1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morally Conflicted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Absol, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As we all know, the Olympics are soon upon us and I don't know what to do. A lot of people are saying we should boycott them, which I sort of agree with, but I also agree with people saying it's unfair to the athletes that deserve our support who's going over there and who have nothing to do with what's currently going on in Russia. I'm torn on this, because no matter what I do, I feel morally wrong doing it.

So what are going watch the Olympics or are you going to boycott them, and what are your reasons for doing so? Maybe after reading some of y'all's responses, I can figure out what to do.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't bother, unless you're also boycotting natural gas and petrol, you're not doing anything by boycotting the Olympics except reducing the audience for the athletes' efforts (many of whom are pro-gay). The backbone of Russia's and Putin's stability is mineral exports, petrol, and natural gas, not the Olympics.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to want to boycott and not send our athletes there, either. However, now I'd like to see our athletes (gay and straight) and other LGBT athletes at the game do very well, and see Russia (minus LGBT athletes) do bad.

4. FrozenFae

I wont be watching it, but I'm also not going to get on a high horse about it. I'll focus my attention on bringing to light the atrocities Russia is committing against its LGBT citizens. There are better ways to protest and show your solidarity that will make more of a difference than what amounts to really a pointless gesture.

But Frozen Fae, you might be saying...after saying all that, why are you still refusing to watch? The answer is simple....I don't give a damn about sports so it won't be different than any other year.

5. AlamoCity

For many of the athletes, this is a four-year-in-the-making event that will allow them the chance to show their craft and demonstrate the limits of the human body. Because a small body of men (the IOC) decided to host these Olympics in Russia and because Russia decided to have homophobic laws does not mean we should depreciate the effort of the Olympians by boycotting the event. Plus, maybe, just maybe, the openly LGBT athletes who attend will be able to demonstrate that LGBT folks are just as capable as heterosexuals at all endeavors and give a human face to the faceless of Russia.

I will be watching the Olympics (if I have time) and I will be popping open a can of Coca-Cola (not because I care for their policies but because I like the product).

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hope the same thing. Boycotting the entire thing is sort of disrespectful to the athletes who don't have anything to do with the laws in Russia, but I hope that since the whole anti-gays feeling is present in Russia, the media from other countries will be able to show things in a better light from how the Russians see it. Maybe change a few mindsets or something. It's actually a good opportunity to try to bring about change.

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. Besides, a few people boycotting the Olympics will not do jack. The reason boycotts have worked, IMO, is because a significant amount of people did so, causing whatever they were boycotting to have to do something about it.

8. Rainbow Girl

I am watching because:

1. The athletes deserve their chance and our support and had nothing to do with the laws.
    2. The Olympics are suppose to rise above politics.
    3. The fact that the Olympics are in Russia really has nothing to do with the games themselves.
    4. Boycotting ultimately makes no difference, in that it won't effect or change the laws.
    5. I just plain enjoy it too much not to watch.

9. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I have always loved the Olympics and refuse to "boycott" them. Even if every single LGBT person doesn't watch, it is going to have a marginal to non-existent impact. It isn't even related to the event itself, it is simply the politicians' beliefs so this is really a lost cause if anyone really plans on doing anything.

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the TV networks pay a fee for Olympic rights in advance and then try to make their money back through advertising? If so, avoiding watching is not really going to hurt Russia.

I love the Olympics and I'm absolutely going to watch. I hope it turns into a financial disaster for Russia and I'm thrilled with the huge amount of negative publicity they're receiving for their intolerance, but I'm going to watch and cheer on Canada without the slightest bit of guilt. Having high TV ratings in North America in no way endorses discrimination; it's simply supporting your country and some athletes who have given up several years of their lives for this opportunity.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You think I'd miss a chance to watch Team USA kick Team Canada's ass in hockey? Hell no!

12. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey now :eusa_naug

13. Techno Kid

Are you looking for a fight?...to most Canadians hockey is their life for some reason. lol :icon_wink

I'm still not sure if I will watch the winter games or not. :/

#13 Techno Kid, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  14. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would be a form of revenge for y'all giving us Justin Bieber and Nickelback.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean Canada isn't that bad, they got maple syrup and free healthcare. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also I just wondered if there was like a gay power symbol like there was a black power symbol back in 1968.

[​IMG]

If a gay athlete wins, they should totally do the/make up the gay power symbol.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard to hide ugliness when the world is watching; it's easy when they are looking away.

17. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I wouldn't watched them anyway but after hearing about all the shit the journalists and teams are dealing with at the hotels, etc- I'd kill to see a stray dog trip Putin on stage.

18. AlamoCity

I think the "gay power" sign should be done like this:

1. Raise your right hand and do the "peace sign"
    2. When raised, rotate your hand 90 degrees to the left
    Now, you have an equal sign akin to the HRC logo.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds really good. I've heard one thing people do is color their hand purple, but that would be kind of hard to do. The equals sign could work. :grin:

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, can this be a thing? Seriously, it'd catch on.