1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incentive

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I want to be a music video producer and dancer when I'm older, so where do I start with the Video thing? Akso is it appropriate to have a stage name as a dancer/choreagrapher? I don't want to use my real name.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're like most 14-year-olds in this day and age, you have a phone capable of video recording...and a computer capable of editing. So start making videos already. Pick a favorite song to make a video for, come up with an idea for the video, and start filming (and editing). And don't you dare say "But I don't have any money to do what I really want to do". Almost no producer/director does. :slight_smile: Figure out a way to bring your "vision" to the screen - that's what producers/directors do.

And yes, it's totally fine to use a stage name. I adopted one when I was 18, and I'm not even on the stage. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. ZenMusic

It's Zen.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2014 at 01:11 PM ----------

And how would I make a music video when the singer isn't here?

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2014 at 01:11 PM ----------

And how would I make a music video when the singer isn't here?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    * Lip-synch it yourself.
    * Have a friend who likes to perform lip-synch it.
    * Use puppets.
    * Animate drawings or computer images.
    * Don't have any singing or lip-synching in the video.

A wise rat once said "You're seeing obstacles not opportunities." :slight_smile:

I know a musician in Britain who recorded an album (no - nobody you've heard of), and made a cheap-y video for one of the songs. He told me he wanted to make more videos, and I asked if I could make one. He said sure - go for it. Since getting him to lip-synch for me 12,000 miles away didn't look likely, I simply asked a bunch of friends if they would lip-synch the song instead. I gave each group of friends one section of the song to mime singing and playing to, and then I edited it all together. The musician was extremely happy with the results.

Lex

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "And how would I make a music video when the singer isn't here?"

90% of your ideal job is figuring out how to do this with less than than half the things you need to do it with. Unless you're literally the best of the best of the best you will never, EVER EVER be handed all the tools you need to do the job right away.

If you want to be a video producer, you're going to have to deal with your equpiment not existing, going missing, breaking down, fucking up, catching fire or worse. Your performers attitudes, messing around, being late, screwing up, getting it wrong, making 'creative changes' and so much more. Your boss, the guy with the money, the guy who makes the tea, your performers and everyone else telling you how you SHOULD be doing it and how you're doing it wrong.

I did audio engineering for a year at uni, and my lecturer gave us some advice. "When it all goes to shit, MAKE SHIT UP!". If your singer isn't there, use someone else...use a dog...your hand...yourself...a puppet made of string cheese...you're practicing skills right now, don't worry if it looks bad for a start, just mess around until you figure things out.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know nothing about dance, but aside from god given talent you need to work... A lot. Refine your craft if you want to make it big. I have no idea how to make it in the music biz, but best of luck.

P.S. Holly, that "puppet made of string cheese" was epic.