1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bras are unnecesary + mini rant about ignorant sister

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwkwardTalker, Jan 20, 2014.

1. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm after reading about a study that has done research that supports the argument that bras are unnecessary. Not only could bras be unnecessary but they could also be doing more harm than good. If you google "are bras necessary" you can read about the study in full from The Huffington Post and other newspapers. For those that do not, I'll just post a couple of tidbits from the Huffington Post. The study was done over 15 years and over 300 women aged from 18 to 35 participated. The researcher found generally women who didn't wear bras developed more muscle tissue that provided natural support. It was also said that the wearing of bras might accelerate sagging. I have read comments from women who say what a relief taking off a bra can be. I have to say I agree with those women. I can't remember which site I read it from but there was a mention of the study having a group of women wear no bra for three months and then for the next three months wear a bra. The women said they noticed a difference. I believe it was a positive difference in regard to not wearing a bra.

Here is my mini rant. I was telling my one of my nieces this when my sister walked in and asked me what did I just say. I attempted to tell her about what the study found out. She tried telling me that was just one study, which I do acknowledge but I tried to tell her that was still one study showing the disadvantages of bras versus zero studies showing the advantages of bras. My words obviously did not enter her ears correctly as she thought that me saying that was one study in the favour of not wearing bras versus no study done to show the advantages of wearing bras was somehow proving her point. Sorry for that long, convoluted sentence. She refuses (as she is wont to do sometimes depending on what topics I talk about or if I say something I find wrong about a movie, even though I say how much I love the movie) to listen to arguments for not wearing a bra and just keeps regurgitating going braless will make your breasts go saggy.

2. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    really, oh im never wearing my bra ever again. people would notice though because i wear an invisible white top to school and no jumper.

3. Sarcastic Luck

The study is probably only geared towards smaller busted women. I've been told by a lot of women who have larger busts that they need bras or their back starts hurting.

4. Rice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If I didn't wear a bra, it would look awful and they would hurt. I wish I had smaller boobs and then could get away with it - I love girls who can wear vest tops and no bra. Sadly, I need to... and i also like the look of boobs in bras!

5. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The study didn't mention breast size but I do agree with you Sarcastic. I'm supposed to be a FF, I think I'm more of a DD but I want to try it out and see. I wish they had mentioned breast size so we could see if it the benefits only applied to small breasted women. They only said women who had been wearing bras for a long time wouldn't get the benefits so I'm hopeful.

6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. I'd like smaller breasts too, but am too chicken to get reduction surgery.

7. apostrophied

Your cousin has a point: one study is not nearly enough to draw any sort of conclusions about a phenomenon. I don't know if it's old wives tales or actual scientific knowledge, but not wearing a bra is supposed to make your breasts sag in the long-term. If it's real science, a single study would be exploratory *at best* and would not warrant a change of habits. Secondly, I would advise against reading reports about a study in the newspaper (vs. reading the study yourself if you are able to read and understand scientific papers) as those reports are known to often be biased or simply completely inaccurate.

In the end, really, why can't y'all just agree to disagree? The thought of going braless makes me shudder (I'd rather never leave the house anymore), but if you feel like doing it, no one should stop you, not even your cousin.

Just avoid sheer tops lol.

8. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  9. Rice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I don't think I would willingly.. Really love that look though, but have grown to like my boobs the way they are.

10. katwat

I have really large breasts and love a braless day but that is about all I can do, one day. If I try to do anything like LOL walk around the house it hurts. Gravity has done a number on me and one of the things that going without a bra for too long or while active does is make my nipples feel like they each have a concrete block attached to them on the end of a long chain OUCH! I imagine for smaller breasts it would be a different story. The only counterpoint to that study I would point out is that if you ever look through books or magazines like National Geographic where there are photos of women in cultures where they do not wear bras there is a lot of sagging after a couple decades and/or a couple kids.

11. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I can see where PUSH UP bras could be harming, but your everyday over the shoulder boulder holder is there for a reason. And people like me who wear a 32G cup, ain't gonna be throwing our only relief out the window.

One study? There's one study of everything that proves it. Multiple studies are needed, and they all need to tinker with variables since not all woman are the same. Shocking, i know.

Go google the benefits of bras. And see for yourself the legitimate arguments for why your bra is helping you.

This is a lovely point as well.

The media loves being able to have something legitimate to back up something most people will like. And for moderately sized breasts, taking your bra off or not wearing one feels great...but I hate even taking mine off to get in the shower.

For someone your cup size trying this:
    a) good luck having no one noticing you going braless
    b) I hope to god you never need to use stairs.
    c) And I hope you don't damage yourself.

Good luck.

12. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    yup, going downstairs bra or no bra; ouch. and i dont wear a bra when i wear a boys top because then its not noticable, girls top and you can tell real easy.