1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just saw a film and it got me thinking...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimi, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Kimi

I just finished watching a movie called "Ladder 49" and it got me thinking how would be like to have a firefighter in a family.

Personally, I can not see myself as a firefighter but if I do happen to have a firefighter in my family in the future, I think I would be very proud of him/her. I would be definitely worried but it's something I have to deal with I think.

But if I happened to have a bf(I hope) and he happens to be a firefighter, I don't know if I can deal with it. I mean, I would be really really proud of him but I think the fear is so great that would cause me a problem with him being a firefighter.

Anyways, I was wondering what you guys think of it. I mean, firefighter isn't the only job which is dangerous. But if anyone on here happens to have a firefigher or other member who has a job which is with great danger in the family or as a parter, how do you feel and how you are dealing with it. Or how do you think you would feel if you happens to have someone in a family in the future?

2. Daniel

Truth be told, they're trained professionals and what you saw was extreme cases in the movie.

His job would also involve getting kittens out of trees and putting out minor fires.

Truth be told, though it is a risky job, it is not the same as Ladder 49. Remember it is a MOVIE, and you must take that with a grain of salt.

3. Kimi

Maybe...

Must be the news I saw that afternoon about firefighter's death:eusa_doh:

4. treksez

treksez Guest

yea thats just exxagerated/worst case

5. smilealways

smilealways Guest

You can say it was just a movie but things do happen as I have seen few on tv. But anything could happen in life. People die in car accidents. People should be enjoying more than worrying.

Anyway, the best thing is to support that person and not worry. It wouldn't seem right to not do it if that is what the person wants to do.

6. nickmc

My dad is a firefighter here in NZ and yes we are very proud of him. He has a very noble job.

But like Daniel said, (at least here in NZ), their job is nowhere near as exciting and often nowhere near as dangerous as the movie "Ladder 49" portrays. Often its attending car-crashes and cutting people out of their vehicles, or going to places like schools where the smoke-alarm is directly wired to the fire service so they have to attend. Or running fire-drills. Not particularly exciting.

and yes, occasionally there is a big fire and it can get pretty dangerous, but it's rare and so personally I don't worry about him too much. I only worry when I hear on the news that there is a big fire in the area that my dad's fire-station would attend.

So don't worry. Take it with a grain of salt. :icon_bigg

7. total mo

total mo Guest

I would feel definitely bad, because i never know when he is going to pass away with that dangerous job of his. I would suggest him to find another job something less dangerous, or I would just panic each time he goes to work.

8. Kimi

That's good that firefighters are not in that kind of danger all the time.

So...

Any gay firefighter out there, hit me!!!!:slight_smile: *Get knocked down literally*