1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does Demi- sexual mean?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cass, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Cass

I'm curious about other peoples sexualities, so I have to ask, what sexuality they are, but there are some that i don't know what they mean.

What sexuality do u identify as, and can you explain it?

just out of curiosity

2. Zooombini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally I've heard demisexual described as selective sexual interest, like not being interested in sex unless it is someone they care about and have and emotional bond with. That being said, I'm not demisexual so my apologies if I offended anyone or defined demisexual wrong.

I generally identify as bi, that being said I'm closer to pansexual. It really depends on how you define it. I've heard bi defined as an attraction for two genders and I've heard it defined as an attraction for people of your gender and other genders. The latter fits me better but often people don't except that so occasionally I define myself as pansexual.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it's the fact that I want to make love and be intimate with someone I love, and not just (for lack of a better term) get my rocks off. Now I'm not saying that all people just want to get off from sex, but I identify as demisexual because while, yes, I do enjoy sex just as much as the next guy, I'm more excited about pleasing my partner and being intimate with him than I am about having an orgasm. You know what I mean?

4. Cass

That sounds kinda like me to be honest, if I'm understanding correctly.

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did fine, don't worry. I am a person who identifies as Demisexual. I describe it, as that I do not experience sexaul atrraction unless there is an emotional component there first.This is not always the case, at least for me, for the most part, I would need the emotional component there first. I however, have not made it that far in anyone relationship so I can not describe what I will feel after the emotional component is there, but as of right now, this the definition that I find most suited to what I feel and believe about myself. A good place to go to for help on asexuality and terms is AVEN.

Here is the link for demisexuality Demisexuality

6. QueerQueen

I'm not sure if it's your only physically attracted to people you have an emotional connection to, or if it's only being interested in sex if you have an emotional connection with that person.

^ There we go :slight_smile:

#6 QueerQueen, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  7. C P

C P

It's when you lack sexual attraction/interest in someone unless you form a good connection emotionally and/or romantically.

You know how like, as a simple example, men/women can generally look at someone they consider hot and get all aroused and into talk of what they could do to/with them and all that? That kind of thing doesn't click with me.

I tend to enter a 'please shoot me' mode. I'm not into sexual talk anyways and end up in the background or just avoid it if possible.

I have yet to enter a relationship to see it work at force, but I do have an instance to share that got me thinking if it fit me(which it definitely seems to have). I had started talking to this guy who wanted to originally 'test me' and get me used to some things and stuff. He talked to me sexually, flirted like crazy, even got to the point where he decided to jerk off on skype and have me watch. What was funny was that, while he was pretty hot imo/had a nice body/etc., he was surprised to find out that it did not phase me sexually; I was indifferent to it all really. Only after I had talked to him a while about any and everything and formed that connection otherwise did he begin to pique my sexual curiosity. Unfortunately though, we had to part ways after a bit for personal reasons.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Demisexual" is not a term recognized by either the sexology or the psychology field. It is one of many "special snowflake" labels that have become in vogue recently.

Honestly, these sorts of terms generally do a disservice to people because they often stand in the way of accepting what one's authentic sexual orientation is by keeping someone in the "bargaining" phase of accepting who they are.

I don't mean to dis anyone who uses these sorts of labels, but there simply isn't anything in the credible literature that supports the idea of these labels.

9. C P

C P

What kind of disservice is being done here exactly? I know what my true sexual orientation is so I don't see what is being bargained here honestly, yet I still label myself as such. Not sure where you pulled it into being a special snowflake situation, but eh.

10. Fiddledeedee

Chip: I know they aren't recognised in official fields and honestly I doubt as to whether they should be, but they can still serve a good purpose through helping people describe themselves and know that they are not alone. Demisexuality is a label used in addition to homo/hetero/bisexuality, so it doesn't stop people accepting themselves. Just my thoughts, though. :slight_smile:

11. C P

C P

^ Thanks Fiddle.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

There is nothing that bothers me more than the accusations of "special snowflake" identities. If anybody should be against them, it should be me. Considering how many identities that I have gone through.

Contrary to what you have said, these identities let me explore who I am, with a bit of a safety net. By identifying first as pangender (which many people consider a "special snowflake identity") it allowed me to look at my masculine side, without the great amount of guilt and shame that I would've felt if I had just gone from female straight to male.

I also agree with what Fiddledeedee has said here.

