1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality and Sexism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gen, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Gen

Gen

I have recently started noticing this topic being sprinkled through various threads on the site and it has been something that, while causing an irritation in me, I choose to ignore because I either wasn't in the mood to respond to it or I didn't want to derail the thread. There has been a reoccurring ideal, that has been brought up by a number of members, which explains that homosexuals are more likely to be sexist, standoffish, or rude towards the opposite sex because "they have no use for them". Especially in the discussion of gay men in particular.

I can't even begin to breakdown how illogical this mindset is without first rejecting this mindset that without attraction there is automatically a lack of desire for companionship, camaraderie, or to even have a basic level of consideration for another human being. The ideal that homosexuals inherently have a greater disposition to be sectioning or callous towards another sex simply because they don't find them sexually appealing is a vastly archaic understanding of human sociology and attraction.

Sexism stems from two main psychological concepts: fetishism and projection. Fetishism is committed by an individual of any gender onto the gender of their attraction. Heterosexuals to the opposite sex; homosexuals to the same sex. It is not only sexual. It is sexism birthed from personal desire in any sense. It can be a man wanting to dominate his wife in a relationship, a mother scrutinizing femininity in a son and pressuring him into gender archetypes that parallel what she finds attractive and admirable in a male mate, a homosexual being judgmental and prejudice against members of the same sex that don't fall into the boundaries their specific ideals of a man or woman. Fetishistic prejudice in sexism is the desire of one individual subjugate or demean those within their gender or outside of their gender that fall out of line with what they find as personally appealing in others.

Projective prejudice in sexism is committed only by those of one gender onto the same gender(non-attracted). This is the individual who believes that all individuals of their gender should live in accordance with their lifestyle, interests, and actions. This is the father forcing his son(s) to exist in his image of men, women bashing sexuality in other women, and men bashing lack of sexuality in other men. It is the pressuring of the personal ideals and archetypes of a persons or persons on another on others of their gender for what they believe to be moral, traditional, or philosophical reasons (The concept of destroying the "integrity" of men/women). It has nothing to do with preference or attractions; only the theme of "I'm this, I like these things, and everyone else should too".

Having established that, the reason why the idea that homosexuals have a greater disgust or disregard for the opposite sex arose was most intensely birthed from the feminist movement. This was because women in the feminist movement were automatically regarded as lesbians for their defiance of men and while many women in the feminist movement did hold anger, resentment, and sometimes even hatred for men (Rightfully so however, as the same was so with blacks in the civil rights movement. Emotion is perfectly understandable after experiencing oppression for hundreds of years), we all know, or should, that the reality of the movement wasn't actually this ideal of man-hating lesbians.

The predisposition of sexism in homosexuals is towards the same sex. Homosexuals are most critical of members of the same gender because the heart of their prejudice circles back around to the concepts of fetishism and projection. This is not to say that homosexuals cannot be sexist towards the opposite sex. Nonsensical hate can exist in any mind; however, the theory that homosexual have an inherent inclination of sexism towards the opposite sex is naturally flawed in how sexism, in an oppressive fetishistic manner or a projective judgmental manner, is birthed in the human mind. Continuing to push forward this exaggerated idea without proper justification is unnecessarily defamatory and polarizing not only in the LGBTQ community, but in the view of society as a whole.

Disclaimer: While I posted this to start discussion, discussion and even debate are not synonymous with tirade. We should all be able to present our opinions with respect and lack of such will still not be tolerated on this site.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh? I understand your thorough application of logic, but here on EC? This forum strikes me as a fairly enlightened crowd when it comes to respecting and caring for other people.

Humans are absolutely dicks when you look at the big picture. However, IMO you're not likely to find a lot of disagreement with your post, even secretly. At least based on the fact that I've never seen a single thread or response on here that was intentionally sexist. Heck, we're the ones trying to save the GSM image from the loudmouthed maniacs who would tarnish it with that crap!

3. Gen

Gen

No, I have seen a fair amount of examples in the past few weeks and even a few in recent days, but I don't want to throw names around. I wouldn't even say that they are not respectful or caring of people; it's just about making assumptions and generalizing people. It comes back to the ideal that all male groups are equally misogynistic towards women; all feminist, female, and lesbian groups are inherently and equally misandristic towards men. Sexism exists in all social groups, but it varies depending group they fall under.

4. okthen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's like saying straight people are sexist towards the same sex because "they have no use for them". How stupid.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely think there are gay people who use their sexuality as an excuse to have nothing to do with the opposite sex, or to be dicks towards them, but are there more or them and is the sexism that comes from them any worse? Probably not, it just takes a slightly different form.

A straight person probably wouldn't exclaim to a group of friends how disgusting or strange the body of someone of the opposite sex is, not only because they're "expected" to be into that, but also because their own heterosexuality would be questioned, so I think there's more freedom of speech (including criticism) in queer circles.

