1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I might be going to public school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Halcyons, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Halcyons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Like the title says. At the moment, I'm homeschooled, but my mom said that if I get good grades I can go to public school in the fall. I'm scared but I can't wait to get a more even education and meet new people! So, what's it like, being in public school?

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. Don't know where you live in NC(and if you don't want to tell fine) but I'm from the Triangle area and Wake County Public Schools were pretty good. Sometimes a bit overcrowded, but I enjoyed almost 100% of my teachers.

3. Halcyons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I live in Onslow County.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I homeschooled for four years and to put it in perspective, I still regret ever leaving public school. Basically, I'd done it to please my mom- she was all excited about throwing all the kids into homeschooling, promised me time to write, educational freedom, etc.

I probably wrote less in those four years than I'd ever written in a month at public school. Educational freedom? I'm atheist so I was pretty limited in my curriculum choices- either a curriculum was tailored to the "Earth is 6k years old" crowd or it was shit.

I had four younger sisters and because my mom soon began working full time, it got to the point where I was basically homeschooling them. I had leisure time but I didn't want to spend it studying- so I stopped caring about my education.

And you know how people in the homeschooling community always say that socialization isn't a problem, that their kids are fucking social butterflies? Yeah. The trick is, you have to actually let your kids get out and do crap. I was rarely around people my own age- if I was dragged to a "social" thing, the kids were always way younger. It wasn't until college that I even got to really be around people all the time and I still struggle speaking to anyone. Mind, I was always shy even as a kid, but I wasn't anxious.

I think I got a little caried away.

Anyway, hopefully your homeschooling experience was alright. Public school takes adjusting- you'll have clear cut assignments but less time to really go outside the box. Pretty routine, as long as you pay attention, you'll be fine.

5. Pixelbro

I definitely prefer public school over homeschool. My mom went gung-ho Christian, so now I'm going to be homeschooled for the rest of high school. Public school is a lot harder to transition to from homeschool, but I promise you'll like it better in time.

6. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to assume your mom is politically conservative. If this is indeed the case, remind her that limiting your education not only damages you personally, but also the national economy. Tell her you'd be less likely to find a good job, and then speculate that you'll probably grow up to be a "taker":stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then remind her that only "lib-tards" want to damage the economy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally depends on the school. Some people think public schools are just wretched hives of ghetto kids, but my school district was pretty darn good. Every teacher cared deeply about the students, and while kids will be kids (which is a big part of why I hated grades 6-8) there were no major issues.

8. Halcyons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Wow, that sounds a lot like my experience.

I've been homeschooled ever since I was five because my older brother was bullied and suicidal after having been in public school, and so my mom began homeschooling us. However, I've had severe damage to my social skills because of that. For a while I was so scared of conversation that it would make me cry, and eventually, my mom basically stopped caring about my and my brother's education because she was dealing with issues of her own, and I, of course, as a kid, wanted to go on the computer rather than do schoolwork.

This year things have changed a lot due to having moved to another state and met new people, and I'm finally overcoming my social anxiety. Personally, I profoundly regret having been homeschooled because I had no childhood. No friends, just a computer, and I didn't benefit from being homeschooled in any way.

One thing I'm worried about is changing. Do you actually have to change clothes with kids in the same room like, at gym or whatever? I have no idea what to expect.

9. Pixelbro

Yeah, my mom is that kind of Christian person that is terrified of the government. She doesn't want the schools to teach me about evolution, and she's mad that they have a gay/straight alliance (lol that's gonna be some tough news to break later). I can't tell my mom to do anything, she's very stubborn. I've given up hope on that, just looking forward to getting a car in a few months. Something to set me free. :eusa_danc

10. Jonathan

Around here, you have to change into your gym suit before P.E. class and out of it when the class is over. It's nothing to really be concerned about if you have to do it. No one really pays attention to other people undressing.

11. Yes we do change in the locker rooms together. It's really not that bad. Just change and mind your own business. Usually, the teachers allow students to get acquainted with each other for about a couple of weeks before they decide to make them change together. However, that's only for the first few weeks of school in August.

Public school is fine, but it depends on what school district you're in. It's not like the stereotypical movie scene where the central bully torments everyone. In my school, we all mind our own businesses and there aren't any bullies.

There are many clubs at school that can suit your own interests, but that depends on the school. If you like video games, you can join the video game club. GSA (gay-straight alliance) is a pretty major club. You can try joining the student government and run the school's social activities like dances and field trips.

12. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Oh no! :frowning2: This sounds exactly like the start of my own homeschooling experience many years ago. If I exaggerate just a little, it wouldn't be going too far to say that not going to public high school ruined my life. Homeschooling as I did in complete isolation (along with my brother), since my parents were fundie fanatics, left me socially stunted and terrified of anything beyond the confines of my family's home. It took me almost a decade afterwards to be able to somewhat comfortably mingle with other human beings. Moreover, due to living in "exile" from kids my own age, I was unable to form those crucial late-teen/early-adult bonds that have become so essential in our day and age for an "in" into various professional and social realms. At 37, the only "friends" I only ever have the opportunity to make are co-workers and they inevitably turn out to be perpetually preoccupied with their own families and lives.

I read in anther post that you are anticipating getting a car soon. Good. Please, please, PLEASE, do yourself a favor and push the crap out of your mom to get your license ASAP and then start getting out of the house. Cruise by the high school you would have gone to during the time it lets out and call on your old buddies. Go out with them. Get involved in local activities. Keep in touch with the social scene. Otherwise, you're going to wind up like I did, a near-middle aged frustration case with the emotional constitution of a 15-year old and a resume that's nothing to be proud of.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 08:49 PM ----------

One thing I'll add to this, Halcyons, and this is probably going against the grain of most advice you'd get on this point: don't get too obsessive over your grades at the expense of your social success. I think because most everybody goes to public school, people tend to take for granted the edge gained on both education and career simply by moving in social circles. As an older person, I attest to how much more difficult it has been for me to build relationship and professional ties because I was "off the grid" during my most crucial years for establishing them. Grades are important, but social success is, I'd argue, equally as important. I know of way too many stories of C and D students who go on to be much happier and more successful than their straight-A peers because they made the right connections at an early age.

Best of luck to you.

13. Pixelbro

Wow, that sounds awful. My dad's against my mom's belief in homeschooling, so he's gonna pick out a car with me this March without my mom knowing. I feel kind of bad pitting my parents together, but my mom's crazy and sometimes I wish my dad would divorce her.

But anyway, yeah, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

14. BronzeElf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you to wear pink on Wednesdays.