1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you dress yourself warmly for cold temperatures?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

This isn't so much a fashion question as a practical one so I'm posting it here. For those of y'all in the northern areas of the country/those who live in frigid areas, how do you layer your clothing or what do you wear for very cold days?

For the coldest weather where I live, I will wear my Woolrich lambswool socks with cowboy boots, khaki pants (with regular underwear), undershirt, polo or oxford shirt, down vest under a softshell jacket (e.g. North Face). Sure, the coldest it'll get here was in the 20s, so this is as far as I have to dress for casual outerwear.

If I have to wear a suit, I just will wear a cashmere vest or lambswool sweater under my coat and throw an overcoat if I have to. My feet are always cold because I hate wearing thick socks under dress shoes :lol:.

2. binda94

i usually double layer like 2 pairs of socks runners or boots if i'm wearing jeans a pair of sweatpants underneath or pyjama bottoms with sweats a long sleeved shirt with 1/2 t-shirts over it a hoody and a leather jacket with a cap

3. Thedistra

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just gonna be outside while walking to and from the car I only bother to wear a winter coat even if its under 0 out. Now if I'm out cutting wood in the woods I put on full set of gear. Hat, gloves, snow coveralls, work boots, and working winter coat. I don't always wear the coveralls, its needs to be around 20 or lower for me to bother.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt, a t shirt, a vest and a running vest and a sweatshirt as well as jeans and leggings as well as long socks. Then I wear a jacket gloves and hat as well as my boots.

It is extremely cold here. Even in frigid new England this is uncommon.

5. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I have to walk to class and it's windy, snowing, and below 0 F, I'll wear boots and wool socks, long underwear or leggings under jeans, long-sleeve shirt (flannel if it's really cold), winter coat with the hood up (same one I wear snowboarding), scarf, hat, mittens, and ski goggles. Yup, ski goggles. When it's windy and the snow is blowing everywhere, it's tough to see otherwise.

When it's only kind of cold, I'll just wear normal jeans and a short-sleeve shirt, plus a jacket, hat, and mittens. Where I am, there's always heaps of snow in the winter, so I have insulated, waterproof shoe-boot things to wear instead of my snowboard boots when I'm not as concerned about the cold.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Three essential items:

1) long underwear

2) a good scarf

3) earmuffs

the rest is the usual stuff: dress in many layers and pray the bus arrives in time.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With the weather right now, this is what I've been wearing outside. I'm wearing 2 pairs of socks, my shirt and my undershirt, my binder (which keeps me warm), 2 thinner coats that I have layered together, my hat, and gloves. I also usually have my headphones on, which helps keep my ears warm.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have my undershirt/cami. Long Johns(long underwear/Thermals) under my jeans, or I just wear one layer of pants. My under shirt and an outer shirt. Depending on the coat that I am wearing, I will also wear a jacket under it. I also have a hooded facemask that I wear and a glove, mitten combo.

9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the winter months, I actual transform into a flannel onion. :grin: However, I've found it's actually fucking impossible to stick long johns under extra skinny jeans :frowning2: Also, because I have shitty circulation, I have to carry around heatpacks so not to lose my hands to the cold. So, I recommend those.

But yeah, triple layer your socks, quad up on your top layers, and try and wear thick pants, or at least with johnnies is really all you can do. Also, invest in a good windbreaking coat. And a cozy toque. And waterproof boots. And mitties. And find someone who doesn't mind being cuddled :slight_smile:

10. Sorceress of Az

I wear two layers of sweats, a heavy winter coat, boots,
    a thick stocking cap,
    a scarf and I wrap the scarf around my face below my nose.
    Oh and gloves.
    My head phones also keep my ears warm and they help hold the hat in place so it doesn't fall in front of my eyes.
    If it rains, I bring an umbrella, if it's windy and raining I wrap a rain coat around my winter coat to stay dry.

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on if I'm just making a quick trip to/from the car, or activity level outside. If I'm running the snowblower, I'll do another layer. When I went skiing last weekend, I wore some thermal compression pants (like these C9 by Champion® Men's Power Core), and a compression shirt, then a pair of cargo pants and a long sleeve thermal t-shirt, then ski pants, a ski jacket, and a moisture layer. Combine this with a pair of thinsulate ski gloves and a winter hat that leaves just my face exposed. When it's this cold out, and I've got to take care of the snow in the driveway, I'll add a pair of sweats to that, and I'll even consider wearing my day/night tinted ski goggles, so my nose is the only thing exposed.

12. apostrophied

Hmm, depends. If it's really, really cold, I wear Uggs, a tee-shirt + a sweater, my down-filled coat, a scarf, a hat, and gloves (sometimes, I often forget them and just put my hands in my pockets). Sometimes I'll wear leggings under my pants, too.

If it's cold, but warm enough that the snow melts a bit and the streets are gross, I wear my Hunter rubber boots, a tee-shirt but no sweater + my down coat, and leggings or jeans. I usually wear a scarf, but ditch the gloves and often the hat, too.

13. tscott

layer1 - thermal underwear and a regular tee, rag wool socks
    layern2 - jeans and a longsleeved polo or turtleneck
    layer3 - another longsleeved polo or rugby or wool swaeter
    layer4 - LL Bean Duck Boots, a winter jacket or overcoat, a cashmere scarf, a wool baseball cap or driving cap, unlined leather gloves or wool gloves without fingertips...bulky gloves or mittens drive me nuts.
    Oh, one more thing...a bit of brandy in a flask

14. Foster

I don't. I try to park close and then I run like hell back inside.

15. Rice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wear a couple of pairs of socks,2 pairs of leggings or leggings then jeans. Vest tops, tops, long sleeve top, jumper/ hoodie. I love my scarf and gloves.

16. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    stay inside under blankets

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moonboots are really warm and comfy.

18. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Usually when I'm inside in cold weather I wear like something like a cashmere cable sweater and a skirt with a belt around my waist over the sweater. I'd probably pair it with like boots and when I'm outside I'll just wear like a double breasted coat over it. I would probably be wearing tights as well.

19. AlamoCity

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just kidding, we all do that :slight_smile:.
    I have honestly never heard of Moonboots. Maybe it's a generation thing because I was born in 1990. I looked at them online and they look different than the boots/shoes I normally see where I live.

20. Mr Scratch

I'm a bit of an odd fish: I've worn long sleeves once this whole winter, and even when I lived in Illinois I was the same. The cold is my friend. But if I have to bundle up, I typically throw jacket over a long sleeve shirt and that's the extent of it. I'm a simple creature.