1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do some people think that a femme lesbian is saying she's lesbian for attention ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Jan 29, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm asking this question because I've been hearing this of for a while now There was this youtube I use to watch and she's a femme lesbian she came out as lesbian on youtube and a few people from her high school found it and strangers as well were leaving nasty comments saying she was doing it for attention she made another video trying to explain that she was not doing it for attention and also asking them to stop bashing her .
    So far it didn't go well from the comments I read still claiming she was an attention seeker . I remember going back to her channel and watched a new video where she went butch because she couldn't take the harassment anymore . another incident use to watch the show bad girls club and on one of the seasons I can't remember which one they had a lesbian on there that was named Shelly , I was watching videos of what people thought about the girls on the show and one guy said he couldn't stand her and that he thinks she's saying lesbian for attention . I was thinking there it is again . I'm wondering why do people think that femme lesbians say their lesbian for attention and have anyone ever said this to you if your a femme lesbian ?

2. katwat

Re: why do some people think that a femme lesbian is saying she's lesbian for attenti

I'm coming at this from the old straight woman angle so.... but I have had to deal with people like my father who was anti-everything-other-than-the-perfection-which-is-me. People who are anti-other generally deal in stereotypes and do not want to be troubled with that which does not fit this neat little box I have made for you. So if someone is attacking a femme lesbian as being fake or out for attention then they are dealing with some stereotype of lesbian and rebelling against anything different. I know my father could not stand the idea of a well-spoken, educated, successful black man. It just had to be a hoax because "everybody knows black men are (insert your own racist ramble of hatred and stupidity here)." Since he was an equal opportunity jerk I got exposed to a lot of stupid thinking. Step outside the rational and go into the nuts-zone and you will understand people who attack others for being themselves a bit better. Anyone who sets out to tear another person down is so small and hollow and cheap inside themselves that you have to think small and nasty to get close to their mindset.

3. KWDBM

Re: why do some people think that a femme lesbian is saying she's lesbian for attenti

Because some people are stupid? Sorry, but.... Imo that's kinda what it boils down to. From my personal experiences, the people who think femme lesbians aren't for real are mostly the same people who hold tight to those old gay stereotypes. Butch woman = lesbian. Lesbians have cropped hair, smoke, maybe have some tattoos, know how to ride a motorcycle, fairly buff, etc etc. When your knowledge of the term "lesbian" is attached to that mental image, I guess it can make perfect sense to think that "femme" lesbians are just doing it for attention.

4. Cass

stereotypes- that's why.
    the same thing happens to bisexual people.
    They always say "no ones 'bi'" or a bi girl is straight and looking for attention while a bi boy just wont admit hes gay -_- people...

5. DrkRayne

Stereotypes.

Some people make boxes for everything in the world. Straight women are like this, Lesbians are like that. Asians are like that, Blacks are like that.
    When a person doesnt fit into the little boxes a person made, they are lying, not who they say they are, its fake etc.....

Also for some men, when a women who is socities ideal for a straight women comes out as gay, some men don't like it and want to keep living in a fantasy land that this woman will one day want him.
    Its just stupidity.

6. Hexagon

People are assholes

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

A lot of people can't understand that women are sexuality independent of men's wishes. If a woman is traditionally attractive to men, then it follows in their minds that she must be waiting for a man. A woman who exercises her sexuality and enjoys sex without men must of course be faking it for attention. Why else would she look good for men if she didn't want them?

It follows the implicit belief that women belong to men, and that women have no independent feelings or sexuality (although the same who have that attitude are the quickest to call them "angry bitches" and "sluts" or whatever the failed mating call of the self-important and lonely douchebag is)

8. katwat

Oh I love that. Perfection!

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Me too I see that all the time

10. pokerface87

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's just jealousy