1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military service question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lost taco, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Lost taco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'd like to purse a job in the Australian defense force and was just wondering if anyone had any experiences in any type of military because of their sexuality and if I should avoid the military alltogether or just not say anything about my sexuality or if I should I know know, but if anyone has something to say I would love to hear it.

2. DMark69

I don't know anything about the Australian military, or even how it is now in the US Military. I however served 12 years in the US Army before, and during Dont Ask Dont Tell. In that era, you had to keep quiet about your sexuality or you would get teased, and kicked out. I know it has changed in that DADT was repealed, but I don't have experience since then.

3. Nikky DoUrden

Well u said ur only out to 3 ppl so it means ur not completly out, so there shouldn't be any problems.
    If u feel uncomfortable in the showers u can always take it in the last round or something like that, and anyway u'll be so tired so it wouldn't matter so much.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have zero military experience, but I do have a decent amount of acquaintances (for a non-social person, anyways) who are Afghan/Iraq veterans. They didn't give a rip.

The key, though, is to be confident and comfortable in yourself about it. I can't guarantee anything, but I'm willing to bet any potential hazing would be significantly lessened if you have few insecurities about it.

5. Beware Of You

I know the UK military is tolerant of it, gay people have been able to serve openly for years. Most of the service personnel don't care, there are a couple of meat heads around, I remember Prince Harry confronted a pair of them for harassing a gay soldier, he called them a disgrace to their uniform and to the country.

Since I imagine the Australian military will be closer to the UK one than the US as far as liberalism goes I can't see you having many problems.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ADF is pretty accepting as far as military forces go, but that doesn't mean it'll be very good. And it'd depend if you're going into ADFA for being an officer or not; the officer-cadets are generally well cared for, and there are quite a few reports indicating that sexuality isn't adversely detrimental to how someone is treated. I'm not sure about the rest of the ADF; far fewer reports are published. As far as discrimination goes, race and gender/sex are the worst problems in Defence, but gay men are moderately safe.

7. apostrophied

That's amazing, kudos to him! And the gay soldier must have felt pretty good about having a prince stand up for him!!

8. Lost taco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone for your answers I appreciate it (*hug*)

9. Beware Of You

10. Lost taco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay