1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a tomboy as a child

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I keep hearing about lesbians being tomboyish as a child. Even the femmes. I guess I'm not a real lesbian because I was a girly girl as a kid.

2. Emulator

It's not necessarily that way. Really, there's no hard and fast rule about it, and there are always exceptions. It also depends on the role you wish to take up with your partner. Being a girly girl as a kid isn't going to make you less of a lesbian than having been a tomboy would. :slight_smile:

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a tomboy growing up, and still am. Yet I am straight. There's no set rule that lesbians have to have been tomboys growing up, and tomboys also don't necessarily turn out to be lesbians. It's just stereotypes in my opinion :slight_smile:

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cousin was a tomboy and she's heterosexual.

5. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was such a tomboy growing up, wouldn't touch anything pink, hated being called girly etc. But now I love pink and glitter, and I am a lesbian, so i guess the rule applies to me. But 2 of my friends are still massive tomboys - never wear skirts, makeup, play hockey and football - and, as far as I know, both of them are straight.

6. Querying

When I was really little, I was still a tomboy, but I didn't realize it, and so I always tried to fit into the sterotypes of a girly-girl - though I did LOVE pink at the time. But then I realized that wasn't my thing, so I embraced my tomboyishness.

Now, I'm in the opposite spot - I'm more of a 'girl' again, but my parents are so set in their ways that they won't buy me anything pink, or decorate my room with posters, buy makeup, etc.

7. fairyinkcap

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its the exact same for me! I've completely embraced my girlyness in the last few years - to the delight of my mum- but she still gets surprised when I want something pink. She's getting used to it. Now she's always like " I used to think you might be a lesbian!" And I'm like YOUR IN FOR A SURPRISE.

I didn't even realise my sexuality til after I was completely girly so stereotypes are really dumb

8. TheUglyBarnacle

[​IMG]

This is a serious offence but you won't get your lesbian card revoked if you have completed the aforementioned process with success.

Obviously kidding. Stereotypes are fun but there is no set way to be a lesbian. Sexuality and gender presentation are two different things.
    Girly lesbians and straight tomboys exist and always have.

#8 TheUglyBarnacle, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. DrkRayne

I was one girly little girl. I mean I wanted to BE Cinderella and wore dresses and played with Barbies and Easy Bake Oven.
    I didn't play sports or with any type of ball.
    Nope I was as girly as they came...
    Still a lesbian.

My (mostly) heterosexual sister was the tomboy. I mean....tomboy extreme. She wanted to be a WNBA player till she was 17.

10. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I look like a boy since I was 2 years old.

But not because I love women. But because it's from my soul, from how my heart always says.

So, even if I were androsexual, I would be exactly the same person who I am now.

11. ComingClean

ComingClean Guest

I was a bit of a tomboy as a child.. When I was a baby, I was dressed in blue. As a child, I was dressed in dungarees.
    But that doesn't mean that you're not really a lesbian.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been a girly girl when I was a child , as a teen I became more tomboyish because boys made fun of me for not having big boobs when I wore dress , Plus I was going through the I don't care how I look faze because I want men to leave me alone and I was depressed .
    It's a long story lol :grin:

#12 stocking, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  13. thekillingmoon

Yes, kind of. I liked a mix of activities. I played with dolls, I played with cars and legos, I jumped rope, climbed trees, play wrestled with my friends who were girls lol. They all turned out straight, by the way. I was a quite active child. :lol:

As for clothes, I wore whatever my mom bought for me, I didn't really get a say.

14. I was a real tomboy (loved football, mud and play fighting with my older brother) up until I was about seven. Then I saw all the girls in my year who liked dolls and make up, and I started playing with Barbies instead of football

15. erikira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When my parents divorced, I went to go live with my dad so my gender expression wasn't always there. I got used to the whole t-shirt and jeans attire and it sort of just followed me until probably my senior year in high school (aka now, haha). I've gotten back in touch with my mom and my girlfriend has a knack for dressing me up. I would've loved to dress up more as a girl, but I was really insecure about my weight when I was younger and honestly had no idea how to go on about it.