1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does heat add volume to the hair?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kylegf2011, Jan 26, 2014.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have seen that to build volume for your hairstyle you need to use a hairdryer and that only that will add more volume, its not the same to just use wax for example, than to put it on hair that has been blow dried.

So does anyone know why? Cause I would like to use a blow dryer, but my parents don´t like the idea of a guy using a blow dryer... and then I´ve also heard it damages your hair... so what is it about heat that adds volume??

2. AAASAS

I don't know if it's the heat or just the air blowing that possibly separates hair strands making hair take up more room; rather than being more tightly clumped together. Hot air may just be more comfortable for more people than cold hair when blowing in their face. The heat option on a hair dryer is to dry your hair not necessarily to add volume. When I don't dry my hair with a towel and let it dry from air alone, my hair looks smaller, but if I dry it with a towel faster and am ultimately moving and separating hair strands like a dryer would my hair is a lot poofier. The difference is so large I get asked if I got a hair cut if I don't dry my hair with towel.

There is a cold option on a blow dryer to, which I think again reinforces the idea that it's just the act of drying hair in that fashion that adds volume and not the heat itself. I've never used a blow dryer for things other than drying a wet spot on clothing, but I think the fact the blow dryer blows your hair and separates the strands drying them as individual strands makes them take up more volume. If they dry with no aid they are clumped together in the least amount of space possible. So I think a towel would do the same thing, a blow dryer is just more convenient for those with a lot of hair and where a towel can't absorb all that moisture; a.k.a the majority of females.

I'm sure females with short hair don't feel the need to use a blow dryer.

Humidity adds volume to peoples hair because of the moisture content in the air.

I don't think you can really BUILD actual volume in your hair if you don't have enough hairs on your head. You can only imitate volume. And why bother?

#2 AAASAS, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014