1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birthday greetings on Facebook

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by method, Jan 26, 2014.

1. method

Still undecided, but I'm thinking to remove my birthday from Facebook this year.

You know, when your day comes around, you suddenly hear from people who never talk to you.

I used to appreciate the attention, but now I kind of feel like most of the greetings are kind of hollow.

But then again, I would feel like I'd be closing myself off opportunities to reconnect with people who take the time to leave a message.

If you have Facebook, is your birthday on your profile?

2. Ticklish Fish

do they just type "happy birthday" or something more like "how are you?"

and yes, my bday is on my profile.

but then again, I have people who NEVER wrote bday on my wall but i write back anyways. it's just the satisfaction of being the more courteous one lol

3. method

Well, of course it's a mixture of longer, more personal messages, and just "happy birthday"s

4. sharkpool

you could show your birth date on your profile and disable the option that lets people write on your wall. that way, the people who care about you, will send you messages. those who don't consider you a friend, won't bother (hopefully you don't consider them your friends either lol).

5. method

Yeah, this was the happy compromise I was thinking of.

I would only worry though that people who couldn't write on my wall might think I had blocked them or whatever, and get offended.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I think it's a dickish move to just hide your birthday because you don't want the attention, but it's more understandable if you remove it permanently. What harm is it in people leaving a kind message or not leaving one at all? Sure it may seem hollow, but so are many of the posts on Facebook. If it's because you don't really know these people, then it's better to ask yourself why are you FB friends in the first place?

Personally, I use my birthday greetings as a way to privately message and catch up with people I haven't seen in a long time. It's actually been very fruitful since I'm an introvert and don't go out much.

7. sharkpool

fair point.
    fun fact: i've seen people tagging the birthday person on a post of their own because they couldn't write on the other person's wall. how cute is that!

8. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    You could change your birthday to a day other than your birthday to make people look stupid and learn who really cares.

9. method

I'm kind of in this weird place where I both would like to reconnect with old friends, and ditch everyone I know and start new. I've always been the nice guy. Kind of toying with the idea of being a bit of a dick to be honest. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I need change in my life I think.. :/

10. Nicholas1991

I used to wish people happy birthday...but noone ever returned the favour. So screw them they get nothing. Yeah im not bitter :icon_bigg

11. timo

Mine is on my page, yes.

When it comes to writing birthday messages, I only write them to people I actually speak to every now and then. No point in wishing someone a happy birthday when I haven't seen them in four years (why do I even keep those people as 'friends') (oh I remember, slightly stalking seeing what they're doing in life is pretty cool)

12. Emulator

I left mine there for some to see last year. The previous year I hid it. There is a significant change in the amount of wishes (granted, most don't know my birthday), but quality of them? At least they bothered to write on my wall that day.

On my part, I don't like wishing others publicly, so I message them instead.

13. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with you. Some people who literally never speak to me wish me happy birthday when that happens through there. This year, far less have done so however and I dunno how I feel about that. If I want to wish someone happy birthday, I just send them a private message or say it in their face, rather than simply getting it over with like that.

The internet is arguably causing a lot of distancing between humans through these social networks.