also had a mentally unstable person with a gun. Oh yeah, and remember the other shooting in Colorado? The one at the Batman movie? He was also clearly mentally unstable.

The only shooting I ever saw on record that had nothing to do with mental health was where a kid about 6 to 8 years old shot his sister, and that was on accident. He was playing with his father's gun and the safety was unlocked.

THIS IS WHY WE DON'T LET MENTALLY UNSTABLE PEOPLE HAVE GUNS.

And this is also exactly why I'm all for gun control, but reasonable gun control. If someone checks out as mentally unstable, you don't let them have a weapon, period, regardless of if they have a license or not (which they probably don't).
    If you have to take the gun yourself and shoot them first just to stop them, then so be it. I absolutely hate saying that, but it's better than a bunch of kids dying because someone who's mentally unstable is on the loose.

This is also why I'm for any kind of reform of the way we treat mental health. Almost every country seems to be able to do it better than the US. Why can't we get our shit together?

Now, since a good amount of the shooters were being bullied, that could have been investigated and shut down. That may have helped a bit. However, if you look at the actions and things the shooters would say beforehand (Columbine shooters had an extremely hateful blog and hitlist going), most of that was directly linked to mental health alone, whether or not they were bullied. So I think bullying is a factor and an important one, but not nearly as big as treating mental health.

Another thing to mention is that nearly every single shooter has shot themselves after the fact, because they couldn't take what they had just done throughout their lives.

#13 Jinkies, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are in agreement in that regard.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the great examples. I think the focus on mental health and bullying is what would help prevent violence in schools and the media does not help matters on this subject. Well the media does not help matters in the first place. They are what corrupts this country anyway.

16. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We need gun control for military weapons. However, we need to be more lenient on pistols and other hand guns. People shouldn't have the power to shoot 30 rounds in a single second, it's too much. It can't even be compared to other weapons that are in every day use. What, are people going to find an automatic knife shooter? Is someone going to carry around 100 bats and throw them at people to kill them? The issue isn't necessarily the guns. Crimes are bound to happen no matter what laws are implemented.

If someone comes with a legal assault rifle and starts shooting up the place, wouldn't that be an issue? The issue isn't banning all guns or giving everyone a gun. It's to regulate what guns are allowed and how people can use them. Concealed weapons can very well protect citizens. However, there's no logical reason for military weapons and rapid fire guns to be legally owned by people. Basically, when I'm saying is we should ban military weapons from citizens, but at the same time allow less harmful guns to be used as concealed weapons.

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mental health issues seem to be stigmatized as a weakness rather than as a legitimate medical issue.

You have cancer? People recognize that. You have depression? "Oh just toughen up".

Big world of difference and while I have understanding friends and family, a lot of people tell me to suck it up when I used to get into depressive phases.

Shooters are not necessarily in the right frame of mind to begin with. Mental issues, bullying and media exposure simply add to the mixture. But then again calling in bomb threats or other forms of retaliation are still prevalent out there but usually don't end in deaths so they don't get covered in the news.

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah exactly. Honesty is what makes you a strong person. Admitting you have depression or bipolar makes you a stronger person meaning you accept the diagnosis and are not ashamed of it. I remember the media's reaction when they found out the interpreter at Nelson Mandela's funeral had a mental illness they made him this evil guy who could have started a shooting at a funeral. It is just wrong and degrading to people who deal with it on a daily basis.

19. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think bullying is the problem. Kids have been bullied since the beginning of time Back in the days, when people were bullied, they would go behind the shook and fight each other, now kids come in with an AK and kill people.

20. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that is interesting. You don't hear about suicide due to bullying in the 50's or 60's so I don't know if it was a problem back than or not. Hopefully someone on here can answer that. That is actually a thought I had for awhile and I don't know why it was different than. All I know is bullying has caused suicide in the state where I live so it is a major problem in some places. I think something needs to be done about it but of course I wouldn't want it to interfere with freedom of speech or religion.