1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swears

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The_Poets, Jan 26, 2014.

1. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Heyy, so I have been thinking a lot lately about swear words, and the meaning behind them. I'm not talking literal meaning, but rather the origin and the usage adding up to mean something a lot worse than society realises.

For example...

The F word means sex but when applied in the way "f you" it is (in my mind) the equivalent to "I want someone to rape you"

or the other F word (the absolutely terrible one) it's origin comes from the pile of sticks that used to be used to burn gay people, therefore in my mind calling someone the f word is the equivalent to saying "I hope someone burns you alive over a pile of sticks because you don't deserve to live".

Maybe I'm taking these swears a little too literally, but I can't be the only one who thinks this way.

What do you find the meaning behind swears to be? I find it Interesting to hear because it gives you a new perspective on how powerful words are.

Also what age do you think is an appropriate age for kids to learn the swear words.

I personally think as soon as they can know right from wrong they should learn what these words really mean before they learn them somewhere else.

Also keep this thread pg 13 please

2. gaymersofter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How is this adding up to you? :confused: Wanting to have sex with someone isn't completely the same thing. Sex is generally done with 2 consenting people. Rape is where 1 person consents, but the other doesn't or cant at the moment. So can you elaborate on this.

3. Ridiculous

'Fag' as a derogative does not come from this origin, despite how many people say it does. Fag and faggot were originally used as derisive terms for women, and almost certainly this was extended to cover gay males because of their perceived femininity. Online Etymology Dictionary

As for deciding words shouldn't be said because of their (supposed) origin:
    [youtube]QZ0Ny6WhfLU[/youtube]

4. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    Definitely, first off I want to point out that this is totally my own opinion and I just want to see if anyone else puts way too much thought into everyday things like swearing. Second of all rape can be towards men too and all though it is less heard of it's not less common. Third of all when someone says f you it's generally not given with the response yes, therefore it falls under the one person consenting boundaries of rape (I'm not saying it is rape just that the f word in some situations means rape in others sex). Also replace the sentence "go f yourself" with the sentence "go rape yourself", while only one sentence is considered acceptable by society, the meaning doesn't change. I hope you can kind of see where I'm coming from, but remember this is my own way of thinking and in no way do you have to agree with me.

5. Sarcastic Luck

Uh. That makes no sense at all. You're also forgetting that words have multiple meanings depending on context.