1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuck russian government

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hayden905, Feb 8, 2014.

1. hayden905

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im not sure if anyone else has heard but in russia it is illegal to be gay there and if you are "guilty of being gay" (as some Russian people say :tantrum:slight_smile: you will either get a fine or even go to jail!!!! what are your thoughts about that EC?

2. Simple Thoughts

I think there is several topics about this in the political/news section of EC.

Also, I think it's ignorant. I think it's dumb. I also have no idea what in the heck Putin is thinking, he must be insane, evil, or an idiot. -.-'

It sucks too because I was happy with Putin for solving the Syria chemical weapons issue without violence, but then he turned around and did the anti-gay stuff in almost the same move so now I can't praise his diplomatic work because of his human rights violations >.>

3. FrozenFae

The atrocities going on there make me ashamed to be Russian in all honesty.

4. Marc9726

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is not actually illegal to be gay though you certainly wouldn't want to come out with the rampart homophobia, 'vigilante' gangs and the rather broad terms of it's anti-gay propaganda law but regardless I think it's immoral, a breach of simple human rights and something which we should never stop protesting, forget or ignore. It could of been any of us born into a country that is not only homophobic but also has a government that does nothing to protect and instead persecutes it's LGBT members.

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's a lot of governments that are messed up. It's not illegal to be gay in Russia, but there's a lot of citizens pushing violence on LGBT people.

Here's the map from wiki.

[​IMG]

Dark blue = Same-sex marriage
    Blue = Other type of partnership (or unregistered cohabitation)
    Turquoise = Foreign same-sex marriages recognized
    Light blue = Limited recognition of same-sex marriages at the federal level, no state level recognition
    Grey = No recognition of same-sex couples

Beige = Laws restricting freedom of expression and association
    Yellow = De jure penalty that is de facto not enforced <--- I have no idea what this even is
    Orange = Imprisonment
    Orange-Red = Imprisonment (up to life sentence)
    Maroon = Up to death

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll find that the Russians are moderate compared to some Western-backed governments in the Arabian Peninsula and Africa. Russia is indeed a conservative, quasi-dictatorial ultra-capitalist country, but the LGBT concerns aren't actually that big of a deal compared to Russia's many other crimes (massacres of separatists in the Caucasus and a massive weapons trade which sells to Bashar al-Assad, among others). It's evil and disgusting, but we cannot a) ignore the bigger issues such as nationalist propaganda and ethnic massacres, as the media have loved doing with Russia, b) pretend Russia is alone of the great powers in terms of mass-discrimination, and c) we really mustn't bring up Nazi Germany, as has happened so many times in this conversation and really needs to stop.

Russia is like the US and other Western nations in ignoring blatant abuse of power by police and ignoring police and legal abuse of people in low positions of power, so it's important not to act as if Russia is the Big Bad Guy of the world while our own countries commit terrible atrocities every day, too.

Oh, and Skaros, de-facto means that it is a fact, it is acted on. De-jure means it's written down as a law. If it's de-jure but not de-facto, it's just a law that's not acted on. Usually it's one that's just a legal technicality, or one in the process of repeal.

7. Nikky DoUrden

If you'll ask Kasparov, he'll say Putin is an idiot (among other things!)

I wouldn't be surprised if he really thinks "gay propaganda" can make kids gay.

And IMO he "solved" Syria thing because he has an agreement with Syria government (which by the way slaughter their civilians) and he wanted that because he wanted to show the world he is stronger than obama. But thats only my opinion :icon_bigg

Antarctica does not recognize same-sex couples?! :O

#7 Nikky DoUrden, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  8. MattB

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Being homosexual isn't in theory illegal in Russia, but the 'de facto' effect is that anyone overtly non-straight or perceived as so is highly susceptible to violence and prison.

I feel very sorry for LGBTQs in Russia and I am boycotting the Olympic Games of Sochi because that is all I can do for the moment. It is true that there are other serious issues happening in Russia and that it isn't the only place where homophobia has reached critical levels, but I do not think that turning our attentions to the institutionalised homophobia there invalidates the concerns over other issues.

To be honest, I don't think that the Russian government has decided to take this stance out of insanity, but rather very pragmatically: they came up with a common enemy against which they could gather Russians and obtain more support. Nasty but always effective tactic.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya I know I mean seriously what the fuck is the big deal. That's y I will never visit Russia or an Arab country just thank god I love in America I would hate living in a homophobe country.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If something is de jure, then it is the law.
    If something is de facto, then it's a fact.

In this case, the penalty is technically in the laws, but nobody gives a shit, and this penalty is not enforced. It is probably a remnant of a more homophobic time, but nobody bothered to remove the penalty.

11. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

It isn't the whole Russian Government, it is really Putin and whoever is whispering in his ear at this time. Putin is ambitious, like those who were before him, such as Stalin, he isn't going to allow anyone to stand in his way. If you were to ask him his personal opinions on the matter and if he was to be truthful, he would say he is indifferent most likely. The reason he has outlawed the expression of LGBT-ness and demonstrations is because it exposes the laws as being weak, and if there is a weak government, Putin loses power, losing his grasp on the government. Putin is actually very smart, why deal with people and make a public example when he makes those who oppose him see their own shadows as enemies. Throw someone in jail if they are to go to a public court hearing, or simply arrest them in the middle of the night for plotting against the government, conspiracy, whatever Putin wants them to have done. "Where'd Dmitri go?" "I don't know, maybe he is on vacation."
    Creating these sort of rumors among people is much more frightening than throwing someone in jail publicly as they are now aware that the Russian government is more knowledgeable than they think, effectively ending any protests that they might be planning etc etc. I mean look at how much same-sex marriage alone causes controversy in the states: I'm going to vote for Candidate A because he supports gay marriage even though all his other policies suck whereas Candidate B is better for the country as a whole.
    "When you can't lead by example, intimidate." Or one even more suiting from Stalin himself, "No man, no problem."

12. Stripe101

Careful with that shit. Putin will come after you.

[​IMG]

13. Harve

The map's out of date since Scotland have gay marriage now. Although it was only a few days ago, so I shan't moan too much.

14. edgy

edgy Guest

you must also realize that Putin wants a population boost for his country, so you'd have to assume he wants to discriminate those who aren't helping.