1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Be A Man!"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I saw this video on upworthy that I thought was very interesting. It was about how boys are told on a daily basis that they are supposed to be manly, and that if they feel emotion it makes them pussies, and if they feel depressed, they're supposed to "man up" and get over it.

There's Something Absolutely Wrong With What We Do To Boys Before They Grow Into Men

I think the video really shows how destructive that the idea that men are supposed to be robotic and nonfeeling is very detrimental to a lot of men.

2. Skov

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell me about it! I'm afraid to cry. When I cry I feel like ripping my guts out for being a 'pansy'. I always feel as if I must man up! I don't know anyone with more masculinity issues than me. I know that crying is part of the healing process and yet I can't seem to change how I think. I also feel that I must not show if I'm sick or in pain. I even hate asking for help.

4. awesomeness

I have that attitude myself, probably mostly because of how I was raised. It's sort of ingrained in me. But I see it as a positive thing though. If you're having a bad time, then (as the saying says) 'man up' and get over it. It might sound harsh to some, but it's a better attitude to have than those people who get overemotional and self-deprecating over anything negative that they experience. At least in my view

But I understand that some people are just naturally more emotional

#4 awesomeness, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014