1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone surprised you and 'is' a homophobe?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by C P, Jan 25, 2014.

1. C P

C P

We're always hearing everyone say something along the lines of 'so-and-so may surprise you and be really accepting/supportive' in regards to sexuality matters but have any of you found out later that someone who seemed to have no ill thoughts actually has them?

I ask because I just recently noticed my brother being a bit more outspoken (to my knowledge) with homophobic feelings. He's occasionally said things about gays(specifically flamers or just fem guys) that we've seen on TV or irl over the years, but it's always been in a more mocking tone rather than outright dislike/disgust.

One example of the stronger feelings was about a week or two ago when my cousin was over and she was fooling around with some voice chat app and talking to guys(and girls) and she was talking to this one guy who eventually ended up bringing up having a boyfriend. My brother heard and just yelled out "Wait, he's gay?!" and then "We don't want no gays here" before I came in the room and pretty much told him to shut up and asked what the problem was with it. He then goes on to say "I'm just saying..." in a more calmed down tone but you could see genuine disgust in his eyes/facial expression.

Why this came as more of a shock to me was because, while we hardly grew up around any gays at all(two notable who had kinda bad reps), I had a good friend in high school who was gay(fem at that). He was cool with him and didn't have anything bad to say about the guy(even in this mini fit when I brought him up). I'm not sure what the deal him is; he could've had these feelings bottled up, or at least around me, for all I know. He's done the mocking comments on occasion, as I mentioned, but I don't recall anything on the level of some of the things he has said these past couple years.

2. Abbra

I can usually tell when people are homophobic. It rarely shocks me anymore when I find out people are, because it's just so common.

I recently found out that my best friend is racist and sexist (he's started hanging out with giant rednecks that are rubbing off on him in some bad ways) so I know the feeling.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This guy I worked with told me he was religious and the next day he also said to me that He thinks lesbians are the worst people on earth and he can not stand them . He's also said that if he found out his wife was a lesbian he would shoot her and If your a lesbian or gay and can not conform to heterosexuality you might as well kill yourself . He also turned around and told me he's not judgmental and a good person right after saying it .
    I wasn't shock that he was a homophobe I was shocked that such cruel thinks could come out of his mouth . He doesn't know that I'm a lesbian and he's friends with me and constantly talks to me all the time and also gets mad at me if I don't come into work when he's working but yet he wishes gays and lesbians would just kill themselves .

4. Night Rain

You should have pointed out the hypocrisy in what he said. People are like this people other people let them be and not give them a taste of reality.

5. C P

C P

@Abbra Well I guess I mean on a more noticeable level as well; you can usually tell, yeah.

He has made plenty of comments and stuff, but never on the level of some of the more recent ones, that I was aware of. Those comments could have labeled him homophobic earlier on but it was more of a making fun of tone than what seems to be close to hate/absolute disgust now.

@ stocking Like Night Rain pointed out, you should point out the pure hypocrisy in that. That is just...wow. You can point it out without having to come out.

#5 C P, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would have but I'm not out at my job and most of the people at my job don't take kindly to gay and lesbians . even my friend who is bisexual that works their told me not to come out

7. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    yep, my friend turned out to be one and my conservative christian friend is totally accepting

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Looking back at it I wish I did it's just at home I'm not allowed you know and If I speak out at stuff my dad questions me and ask are you a lesbian is that why you care . I got scared and stop after that . So I don't anymore out of fear

9. C P

C P

You have other Lgbt friends, right? I can't recall as my activity varies here. If you do, you can use that as a reason you are offended(at least to the guy).

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I only have one lgbt friend and my coworker that's bi but we don't hang out outside of work

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know plenty of people who are homophobic, but when someone talks about shooting his wife if he found out she was a lesbian, that sounds like a real nutcase to me. Where I work, even joking about something like that could get you in trouble if a supevisor found out. Not because my employer is accepting of gays and lesbians (they aren't) but statements of violence is a big NO NO, regardless of the reason.

12. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Surprisingly,the person who I thought was most homophobic (he kept on saying he was ok-ish with gay people,but he was raised homophobic) is now best friends with a gay person I know, and I think there might be something going on between them.

Sometimes the most homophobic people are people who are scared at the fact that they might be homosexual themselves!

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I was so shocked when I heard it , the only thing I said is " Don't you think it's wrong to kill someone period " Then he said your right it's a bit too far I'll just give her time to leave and pointed at her .
    I wish I had been stronger you know and said something better , I was such a coward

#13 stocking, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  14. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has happened to me once. My friend is uber religious (Mormon), but all signs pointed to her being relatively accepting of gays. I mean, we were both in musical, and she'd constantly make nice remarks about one of the seniors who is flamboyantly gay (I'm usually not one to stereotype, but he wears purple shoes. It's pretty obvious). She didn't seem bothered by me and my straight friend calling each other our "wives" and such; in fact, she seemed to enjoy the joke.

One day, I mentioned the only political thing I truly cared about was gay marriage. I was still kinda in the closet at that time, but she suddenly said "I don't support gay marriage." I asked why, and she just gave the answers that everyone gives. We debated about it for a while, until she eventually just gave up. I came out a few months after that. She still talks to me, I was texting her today as a matter of fact. However, she seems to avoid me if I start acting "too gay" or something like that. For example, at a school dance, my lesbian date and I came up to her to say hi. She nodded to a few things I said, like when I complimented her dress, but other than that, she refused to speak to me.

15. binda94

my mam and my sister really surprised me wasn't to bothered about the rest of my family or people in school i told my other sister last night i was bi and she was completely cool about it wanted to know who i liked how long stuff like that she's the only one i've told

16. C P

C P

Wait, so she would avoid contact completely if you have a girlfriend?

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think she would avoid talking to me completely if I did have a girlfriend, considering she still talked to me while I was dating a girl. I think she just tries to overlook it, but if she can't, she just ignores me. Like how last year, we sat at the same lunch table and talked everyday. We'd have a blast. One day, my girlfriend got switched into our lunch and sat with us, and my friend ignored me and hardly spoke the entire lunch. She wouldn't even look me in the eye, just glare at me when I wasn't totally looking. It was really awkward. The next day, when the lunches were switched back, she talked like nothing had happened the day before. She confuses me, even to this day. :confused:

18. C P

C P

Haha, well I'd imagine you'd be spending some time with a gf and she'd be in that ignoring fit. It's good she hasn't just dropped you either way. :slight_smile:

19. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone always said that my mom was the most open minded person they ever met. I figured it was safe. Then I told her I was bi and she was the least accepting person, up to the day she died. So yeah. My mom fits in this category.

20. Destiel

I usually can tell when someone is homophobic because I've been growing up around them but it did shock me when I found out one of my guy friends hated homosexuals. We were at my youth group one night and I was talking about supernatural with him and made on off handed comment about my destiel ship and BAM! He went berserk about it. He kept saying out it was immoral and all this stuff and the fact I shipped it was repulsive - he has yet to figure out I'm pansexual. I think that was the only time I had misjudged someone being homophobic.