1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go about learning a dead language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Necromancer, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

This is inspired by the other thread on learning languages, but focused on languages not in use. In my case, this would mean Old Norse I've scoped out a new textbook on Old Norse and a slightly older three book series, but I can't take a formal class because my community college doesn't offer stuff like that, and the state university that offers it is UCLA, which I am trying to transfer into in Fall '15 but have no guarantee of gaining admission to.

I know it's a very odd choice of languages, but in my case it makes sense. I'm trying to get into UCLA for Archeology, and I want to focus on Scandinavia and the British Isles. I would run into Old Norse all the time during digs, and being able to read the Sagas in their original language would be quite the boon to my understanding of the Medieval Scandinavian way of life.

2. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's cool. I would also like to learn ancient languages. I would say that the best way to go about it to the best of my current knowledge, is to do a lot of studying and research. I can't imagine any other way of going about it besides finding a class or person that teaches it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a whole bunch of people who have studied it, I can ask if they have any book recommendations, but that's about all I can think of.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you planning on learning the language from a linguistic background, or a polyglot one? Because there's a huge difference between knowing the ins-and-outs and maybe a few words and phrases, and actually being able to carry full conversations in a dead language, with the former being a lot more common and doable.

I'm also majoring in a related field, and have always been fascinated with Northern Europe, so have a few books on West Germanic languages like Old English, Frisian, and Saxon, but unfortunately, none of Scandinavia itself (unless you count phrase books that barely scratch the surface).

Let me know if you're interested.

5. Yurian

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm studying 5 languages at the moment, 6 if I include Latin. I kind of separate them because I learn them very differently. I'm not studying Latin with the aim of one day being able to SPEAK it, not at all. So far, what I have studied the most is just pure grammar to be honest (and wow, grammar takes a while to learn when you can't understand the language and use your intuition much). Anyway, we do get to read, analyze and translate many old texts (we're doing the Gallic Wars by Caesar atm). It's very, very interesting, and you really do get a much better understanding of the old culture when you also undertsand how their language worked. So, go for it! I'm sure learning the language would add a whole new dimension to your studies, whether you obtain fluency in it or just study it from a linguistic pov.

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Thanks.

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2014 at 10:38 PM ----------

I want to know enough to read inscriptions and, if possible, the Sagas, but I severely doubt that I need to be able to carry a conversation, and if reading the Sagas means taking a lot of time to translate stuff instead of reading it off the bat like a language I truly spoke, that is acceptable.

I am interested in Old English and Saxon. Should come in handy. If anyone has Latin, that would also be useful. A lot of materiel written regarding the Norse and Celts is written in Latin, and it may be smart to focus on the early Medieval Era as a whole rather than throw everything into Scandinavia, in which case Latin would be tremendously valuable.

#6 Necromancer, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  7. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    One of my dreams in life is to learn latin

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

A factor to consider is that I also have to study a modern language to meet GE requirements. I'm deciding between French, Spanish, and Japanese. I have learning problems when it comes to language, so I have to pick carefully. Old Norse isn't too bad, and I'm not learning to be conversant, so that one isn't a problem. Same with Old English. Latin is a bit harder, but I don't need to be conversant there, either. Luckily, my strength is reading and writing and my weakness speaking. I'm leaning towards Japanese, because it is probably easiest for me. The hard part of the language is the writing system, which is where my strengths lie. Spoken Japanese is supposedly relatively simple and easy. I have to be somewhat conversant to pass my modern language classes, so that makes Japanese very attractive. If I go that route, I could minor in Feudal Japanese studies and major in Medieval European studies, leaving Japan as a backup option for finding digs to go on or give me something to switch to for a bit of variety.

#8 Necromancer, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  9. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    I know where I live you can take a college latin course after you take the sats

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

My college lacks a Latin department.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A Guide to Old English: Bruce Mitchell, Fred C. Robinson: 9780470671078: Amazon.com: Books

An Introduction to Old Frisian: History, Grammar, Reader, Glossary: Rolf H. Bremmer Jr.: 9789027232564: Amazon.com: Books

Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages: Orrin Robinson: 9780804722216: Amazon.com: Books

Viking Language 1 Learn Old Norse, Runes, and Icelandic Sagas (Viking Language Series): Jesse L. Byock: 9781480216440: Amazon.com: Books

An Elementary Grammar of the Old Norse Or Icelandic Language: George Bayldon: Amazon.com: Books

A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic (Dover Language Guides): Geir T. Zoëga: 9780486434315: Amazon.com: Books

Hrm, yeah, I wasn't quite sure where you were coming from exactly, but since you mentioned "sagas" and "digs", I think the third to last link might prove the most beneficial for you, since they go into rune stones and such.

The first three books I either have, or have read enough to know the gist of content covered, and they have a nice balance covering the history, grammar, vocabulary, and dialects, so they're nicely balanced for someone interested in a more holistic view. The rest were quickly searched for while browsing their selections on Old Norse literature.

The book by Robinson, especially, covers Gothic, Old Norse, Old Saxon, Old English, Old Frisian, Old Low Franconian, and Old High German, giving an overview of their origins, spread, relations with the others, a few phrases to analyze, and references for further reading. I have to say, this thread has gotten me interested in going back to my research, since months of depression, and now school, have made continuing interrupted a bit more difficult.

12. If you need to learn a contemporary language, why not make it easier for yourself and study Icelandic? It's the Nordic language closest to old Norse and I've heard that will be able to read old Norse if you know Icelandic.

13. Hartofgold

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I had latin in high school, and it wasnt nearly as fun as I thought it would be.

14. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It'ss not on the list of acceptable languages for that requirement.

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

To elaborate, there is no SAT test and no classes are offered.

16. Juliette1428

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm learning Latin and I love it. Old Norse is a pretty cool language, I've always been interested in Norse Mythology.

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Leaning so-called "dead" languages is fun, who is to say they are dead, as long as they are still taught in schools and learned and understood by people, they are alive. And 'dead' languages like Latin and Ancient Greek live on in the forms of their descendent languages, not only the obvious (all the Romance languages and modern Greek), but also tons of English vocabulary comes from Latin and Greek, so studying them can really help with your English vocabulary. Learning Latin and Greek can also really teach you to be much better at grammar, understanding cases, declensions, conjugations, person, number, all the functions a word plays in a sentence...all really can help you understand and grasp grammatical concepts not only in that language but also in English and any other language you speak or study.

I studied two dead languages (Latin and Ancient Greek), I was much better in Latin than in Greek, but I found both fascinating to study.

In a way it makes it easier since you only have to focus on being able to read and write the language, not have to worry about being able to pronounce the language or need to use it in conversation. It allows you take a much more analytical approach to studying and learning the language, which is why it helps so much in developing good grammar skills.

Now as for Old Norse in particular, I'm afraid I can't comment much on how to go about studying it and how much usefulness it has in terms of building vocabulary and grammar skills. I'm sure it probably would help at least a little bit in later studying modern Scandinavian languages. Good luck with studying it though, I do find the whole idea of Old Norse as a language to be fascinating.

But if you or anyone else here ever does decide to study other dead languages, like Latin or Ancient Greek, feel free to message me if you ever need any help or just want someone to practice with! :slight_smile: (I love practicing my Latin skills.:grin:)