1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College and Career?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aTypicalAndrew, Feb 4, 2014.

1. aTypicalAndrew

Just thought it might be interesting to see what you folks do, if you don't mind sharing.

I went to college on scholarship as a vocal performance major (opera, etc.) but now work in education, teach music privately, and lead a choir and worship on Sundays. I also sing professionally with a reputable ensemble in Atlanta.

What do you do?

2. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow you sound very dedicated to music, i play the viola in a few orchestras and I love it. I'm currently just finishing up high school, have an interview in 2 weeks for studying Prosthetics and Orthotics at university. I work at pizza hut on the side too.

3. FrozenFae

I went to college on scholarship as well. I graduated with honors and earned my B.A in Journalism.

I now work as an editor for a major news organization in my city.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm currently in college. I'm majoring in Mathematics with a double minor in Secondary Ed and Rehabilitation Studies. I want to teach high school math (hence the math/Secondary Ed combo) in addition to getting a masters in mathematics education with an emphasis on Curriculum & Instruction.

5. AlamoCity

I also went to college on a scholarship and got a BA in Economics, magna cum laude and other honors. I'm debt-free. I also did the requisite courses of "pre-med" but decided I hated medicine.

That said, I'll probably rake in some debt when I go back for an MBA this fall.

I want to work in business, probably healthcare administration.

#5 AlamoCity, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a high school junior right now, but I would like to go to the University of Missouri and dual major in investigative journalism and political science, and would like to minor is psychology or sociology.

7. silkfrog1292

Unlike most posters here I am not a scholarship student. I'm currently studying law and plan on moving on to do a masters after I graduate.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Currently in college, majoring in Political Science and Communication.

For now, I'm also working for the Republican Party of Pennsylvania, helping them in the governor's re-election campaign.

9. KazTastic

I'm bumming around at the moment - though next year, I might head into engineering, architecture, or urban planning, depending on what I'm interested in at the time, and if I can do any of them part time (I don't have the patience for full time study).

However I'm working full time as a "Postal Delivery Officer" - a fancy way of saying that I walk around a neighbourhood delivering mail with a weird buggy thing that looks like a pram crossed with a shopping trolley.

10. drewf91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still working on my undergrad Psychology degree, then I get to go through the stressful grad school era... I know I want to work in the therapy era. I would love to get involve with addicts/alcoholics and people stuck in the criminal "justice" system. At the same time with the way the worlds been lately I would like to aid lgbt teens dealing with what we all go through.

11. Jwis

I am a R&D chemist for a bioenergy program at a University.

12. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I graduated with a double major in psychology and sociology, worked for two years doing remedial instruction for children with learning issues, and am in my third year of a PhD in human development. Ultimately I'd like to be a professor somewhere and continue to do research. Who knows, maybe one day some of you youngsters on here will end up in one of my classes?

13. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to school in Montreal for business/information systems. I didn't have a scholarship, but because I was born in Quebec I had the cheapest tuition possible which was awesome.

14. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did an undergrad degree in chemistry. Part way through, I decided I wanted to become one of those crazy environmentalists, so I did an internship with Environment Canada for a year and then did a PhD in atmospheric chemistry. Basically I did almost 11 years of university and then decided to abandon academia altogether. Now I'm working as a environmental researcher at an energy-related think tank.

15. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a b.s. in biochemistry and am now a PhD. student in medicinal chemistry. So, I want to be a research scientist, and I'm lucky to have had experience in academic, industrial, and government labs. I like academia the most since I'm interested in teaching and being a mentor, but I just want to get paid to do great science.

16. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Didn't realize that that EC has so many chemistry people. Props to you guys; took an intro chemistry lecture/lab class last year, and could barely stand it.

17. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got a BA in Sociology from a liberal arts school in Georgia. I am about to start FEMA corps on Tuesday. I'll be serving the southwest in disaster relief for ten months. I am really glad I got accepted. I had been doing nothing before I got accepted into FEMA corps.

18. Jared

I'm a junior in college, getting a B.S. in Computer Science. I have a scholarship paying for my education as well :slight_smile:

19. Cass

I am currently a Music Education Major at Marshall University and I work in the food court at the school to make money to support myself in the progress. I always LOVE meeting other music people

20. elel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just realized I didn't really talk about my future career plans. That's because I have absolutely no idea what I want to do after my ten months with FEMA corps is done. I think most of my friends have some kind of idea. I just keep drawing a blank on making decisions about my future.