1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Georgia's Awful New Gun Law

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perrygay, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

With the start of the new July 1st fiscal year, over 100 new laws took effect in the state of Georgia. One of these new laws now allows permitted gun owners in the state to take their weapons in any restaurant, public transportation vehicle, state park, and airport. The debate in the state is now whether or not a person should be allowed to carry a gun into Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport, the busiest airport in the world. The mayor and the airport director claim that the airport is a gun-free zone, and now a gun lobby group is suing the city and airport for their stance.

What is your opinion on this new law? Allowing guns into the busiest airport in the world?

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. The state of Georgia is trying to champion itself as the new south, with all these transportation hubs and booming residential/business areas. But then they turn around and start letting people bring guns onto MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) and into the airport. What the hell are they thinking?

Here's an article that pretty much sums everything up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/u...p=7&sq=georgia&st=nyt&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think its ridiculus too! Just what we need, more people packing guns! I don't get it.

3. Fiorino

Ridiculous-why do you need a gun in an airport, a restaurant, public transportation,
    or even in a car? I think 1 gun per person max is a reasonable compromise, but
    guns kill way too many people for us to let laws like this pass.
    Only in the South...sigh.

4. Alex

Why do private persons need a gun in the first place?
    Stupid law.
    Ban guns.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

YAY for the United Kingdom and their strict gun laws :slight_smile:

6. TriBi

I have to agree.

I, like many others, have never understood how the gun lobby in the US can have such power - or why so many people think they have to own guns and have free rein to carry them wherever/whenever they like.

People talk about TV or video games 'promoting violence' but allow this sort of thing? Ridiculous.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, we use knifes instead. They seem popular with teenagers this year, especially in London. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Yeah, well the Supreme Court just struck down DC's ban on handguns, so now anyone in the district can carry a firearm as long as it can be held with one hand. This arbitrary and definition is far too broad and therefore means that ordinary civilians can possess military weapons of war as long as they can fire it with one hand.

I just love our country, both our backwards citizens who would vote to bring weapons, meant to stave off invading British troops, into our homes and the consistently unreasonable Bush-appointed SC judges.

9. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

The gun lobbies have so much influence because they have the money. If a politician doesn't do their bidding in the legislature, they'll start to throw all their money behind a candidate who will.

And you're right, no one needs to be carrying a gun in public, especially in an airport. Guns+planes+thousands of people doesn't equal anything good.

10. limepink

Largest city in the second smallest state
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can't think of a good reason to have a gun in a restaurant, public transportation vehicle, state park, or airport.

I'm definitely for stricter gun laws, there is so much crime, and honestly there are few good reasons (in my opinion) to have a gun.

I have witnessed one shooting and one murder and I'm fourteen. If guns were harder to get maybe neither of them would have happened.

11. Henrike

I don't mind it, although I don't agree with the law extending to the airport.

12. Kimi

Well, I have few things I want to say about it but I won't cuz it's kinda rude lol

I don't support the idea of having a gun in the first place.
    And I'll definitely will point at Georgia and say "I told you" when something went bad.

I'm so glad I'm no longer living in those miserable southern states...

#12 Kimi, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  13. Poring

There is no doubt that guns should not be allowed into airports. I can't really seem to see the logic with everyone who loves guns and having to carry them around wherever they go. Maybe the occasional handgun in a glove compartment for safety would do, but to restaurants and stuff? :\

14. Grantious

in my opinion if guns hav to be legal i'd say just in the house lol, prevent a robbery sif many people r gonna attack you out in public especially if they dont hav guns lol
    i suppose there's knifes... meh its a hard choice

15. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Agreed. The simple fact that guns are so easily accessible is a disaster in the making.

I'd take getting shanked over getting shot any day. At least a knife can't pick you off from hundreds of feet... unless you're a ninja. :dry:

16. Red87

Well, I'm going to take a slightly different approach. I've no problem with people having guns in public as long as they are pistol type, and visibly displayed. I do, however, dislike concealed weapons. Anyone visibly displaying a firearm would, hopefully, be smart enough to have permit for the weapon and would have attended weapon safety classes as well as had background checks.

Of course, my views are strongly biased, as I'm strapped to an assault weapon every waking hour of the day and being behind a machine gun is a regular occurance, but if you know how to handle a weapon I've no problem with people having them. Most people out there aren't out to be criminals. A gun is a strong defensive weapon without even having to use it. Guns just have such a negative stigma associated with them, because of the fear element attached to them. And, honestly I'd rather be shot than stabbed any day.

17. Daniel

Guns are fine.

But allowing them in any airport is idiotic.

Security is threatened with the allowal of firearms in airports.

18. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do so love seeing how people quiver in their shorts at the mere thought of a gun.

There is no need to fear a gun in the hands of a law abiding citizen if you are yourself a law abiding citizen.

Remember, criminals don't care about laws, so they will keep carrying guns no matter how many anti-gun laws the Brady Campaign and their PC-Fascist lackeys push through.

19. Poring

Wow, good point there :eusa_clap

20. Henrike

I love you Neg. XD