1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preferences

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZenMusic, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Is it bad to say you're mostly attracted to White and Asian Men?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No...?

It probably would be if that was the ONLY thing you liked about them and still went for it - imagine a choice between an asian guy who exhibited all the personal and physical traits you hated most in the world, and a black guy who exhibited all the personal and physical traits you desired most in the world, and you turned around and said "Sorry bro, but I gotta get my asian fix! THAT would be bad...but otherwise its a preference...

3. ZenMusic

Thanks, just wanted to be sure I wasn't being prejudiced. I'm black and I've always had a thing for white boys.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Nah it's as much a part of your unique sexual preference as anything else.

5. willycubed28

You like what you like. Do not feel bad for liking what you like ;-)

6. LiquidSwords

I think it's fine to have a preference but I don't see why it would ever be necessary to actually say it, best just to filter out potential partners in this way in your head tbh, to avoid risk of offending. I can see why someone wouldn't like to be turned down because of their 'race' especially if they're a minority.

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think its bad. To be honest I'm more attracted to Asian women. I don't have anything against anyone else, it's just a preference.

8. Im Just Me

Personally, I think race is like any other physical feature. Saying one is a deal breaker is kind of messed up, but in the end, people have preferences lol. I mean, it's how they look, and you are attracted to what you're attracted to. You know?

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's fine to have preferences, but ultimately it's a dangerous game to focus first on race or color because you might be too narrow in your options. No one is really colorblind (thought some fool themselves into believing that), and it is in human nature to distinguish between "us" and "them". However, it takes society and our upbringing to transform that inherent bias into either something negative or positive.

There was a famous 1940 US study on black and white girls who were in racially segregated schools, showing that both sets of girls favored white dolls over black dolls. I'm not saying this is what's happening for modern day people, but it is an example of how society can influence what is considered desirable. Sometimes you just have to train your brain to pay attention to the wide diversity, and beauty, of facial and bodily features that make each person unique.

I say all this because as a brown (Indian) guy who grew up in a majority-white area, I am sometimes uncomfortable with the preference I've developed for white men, and I think this probably has to do with the US media often having a white face/body as the standard of beauty. Just do a google images search for "hot guy" or "hot actor", and you'll see that dark-skinned men are still an uncommon sight.

10. Huma

Not at all. I also have a strong preference for certain races.

11. sparkly glasses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You like what you like but as long as you keep an open mind. When I first started coming out I never thought I had a type, then a friend of mine point out that virtually every women I found attractive had a lot in common. Not just how they look but how they dress and they way they are. BUT...both the women I've dated are completely different to that. Didn't mean I wasn't attracted to them though. Just don't limit yourself and be willing to go with it.