1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping off Zam (sorry, mate)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Which idea to start first?

1. Idea 1 (fairies)

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Idea 2 (wargs/skinchangers)

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So. It's been almost a year since I've attempted a writing project. And as of right now, got two ideas on the burner.

Now, I'm writing both. Just not sure what to get started with. Here's what I've got:

Idea 1) A young guy, having recently moved, begins receiving vivid, disturbing nightmares and visions. Turns out, he's one of a select few people who are unusually sensitive to the presence of magic and fairies. As it so happens, his new home is located right by a portal to a world inhabited by fairies and magical beings.

He stumbles into the portal. Portal breaks. And of course, he finds himself captured by a chaotic sorcerer, who needs the heart of a (fae sensitive) human to break the barriers between both worlds. The guy escapes and ends up in the hands of a faerie queen. She charges him with the task of defeating the sorcerer and his hoard of minions. As one of the few capable of doing so, his only way back home is to do as the queen commands an take up the mantle of hero.

Idea 2) In an AU where magical beings coexist uneasily alongside human kind, a skinchanger, Hawk, has spent his life sheltered and protected, due to possessing volitable and dangerous abilities.

When his father, his only companion and a fellow skinchanger, is captured as the government rounds up the 'undesired' magical beings, Alone, Hawk must learn to control his abilities before they control him and outlast his foes while he embarks on a quest to free his father from the prison he's languishing in.

2. treasureisland

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like some nice ideas for some escapist literature :slight_smile: I like the first idea best. I think you have a good conflict there in a fantasy context. I especially like the start of the story. The nightmares/visions will inevitably bother him a lot and make him (and maybe others) think he's crazy. And it'll make him question everything about himself. But he's right in the end!

3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whoa, 2 sounds awesome.
    I'd read a novel about wargs as soon as it hit the shelves.

5. jargon

Oooh tough choice. #1 has potential for some really interesting surrealist elements, but #2 seems more original. I think I like #2 because I prefer the Hulk-like story journey towards self-control more than the Superman-like chosen-one theme. Plus, wargs could just use the representation more than faeries.

6. Gen

Gen

Tsk, tsk, Byron. Starting off your writing career by plagiarizing someone else's writing thread. :eusa_snoo

Seriously though, personally, I would prefer to read number one. Though I feel that story would have to be longer than one book right? Reading all of that in one sitting might be mind shattering. Both have potential though. I would say that creating those worlds would take a ton of thought in order to make them seem believable though. Good luck, either way.

7. Nicholas1991

Number one i think - it sounds like you could do a lot more with that idea, and it sounds epic (also i love fairies and magic and whatnot - god im such a stereotype (!) ). like gen said though, it sounds like it could end up like a lord of the rings length type thing.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Got a strong leaning towards number 1, I see. :slight_smile: Which actually doesn't surprise me- I think going off of what work I've done on both, 1's the most developed.