Sexism aside, I think it's more common for gay people to have an almost childlike curiosity when it comes to the opposite sex and heterosexual activities, along the lines of, "How can someone enjoy that?!" or, "What's it like?" There's nothing wrong with that.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone can be sexist or racist... It's that simple.

7. Gort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This makes me think of an (admittedly rather long) article I read the other week that I found interesting: https://medium.com/gender-justice-feminism/59fc5490b223

I'm still new to the gay club, so there is a lot I can't really speak to in the article. And I know some will cry foul about the idea of gay male privilege. But it made me think, at least. I seem to recall a bit of this from some of the gay men I knew from undergrad (less so from the handful of gay friends I had in Toronto). And the WOMEN NOT WELCOME thing is a bit foreign to me; I think repressed sexual tension has meant that I've always found it easier to make friends with women than men.

I really want to hope it's not something that's widespread, since I think gay men and women have a lot of common ground. When I was first coming out to myself, I thought a bit more about homophobia than I had before, and it struck me that it seems to be sort of an extreme form of sexism; I mean, what greater gender role rejection is there than to eschew the basic biological role of procreation? Other than rejecting your biological sex, of course, and transphobia is even more extreme. Maybe that's part of where the militant, misandrist lesbian feminist stereotype comes from. This might be an overly simplistic reading of this, so I'm open to anyone shooting down that particular argument. As I'm only just starting to come out, this isn't something I've had a chance to discuss much yet.

Anyway, from what I've seen from these forums, things seem to be on average pretty supportive and egalitarian, but it wouldn't surprise me if some sexism comes into it. It's pretty firmly entrenched in a lot of societies, and it's hard to overcome.

Not sure if any of that was very coherent. But imma gonna post it anyway. Bam.

8. Gen

Gen

I agree that there are people who expresses motiveless hate; my only argument is that they are not naturally disposed on the opposite as has been claimed.

There are many heterosexual women who find the penises unappealing. A heterosexual man wouldn't be believed as heterosexual if he wasn't obsessed with every part of the female body, but straight women have spoken more freely on the topic, especially with other straight women.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've experienced "genital worship" from both sides, honestly, and tend to stay quiet whenever they're brought up at all. I'm not going to pretend to be into something just to fit in with the guys. Sex in general is something else I find overrated, and have caught plenty of nasty comments for voicing that, too.

Just because you aren't into something doesn't give you the right to put people who are down, or to trash it all you want. Some people have said, "I'm not into x group of people; they're all this or that (prejudiced stereotype)," and when I replied, "Dude, that's not cool," they'll use their own minority status as a defense: "so if I'm not into women, does that automatically make me a sexist??

I think some members of minority groups think just because they have it hard in some way, they're impervious to criticism. Well, no, I'll call someone from my own ethnic group for saying something horrible about another, for example.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed. This is an issue that sprouts from prejudice. Anyone can be prejudiced.

11. Gen

Gen

@I agree. I believe that genital worship and the decision of some to express their feelings in inconsiderate ways is ridiculous. I just don't believe that stems from sexist thought; it just stems from inconsiderate and callous thought. Likewise, when people demean those of a body size or race outside of their sexual or romantic preferences.

Homosexuals are definitely not incapable making sexist statements; however to say that homosexual men are equally or more sexist and subjugating of women is completely unreasonable. Its no different than claiming that lesbians push confining and archaic archetypes onto men as prominently as heterosexual women do. When it comes down to the transfixation on gender archetypes within society, you can't argue that homosexual men play an equal role in the treatment of women as heterosexual men, nor lesbians to heterosexual women in the treatment of men.

Does this mean that homosexuals are not as sexist, in general, in comparison to heterosexuals? Of course not. But the bulk of sexist thought and pressure that would come from a homosexual would push onto others would be on the same sex; that is where you would see them encourage fetishistic or projective prejudice. Likewise, is the same with heterosexual men and women on the opposite sex.

Fetishistic and projective sexism are the most common and oppressive forms of sexism. Although blind hate does exist, most sexism that we experience today isn't pure hate for an entire gender without reason. It is the encouragement of oppressive, sectioning, and/or detrimental ideals on another gender. A homosexual male is not going to have nearly as much of a hand in the sexualization, oppression, and confining of a woman into gender roles. Is a homosexual male going to have a greater hand in the those things placed on men, than the average straight man? Yes, because the same sex is where the homosexual fixation lies. No orientation is "better" then another when it comes down to this, but it is inaccurate and unfair to claim that all social groups of this gender are prominent contributors to the pushing of sexist thought and practices on the opposite gender gender. It simply isn't true.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That much is true; there's a reason straight women and gay men tend to suffer from body issues in greater numbers, as well as issues like bulimia and anorexia. I didn't even know what women experienced until coming into contact with "those" types of guys... it really makes you appreciate where someone else is coming from. I'm still realizing just how interconnected these issues all are.