1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you draw the line? When is a gay comment just not acceptable?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BadCanadaJoke, Jan 28, 2014.

1. BadCanadaJoke

I think we all like to laugh at ourselves... It's healthy, it means you have no issues with who you are, your flaws, your weird interests... A "you're so gay" comment after you tell someone you're watched "Mamma Mia" for the 100th time... is OK. Hell, I even say it to myself... Some times I act like such a 13-year old teenager I have to restrain myself from going all obsessive psycho...

Even so, do some guys just..overdo it? Mostly straight guys who think pulp fiction and Die Hard are the best contributions the US has made to the World since the abolishment of slavery... Is thinking and saying you're not homophobic, enough of an excuse for you to be able to go all Eminem?

If someone is being sensitive and he's called gay, is it OK to be offended? Is it OK to correct the person being "offensive"? Are they even being offensive even if they mean well and are trying to make a "joke"?!
    When is a gay joke...too much?

#1 BadCanadaJoke, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't know. maybe when you can tell that it was meant to hurt you.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pulp fiction sucks, but Died Hard is definitely on of the best contributions the US has ever made...but what did Eminem do? I'm confused!

Anyway...there aren't rules for what you can and cannot find offensive. Personally, I find it difficult to believe I'll ever get to a point in my life where this:

[​IMG]

isn't an appropriate response to almost anything. Heck if my brother came out to me RIGHT NOW I'd probably think that was an appropriate response, but only because I know he'd find it amusing.

Having said that, I also understand why other people would take offense to it, and that's fine. In the circumstances you mentioned, all "you're gay" means is "That sentence fits a well known gay stereotype", but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

I think it's fine to be a bit cheesed off if someone makes their joke and it goes a bit too far, because I mean you can tell them it's too far and most of the time they will stop, I try and leave 'offended' to actual aimed insults...

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on who's saying it. If it's a close friend who I'm out to, I'm generally cool with it since my friends and I give each other shit about everything all the time. And usually I'm the one making jokes about it. But if it's someone who I'm not out to, I'd have more of a problem.

5. orie

orie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I guess it's totally personal. You can feel it right away when it has 'crossed the line". React! otherwise the line will be pushed further...

6. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I have to agree, Die Hard is the best contribution that the US made to the world since the abolishment of slavery.

And, I usually try not be offended because normally they are using "gay" as meaning like feminine or weak. I just mainly ignore what they are saying anyway

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the intent. For example, I'm okay with the word "tranny" on its own.
    When it's used in a neutral (or even affectionate) way, I'm cool with it.
    However, when it's used as an insult (usually accompanied by "freak" and the like), then I'm not so okay with it.

Same with "gay" and "fag".

I have thick skin, but resorting to petty insults isn't something I'll ever approve of.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand it when people ask me, "Oh you're gay? Do you think I'm attractive?"

9. BadCanadaJoke

Nice points y'all made! :slight_smile: completely agree! :slight_smile:

Does the way you'll take the comment depend more on who's saying it, or the intent?
    Maybe someone who knows you're gay will say it with a good intent...

But... is it possible that even something said with a good intent be offensive?
    I mean, is there a line you mustn't cross?

If even between friends, there's no line that separates offensive and funny, does this mean that as a community we should accept the use of the word "gay" to mean something besides a sexual orientation? Do we, by allowing our friends and ourselves to use "gay" to mean "effeminate", allow other people to use the word gay in a derogatory way?

10. donnie5

It takes alot to offend me and people usually avoid it because my lovely sarcasm and wit will smack them back before they get the chance, But I cant recall someone saying "you're so gay" to me if they had I would consider that offensive to a degree. Even if your friends with the person it doesn't really seem like a term of endearment to make that comment about someone's behavior.

11. BadCanadaJoke

I don't mean it only to "you" personally... I'm talking about a situation where someone makes that comment regardless of where it's going...

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It really depends if it's my dad I correct him but i can't correct my mom even though once I had but she accused me of being a lesbian to shut me up . It was when that kid killed himself when he got video taped having sex and my mom said he deserved it for having gay sex in his room and that she feels sorry for the kid that video taped him and I said mom someone died and your sorry for the person that caused their death then she used some excuse like He was dating a 40 year old man and he got was coming to him then I said she was out of line for saying something like that and she said are you worried some one will catch you having sex with another woman that's why you care so much .

13. donnie5

well I have to think about it in terms of "me" because the only answer to that is people's personal opinions. There are no set rules on weather that kind of language is offensive or not it's going to be up to the individual in the situation, and weather they found it to be offensive.

14. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sometimes the point of an insult is to attack you or make you feel uncomfortable. I've never really had an issue with gay jokes because my sense of humour is so dark, sarcastic and sardonic that I usually end up making a very sexual rebuttal that makes the opposition feel uncomfortable. That's how I defend myself, but I really don't know where that line is between funny and entering the bigot territory.

15. awesomeness

It's pretty simple. If it's meant as a joke, then it's cool. If it's meant as a hate comment, then it's crossing the line. I think most times you easily tell if something was meant as anti-gay or not

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. And to clarify the last sentence, that would include someone who is prying or suspicious, and feels the need to make a snide remark ... or outright ask. No one has asked me outright, but a few make snide remarks. Sadly, the majority of these remarks come from women. I don't know why that is. Maybe it just doesn't matter.

17. Mr Scratch

The only line I draw is hate. Allow me to explain.

My best friend has a habit of calling me a fat fucking faggot. This particularly colorful turn of phrase only tends to crop up when he's on the boiler plate: like when I'm kicking his ass at Mortal Kombat, for example. This doesn't bother me because I know it comes from a place of brotherly love. I've called him some pretty atrocious things as well in the heat of good sportsmanship. We're stand-up comedy fans, so we don't have a lot of boundaries when it comes to trying to be so offensive to one another that we make each other laugh (one of our favorite running gags involves the phrase "Quit being a faggot and suck that dick!" If you recognize the comedian, you're okay by me.)

However, if we were out in the world and some random hillbilly stranger called me a fat fucking faggot, my best friend would turn the guy into lawn mulch.

It's all about context. You'd never hear us say to a perfect stranger the sorts of things we say to one another when we're in the privacy of our own home. We're self aware enough to know that what we find appropriate/funny isn't going to work for everyone, and we would never say those kinds of things to someone with hate in our hearts. And that's where I draw the line: hateful intent.

18. Kreiger

I've got kindof a sick sense of humor, so I generally won't mind any gay joke as long as I think its funny. If the person is actually a moron or trying to be offensive, that's generally where I get annoyed.
    If the joke itself is bad, I'm more offended at them for wasting a shot at comedy in order to be a hackneyed homophobe. Although that might just be me.

19. ZebraJynx121

I have two older siblings that love to crack jokes together. When I came out, it just gave them access to even more jokes. At first it was funny, but now it's just become a nuisance. I dislike when people only use my sexuality as a joke and never joke about anything else.

20. Skov

Like others have said, it all depends on the intent. If my friends call me "gay" or a "fag" I really won't care because they aren't trying to hurt me. If someone is using it negatively, then I do get a little irritated.

Only one thing will offend me no matter what context it's used in and no matter who it is said by (unless it's a friend joking about people who say this being an idiot). That thing is when people refer to being gay as a "lifestyle." It isn't ever funny and is almost always extremely offensive to me.