13. Nightwing

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You don't think its a credible idea that sometimes people have intimate physical relationships for other reasons than their genitalia fitting together their preferred way? I don't think its a stretch

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My point is... people explore lots of things, sexuality is a spectrum, and people often take some time to work through the process of seeing where they fit on the spectrum, whom they're attracted to, and all of those sorts of things. And, because there's a spectrum, people don't fit neatly into a binary (gay/straight) or even trinary (gay/straight/bi) labeling structure.

Where we get into trouble is when we start using these unrecognized labels because then, often, people get attached to those labels, which keeps them from discovering who they really are.

If these undocumented/unverified/no-research-to-support them labels were simply recognized as part of a questioning/exploration process, then I'd have no issues whatsoever with them.

The problem is that people begin to use them as legitimate labels, such as the ridiculous blog post somebody referenced in which the blogger had invented some form of sexuality (don't remember the label) that essentially meant "rigid" or "rocklike" sexuality, a description for someone who doesn't want any attention from anyone but still wants to be attached. That isn't an orientation, it's a psychological problem.

I don't mean to come off as harsh on these, and certainly not to devalue anyone's process of exploring who they are and coming to terms with wherever they are on the sexual orientation spectrum.

My main focus in reminding people that these labels have no recognition among the profession is to encourage those who are trying to understand themselves to find where they fit, rather than assuming they're really different from everyone else on the planet with regard to their sexual orientation or identity. That sort of mindset generally isn't healthy, except as part of a transient process of self-discovery.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing is, that many people that do identify as these identities are not trying to separate themselves from the rest of the population. They are just identifying with what label they feel best fits them. And to tell them that the label that they are identifying as is invalid is a huge disservice, and even offensive. I think that it's important that we try to respect everybody's chosen identities, no matter how ridiculous they sound. Instead of making comments criticizing and demeaning their identity, we should encourage people to explore their identities more. If we criticize their identities, it will just create the illusion that this is not a safe space, which is not at all what we are going for.

16. Mr Scratch

I fully support a person's right to self-identify in whatever way makes them comfortable.

Having said that, there comes a point when labels can hinder communication. If you tell an average person you're demisexual, you're going to have to explain -- potentially at length -- what that even means. You might as well skip straight to the explanation.

On this website, I've listed myself as Pansexual. But out in the world, if the subject of my sexuality comes up, I'll tell people I'm bisexual. Strictly speaking, it's the truth. And it's easier than having to explain that things like gender identity and biological sex don't really have an effect on how I feel about a person emotionally or sexually.

17. C P

C P

It is pretty offensive when we're implied to be crazies just for identifying as a label we feel best fits us(which isn't even causing any harm and is easier to understand in this case). As Fiddle pointed out, it's one that is used in addition to being bi/homo/hetero, like how you can identify as any of those and asexual, so it doesn't necessarily have to involve being confused with one self nor does it mean we are being kept from discovering our true identities anyways(the opposite actually).

What's unhealthy, honestly, is jumping on the 'you're a special snowflake' bandwagon in regards to someone who doesn't feel they quite fit an official term(that is more or less a secondary term anyways that actually makes more sense than it is getting credit for and isn't harming anyone, imo).

@Mr Scratch It's a bit easier to grasp, if you ask me, than something like pansexuality but I see your point. It isn't something that we necessarily have to have a neon sign about, but can explain should the need arise. Try explaining, as an example, genderqueer to the average person and they will probably look at you like you have seven heads.

#17 C P, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What does special snowflake mean ?

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going to agree with Chip here.
    I mean, it allegedly originated on an internet forum in some sort of RP.
    I don't get how RP works, but...

20. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to disagree with you and I actually find what you are saying, as quite harsh. By saying that Demisexuality is not a "real" identification, you are taking away my identity. I do not belong to the straight community because I am demi, and now you are saying that I do not belong to the GSM community, because I am just a "special snowflake". Okay, I am special, we are all special in our own way, but to call someone a "special snowflake" is way over the line.

Oh by the way, identifying as Demisexual is not doing me a disservice, if anything it has been helpful. I know have a title for how I feel, I didn't have that before. I felt strange and different and that there was something that was wrong with me. Now I know that there isn't, there are other people like me. There has to be, if there is a label for it. When I came to this conclusion, everything made sense, it was lightbulb moment. I do not understand why you would take that away from someone. You do not know know the journey that I have gone through to get to this point. So how dare you try to say that my journey, or anyone else's journey that has led them to identifying as Demisexual is any less valued than someone's else, just because it is a different journey. I would not say that your journey was any less valued because it was different than mine, so what gives you the right to say that about me or anyone else who is Demi? I do not care if you are an admin, you do not have a right to say that what we identify as, as an invalided or a "special snowflake" identity.