1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

college in the UK

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JustMe2009, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JustMe2009

JustMe2009 Guest

I'm a senior in high school now and graduate in 2009. I was wondering if it is realistic to tell my parents im taking a year off college and move to the uk but actually usethat time to get enrolled in a community college there? at this link ( http://www.lettingweb.com/propertie...ion=12&perpage=15&pagenum=1&search_id=4314323 ) there is a room that rents for like 250 pcm. What is pcm? and would I be able to get a job that gives me enuf money to rent that room, and go to a community college? Istheir a min wage throughout the UK? The location is in "Osborne Avenue, NG5, Sherwood, Nottingham" and also would it be possable to not have a car there? Do you know any places that would work for me ....oh..and that are gay male friendly?

2. Micah

PCM = pounds per month I'd assume :wink:

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Well, at £250 per month you need to work about 6 days a week and earn £10 a day which is 2 hours of work at the minimum wage (which applies across all th UK. YAY for the security state). If you were living in Nottingham, reasonably close to your college and to your work you probably wouldn't need to have a car, if you worked out public transport. I'm sure there are gay groups/clubs/orginaisations in Nottingham.

But this whole thing sounds a bit sketchily planned out. Are you planning it for this September? Why can't you tell your parents? Have you ever lived by yourself before, and have you ever rented a room? What do you plan to study and how much do you know about the British education system? What is your motive for a secretive move to Britain? Maybe these are things which you should think carefully about, because you don't want to find yourself stranded in a strange country whose laws and systems you don't know anything about and with your parents unaware of your movements.

...but Britain is great, so I can see why you want to come :wink:

4. JoeBloggs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For under 18s, the current national minimum wage is £3.40 per hour... roughly $6.73.

For 18-21 year olds, the minimum wage is £4.60... roughly $9.11.

For those over 21, the minimum wage is £5.52... roughly $10.94

PCM means "per calendar month".

#4 JoeBloggs, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  5. Ty

Ty Guest

I work at the moment and Im being paid £4:60, so I just changed the figures to how its working here. I think thats right, anyways.

6. Tom

Tom Guest

firstly i am sorry to say this Ty but tht post was kinda useless and made it confusing as what you said was wrong =[

from 1st october 2008 minimum wages are going to be increased to these values:

• Workers aged 22 and over - £5.73 per hour
    • Workers aged 18-21 - £4.77 per hour
    • Workers aged 16-17 - £3.53 per hour

[edit] once again im editing this, ive found too many resources for it and each says differently, but the governemnt says that if you are not of school leaving age, which basically means tht if you are not 16, then you do not have to be paid minimum wage until the end of the summer term of they year that you do turn 16. might be ebs if you read ot for yourself here

so you would be looking at a wage of around £3.53 an hour, but if you worked in a super market that could become something like £5 an hour, which is what most of my friends started on at ASDA, Tesco and Morrisons. you may also be eligible for EMA (education maintenance allowance) which could give you upto £30 a week, which if you are eligible for it you will almost definetly receive the full amount. i am not sure if ppl tht are here for one year only can apply for it though but i assume they can.

also £250 a month is actually quite expensive, you should consider staying n a youth hostel type place for a few months while you get used to life in the UK and can also save a little bit of cash. a youth hostel near me costs £7 a week to rent but it is mainly for those who have been kicked out of their homes. im sure you would be able to find something very similar tho for not much more per week.

also make sure you know exactly how the local educational system works, here in leicstershire we have a differnt setup with the schools to almost all other areas of the UK, so if you are researching about the schools in the UK make sure what you are reading is about the area you are likely to end up in to avoid any confusion.

and finally it might be a good idea to tell us what you are studying, that way im sure some of us in the UK can give you help when it comes to finding a college which gives offers them courses and has a good course, aswell as being generally cheap to live there.

hope this helps =]

#6 Tom, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  7. JustMe2009

JustMe2009 Guest

I want to study business and computers. I had always read that living in the UK was really expensive and college was really cheap. Some people say the opposite. So i'm confused on that. I dont think I said it earlier but I want to expat to the UK, not just go to college there. All my life I have wanted to live in another country. Basically , heres what I think II should do...

1) Graduate from high school
    2) take a visit to the UK
    3) Try to secure a job and a room
    4) Drag everything over to the UK, really like one box, not a lot of stuff lol
    5) Enroll in a community college

I just dont know if I can do it that way or is there is a better way. I'm shooting for a commmunity college because ne its cheaper to do it than transfer to a 4 year and also It would be easier to get into I imagine. I just dont know how much all this will cost or if I can do this myself by working. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I do have around $14,000 saved up thanx to my grandfather. Its for my education.

So I could use a ton of help,please !

#7 JustMe2009, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be better if you think about it some more, before making a decision one way or the other. Living in Europe can become expensive very quickly. Most universities and colleges will charge a higher fee for foreign students or non nationals. Psychedelic Bookmarks pointed to a few things that you should consider in particular if you have never lived on your own. Although you do have some money saved, I would still be very cautious about making such a move. Make sure you have a very good idea about how much the move is going to cost you as well as living there.

If you do want to study in the UK, I think it would be good if you would get first some information about the college that you want to enroll, the program itself and what are the entrance requirements. "It would be easier I imagine", needs to become "I know this is going to work" before you go. Familiarize yourself with the British education system. Also, make sure to look up how much the degree is going to cost you.

I am tempted to advice you to continue your education in the United States and once you have been for a year or two at an American university participate in an exchange program or transfer to a British university/college (if possible) then. This might be easier.

Hope this helps!

#8 Mirko, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  9. JustMe2009

JustMe2009 Guest

I think thats what I might do. At the very least If I do even just a year here it will be cheaper (and easier ) and give me more research and prep time. Would it be hard to find a job in the UK after college in either business/finance or computer science?

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finding a job oversees will depend on a number of factors. Finding a job in the field of computer science could be a bit easier than in the field of business/finance. A lot of professions have their own specific regulations and requirements. It would be worthwhile to check that out so that you can prepare yourself for it. During your university/college education do look into exchange programs which might help you in obtaining employment in the UK after you have finished your education.

If you have an idea as to what kind of a career you want, that will help you in figuring out what you need to do and what kind of requirements you need to fulfill. Also, maybe talk to an academic/career counselor. He/She might be able to give you more information about it and tell you what would be the best way to go about it.

It is really up to as to how you want to go about it. I do think however that it might be better to look into all the different aspects of such a move. Starting your education in the U.S. will definitely give you more time to look into all of the requirements and the things you need to do. It can only help you in the long run.

Hope this helps!

11. JustMe2009

JustMe2009 Guest

Yeah that help!

I'm not sure what I will do...just think about it for awhile I guess. Thanx everybody.

12. EddieFull

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Remember, think about it seriousley before you make any decisions. UK is quite different to USA, especially the education system. Make sure you research everything, and make contact in UK so you have friends and a support network of people your own age.