1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ponies, men, and Target

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I was at Target today and saw some pretty "different" things for sale in the men's clothing section.

One was an ad where they have all the tshirts they have for sale and it had a man wearing a shirt that said "Ponies Forever" with a unicorn on it. Not sure if its point was to be ironic or what.

The other was sweatpants/loungepants with Rainbow Dash from "My Little Pony."

I just find it weird that it seems that it's becoming mainstream for men to be sold these products. I know there was a community of men who love ponies/"My Little Pony" (i.e. "bronies") but I wonder if it's now being done as "ironic" or if a lot of men are genuinely interested it this. My sister wanted me to get the sweatpants, but they're not really my thing :lol:.

What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

2. FrozenFae

Ironic or not, I would be embarrassed as all get out to be seen wearing something like that in public :/ Whatever floats some people's boats though...

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think it's great! I'll stick to my band shirts and shirts with dragons on them. I've seen the first season of My Little Pony thanks to a certain image board. There's been some interesting studies on why grown men obsess over this cartoon. I don't want to shout out generalizations though.

4. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I'm out of touch with fashion these days. Those items you describe seem like they would be hot sellers in Austin, not SA.

I also think you visit target extremely often.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, there are a lot of guys I know that are bronies. There are some who have been hardcore bronies who have stated that "ponies are metal", "ponies are manly, and if you don't watch MLP you're not a true man" and stuff like that. Believe me, they exist. Not saying that every brony says things like that. But there's a huge male fanbase for MLP, that is certain. I've seen men's MLP clothing in Target, Wal-mart, Kohl's, you name it. Except maybe Sears. I have Doctor Whooves shirts I wear out in public without thinking twice about it. Perhaps it's because I wear geeky shirts all the time.

6. AlamoCity

Yes, same here. Plus, I'd never wear sweatpants in public :lol:.

I bet those studies make for some interesting reading.

A) What's more weird is that this Target is in a very conservative and affluent area (Alamo Heights).

B) Yes, I visit Target more than I should every week. For groceries, I go to HEB, but for a lot of other stuff, even some clothes, I go to Target. Today, I needed to get my sister something for her lunch at school since she packs a lunch. The day before, I ran out of allergy medicine so I needed to make a trip there. I should seriously stock up.

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2014 at 12:50 AM ----------

I find it interesting how some people will state "ponies are metal" because it seems that they consider, or believe others to consider, "metal" music to be "manly" and by equating ponies to metal, they can also state that ponies are "manly." Pretty interesting train of thought there.

7. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I get down there on occasion, more of a Stone Oak kind of guy here. I will agree with the HEB though, not much choice otherwise.

8. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is one. To anyone that wants to read it. My Little Pony study of 'bronies'.
    Study Results

9. Sarcastic Luck

Well. That's a new level of scary.

10. duende84

Ponies are cute :slight_smile: but I am referring to real ponies ;-)