1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Band Manager

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by angel626, Jan 30, 2014.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend has always dreamed of chasing after his dream of becoming a professional singer; has been singing since he was a child. Being his friend I encouraged him and offered my help if he ever needed it, now I was honest and told him I don't know a lot but I'll be here to support him along the way and if there is anything that I can help him with, I will be more than happy to help. Well he has asked me to help him form a band, help him with youtube, and any other aspect that can help him get noticed. Now all of this just started last week and so far I have created his youtube, facebook, vine, made flyers searching for other band members, and have even started typing up a band contract for him. Well I guess seeing everything that I have done for him, he has decided to make me his manager. I have never been anyone's manager; it is overwhelming yet exciting.

Have any of you ever been in a band? Or have you been someones manager? I would love to hear any advice or tips that you have to offer?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An artist's personal manager is usually the closest person in his or her life next to a spouse. It's a tough role, because it means giving truly honest advice and guidance, being there at the successes and the failures, and... working in an industry that is notorious for chewing people up and spitting them out. I spent about 7 years on the business side of the music industry.

Good personal managers are organized, detail-oriented, big-picture thinkers with a lot of business savvy, a knack for getting along with anyone, but an ability to stand up and negotiate hard for their artist. It's not the easiest job, and unless the artist does really, really well, it tends to not pay terribly well... but it can be fun and rewarding and interesting.