1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching my friend be in a relationship

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by manofwar618, Feb 8, 2014.

1. manofwar618

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently, my best friend has started dating this girl. They're very happy together and I am really glad for both of them. The thing is, though, everytime I see them together, I feel bad. They have the kind of relationship where they share everything with each other and never stop smiling when they're around each other. They share all their weaknesses and accept each other for it. It's genuine and real. Of course, I am happy that he gets to feel that way. But, I still cannot help but feel a bit jealous. It has been years since I have dated anyone and he did horrible things for my self-confidence that I am just getting out of now. I love both of them, but seeing them so happy makes me feel so miserable because I want to have that. Is there any way I can explain that without sounding like a jerk?
    It does not seem like a relationship like that will find me anytime soon.

2. Kreiger

I'm not sure how to answer your question, but I understand where you're coming from. Some of my friends are in relationships where they can be so open with eachother and it makes me jealous too. I don't know if there's really a good way to explain it your friend, I just sorta hightail when mine get too mushy.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's normal to feel envy at other people's happiness, especially when you are unhappy yourself. I think the main thing to realize is that being in a relationship is not the only way to be happy. You need to learn how to be happy with yourself even while single such that when you meet a guy (and you surely will), you will not feel he is the one making you happy. You will find him as someone who can you share your happiness.