1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coke and the rainbow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BookDragon, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I just go an email saying that a petition has been put forward for coke to put the rainbow flag on their cans for the duration of the winter olympics. Now as far as I can see the people who made this want it to be a global thing, as in all coke cans all over the world would have this flag in order to have a 'global impact'.

So I'm wondering, and perhaps it is just me, but is this not a very poor conceived idea?

I mean so lets say coke go for it and they stick a rainbow on the can, everyone knows what that rainbow means. So they try and show their support to the LGBT community by putting the rainbow on there, and automatically coke either stops getting sold in Russia or people who buy it fall awfoul of the laws since this would be in a violation...so we ask coke to stand up for us and they take a massive financial blow from an entire country, not to mention the other boycotts they would get from a million other places...doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never drank coke it makes my tummy hurt really bad . :icon_sad:
    My family thought i was weird for not drinking coke then one day my dad asked me why and I told him my tummy hurts every time I drink it . can they at least take out the stuff that hurts my tummy

3. Cass

thats a terrible idea imo

4. awesomeness

The cans aren't the same in every country

They could ship the rainbow flag version to certain countries, and leave it out for other countries, like Russia for example

I like the idea, I hope they do it

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Terrible Idea,it's like puting the Star of David on the most popular Beer brand of Germany in 1939

6. PurpleGrey

I think it's a great idea, but only in certain areas. Definitely in California, though, I really wanna keep a can of rainbow coke on my shelf and maybe sell it to an antique shop when it's valuable. In any case, I like what it says about these times that a company would even propose the idea. I would drink sooooooooooo many cans!

7. BiPenguin

The only thing Coke is good for is cleaning out pipes...and dancing with rum.

8. AlamoCity

It's a terrible idea as a worldwide project. Maybe in certain locations it would fly, but not everywhere. Remember, corporations' first responsibility is to their shareholders. In a way, I'd rather they just stick to putting polar bears on their cans. And to be honest, I have a thing against online petitions; for lack of a better word, I equate it with "slacktivism."

Coca-Cola is my favorite soft drink (not a fan of Pepsi).

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I interpreted that title in a different way at first.

10. Jwis

This, while it's nice when companies support us - their primary goal is to make money. It's what multinational corporations do. While I think it would be cool if they did (and I believe that it is possible in certain locations).

I agree with you with all these online petitions - go out and actually do something. In all honesty I think they mean next to nothing.

Yes so did I :lol:

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Coke putting rainbow on their cans? You really think they would do that?

It seems like most people here aren't aware of Coca-Cola's terrible record on LGBT issues vis-à-vis the Sochi Olympics. As an Olympic sponsor, Coke did NOTHING to try to stop Putin's anti-gay laws. They have been unapologetic about their sponsorship of the Olympics in this oppressive regime. In fact, Coca-Cola actually released a statement defending the recent arrest of an LGBT activist in Sochi.

Recently Coke had a online marketing campaign that allowed you to put any word or name on a can of Coke. "Straight" was perfectly fine, but if you tried to put the word "Gay" on the can, it said "Oops. Let's pretend you didn't just type that. Please try another name."

At this point Coke is barely a step above Chick-Fil-A, I don't know how any LGBTQ person, or any decent, LGBTQ-affirming human being, could continue to support Coke.

I don't always drink soda, but when I do, I prefer Pepsi-Cola. :grin:

(In particular, Pepsi Throwback, sweetened with real sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup like American Coke)

12. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1 :grin:

I don't think it's such a bad idea. Though most homophobes or ignorant people won't know what the rainbow flag means, so it's like meh :shrug:

13. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rather see them use an occasional gay couple in their advertising, as though it no longer mattered that some couples are gay, but even that would be sure to get the Bible Belters shorts into a twist. Witness the overreaction to Disney putting a gay couple into one of their kid shows (Good Luck Charlie) recently. Witch hunts continue unabated in the Bible Belt.

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Because of Coca-Cola having established itself as a vehemently anti-gay company...

Trinity University in Ireland has banned all Coca-Cola products from its campus in response to Coke's support for Russia's anti-gay policies.

Now a new LGBTQ protest campaign, the Anything But Coke pledge, has taken root, and is spreading rapidly especially across college campuses.

[​IMG]

So again, I think the OP was woefully misguided in thinking Coke would put rainbow on its cans. At this point, Coke has established itself as an enemy to LGBTQ people everywhere, and we should be boycotting its products, not supporting them- and certainly not expecting them to support us in any way.