1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what was your first/worst job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fairyinkcap, Feb 4, 2014.

1. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been working at my first job for 6 months, and putting out the salad at pizza hut for £3.72 an hour and O rewarding qualities is a bit demoralising! What was your first/worst job? Make me feel better haha

2. FrozenFae

My first and worst job was working as a receiving/freight room crew member at Kmart. Honestly, it was pretty horrible. I worked with complete idiots...and you know all the horrible customer stories you read about online? Yeah...its not an exageration. Why do so many people seem to check their brain at the door when they go out shopping?

3. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohhhhh god I know! We once had a woman who came to the resturaunt when we were shut then cried til we let her in!? Its as if as soon as people become 'the consumer' they just lose all rationality

4. Nicholas1991

My first job was a nightmare - i was 14 and only lasted six weeks cause i was so bad!

It was in a discount variety store - one time i had to get a flatpack off a high shelf for a customer, only to have it fall on my head and pass out...

Or the time i was carrying seven bottles of salsa sauce, which managed to slip out of my hands and shatter, covering myself, the nearby customers and most of the aisle....i went to pick up the glass (customer safety first you know) and sliced the everloving **** out of myself, so now im dripping blood all over the floor too, sauce in my hair and eyes...lets just say i think that was what got me fired :/

Or the time i threw about $1000 worth of what i thought was 'rubbish' in the bin, only to later discover it was new stock...

Memories...

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first job was being a pet care associate at petsmart. I can definetly say this was my worst job. The reason being that when you realize how the animals are treated and the lack of care it makes you really hate pet stores.

6. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't actually had a terrible job.
    I loved teaching... I miss it!!!
    I've gotten thank you cards years (more than a decade later) which had me in tears

7. duende84

Goodness me thats not bad pay at all! It is three times what most "students" your age usually get there in South Africa. You can make a decent living with that over here. Just wont be able to find a job that requires so little effort for such a huge sum of money.

My first job was safety admin on a petroleum processing plant where they did a new installation of a natural gas line, all the way from Mozambique. Terrible as there was insane safety precautions and regulations. My pay sucked. It was like $500 a month.

After that I started working for myself. Never been easy but I have done things since then that I would not have been able to do otherwise ever.

8. Fairylink

My first job was fast food and it wasn't too bad.

9. LifeIsGrey

First job: Moore's sew vac fans
    it was really scary, but through a school program so even though i messed up a lot they couldnt fire me. it was a good place to start working. i mostly worked in the quilting department of the store, and it helped that my mom had taught me to sew young and i knew my stuff.

Worst job: my last two were awful. i worked at dollar tree until i pissed off my psycho new manager and she refused to give me hours, then blamed it on other people. She got mad because when she first came to the store she told us all that we wouldnt get set hours anymore, and i was the only person to raise my hand and ask what those of us with two jobs would do without set schedules, and after everyone started asking the same question. it messed with her new way of doing things and she retaliated, so i politely left the company. At burlington coat factory i got fired because my moms cancer had spread to her brain and i had to take time off to take care of her and instead of telling me about family leave (which i later found out they should have informed me of) they just fired me. ive always felt that was hugely unfair. a few months later my mom died, and the whole experience was like salt in a wound.

10. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Walmart.

Don't think an explanation is needed.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First?

Painting in the summer at my future college.

Worst? Research assistant in grad school.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First: I used to cut the grass, trim the bushes and keep up the outside of a motel on a bay of Lake Michigan, over the summer. Pretty peaceful.

Worst: Waiting tables at the Italian place in Little Italy for one of the most evil restaurant owners known to the world, and an equally nasty wife. Lots of yelling and screaming in that place.

13. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    CASHIER At TARGET! WORST JOB ON THE PLANET!

14. willycubed28

My first job was at subway and I think that was the worst job. They made me close down the subway store by myself and I wasn't even a manager at all. Their was this one night that I will never forget. I was getting ready to leave and all I had to do was put up 8 of the panned dressings. I was rolling the cart that had the dressings on their and the cart accidentally tipped over and every single dressing came out of the 8 pans and onto the floor. It literally took me about an extra hour and a half closing, and the manager was pissed that I stayed that long to clean it up. Needless to say after that I decided to never close the store down again by myself.

15. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I can't believe theyre allowed to pay people so little over there! What I get is minimum wage for my age, part of the problem I have with it is simply that I work part time and my managers give me stupid shifts that are 2.5-3 hours long, with bus tickets costing me £3.60 each time it just doesn't feel worthwhile.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Does it it have to be the first because I got one right now i think is the worst job ever .
    I'll list the first Sue chef in a catering job , chef would yell at us , for random crap , he throws stuff at people it got so bad i did self harm . I quit after it went that bad .

17. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my first job this year, a couple of months ago and quit after the first three times I went to work. I was helping a kid with special needs do his homework. I used lots of drawings and games to make it more fun as he had lots of difficulties both learning and concentrating, he was 10 and couldn't read, write or remember his age and his last name. His mum was not really supportive, she didn't understand that there was something different about her son, she kept saying "my son is normal, he's not retarded", "he's a child like any child of his age" and things like that. She paid me very little too, 3€ an hour (9€ a week) but I didn't mind. The main thing was that she wasn't happy with the way I did the lesson, she would suddenly appear in the little storeroom saying that I'm not doing things right, shouting on both me and her child and then accusing me of being lazy and taking advantage of her. I was very, very much offended because I did care about him and I believed he could learn. So, on the third day, I told her that she's not rational to think that I'm taking advantage of her and that I can't stand her degrading my intentions, I handed her the phone number of a psychologist/teacher for children with special needs and left. And as I left, I burst into tears because I was mad at her and mad at me for not managing to cope and help the kid.
    Nice first experience...