1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personality Vs. Looks

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by willycubed28, Feb 9, 2014.

1. willycubed28

What do you consider most important when you meet someone for a date? Is it their personality or their looks? I personally go for personality because if I am attracted to that then it will lead to an overall attraction. That is just me though. Some people are different. They look at someone's looks first, and nothing wrong with that. Looks are important and I totally understand that. Which though do you look at first and consider to be most important?

2. justjade

I'm into personality, too. I love a guy's sense of humor, his intelligence, his maturity. I could never date a guy who's drop-dead sexy but can't see the humor in my jokes or hold his own in a debate.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Looks can never trump personality. Who wants to be with someone who looks good but is mentally uninteresting?

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm completely honest with myself, regardless of which is more important I suppose I'd go for looks. I know if I'm not remotely attracted to someone it's going to be difficult for me to try and force myself to be interested enough to learn about their personality anyway, and since I keep telling myself I shouldn't settle for the first person that comes along I probably wouldn't bother.

That's why I don't like 'dating', as in meeting someone I barely know for a date. I'd much rather get to know someone fully, even online, before we meet up...

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends what I'm looking for. If I wanted to hook up, I could hate his personality and not care as long as he was attractive. If I wanted to just casually date, I'd have no problems grabbing a beer with someone who I didn't find all that attractive but I felt a personal connection with. If I wanted to date more seriously, I'd need to find both his personality and looks attractive.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider my preference in looks to be secondary. Not picky.

Not like I'd have many chances to turn people away if was picky, though... :dry:

7. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Overall personality is the most important aspect, but I think appearance is really important for a potential partner because that will be the first impression you have. If you're not at all attracted to the other person I don't think a relationship has much chance of working, regardless of how well you hit it off.

8. Sorceress of Az

Personality is a little bit more important, but I have to be attracted to them,
    So both are of equal importance.

I'm very picky too though. LoL

9. leer

personality is more important to me but if I had a chance of getting a hot looking guy into bed ad go for it .

10. Simple Thoughts

Personality. I barely register attractiveness anyways. My attractiveness concerns go as far as 'do they repulse me?' if no than I don't really care. I don't need the sexiest man or woman alive. :slight_smile:

11. Awkward Balloon

Looks. I very rarely find people's personalities attractive, I experience most of my attractions in the physical sense. Of course personality is important, but I wouldn't say that I've ever been emotionally attracted, especially not to someone I don't like physically.

12. frkn frk

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The word "attractive" tells us there is something about them that attracts us. Sometimes the personality is so attractive we refine their "looks" (or maybe their personality actually does change their appearance). Kinda depends on your attitude sometimes. If you improve your personality, you see some people you normally would not.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You say "hello" for the looks, and "see you again soon" for the personality. :slight_smile:

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer a mix of both, but most of it being personality. If someone has a personality of a brick wall, I probably won't give them a call back, but I won't turn someone down because of looks only, if they have a wonderful personality.

15. Bolin

In true demisexual nature, I have to know someone really well and have an intense emotional connection with them to be attracted to them in a more intense sense. Three out of the five guys I've fallen for were men I didn't notice physically at first, and I was arguably not even attracted to those three physically before I got to know them. So, personality first.

16. C P

C P

If I'm getting the bolded right, you're saying that sometimes getting to know someone can make them more appealing look-wise, right? If so, this so freakin much.

I'm not saying looks should be secondary as physical attractiveness is important, too, but so many people are quick to just brush someone off if they don't fit within their list of 'preferences' to a tee. There are obviously people who are going to be unattractive to us no matter what, but you could be surprised from time to time is what I'm saying. :slight_smile:

Going back to that first part, I'm talking from personal experience which is why I agree. I've had a few guys talk to me who I'll admit I've thought 'ehhhhhhh', going by looks, that, after getting to know them(I'm always open to friends and chat at least, so I'll talk to just about anyone), ended up looking pretty cute, despite them looking exactly the same as before.

17. Emberblaze

I say that personality is the first thing I look at. What's the point of being with someone with an awesome face but they have nothing in common with me in the slightest. Besides, II think our society gets a little too over-cumbered with looks anyhow. I mean, our appearance literally changes every second of the day, what's so special about it? How we look now won't bbe how we look 40 years in the future.

Now, with that being said, having a physical attraction to someone is just as important. If you meet someone that is 100% totally in sync with you, but you have 0% attraction to them physically, then, that's called a FRIEND. And when I say that, it's not like I mean that you have to be "hot" or "beautiful" to attract people, no, not at all. You just have to be yourself. There are billions of people in this world, there's going to be quite a few people who like the way you look, even if YOU don't.

Ugly and beauty are a result of socialization, but honestly, there isn't technically much of a concrete definition for those words since there are so many varying perspectives. What's ugly to me, is beauty to someone across the country.

You guys get the point, so I'mma stop here before I go off on an endless rant about socialization

18. thekillingmoon

Both are important. Looks is what makes you notice someone and personality is what makes you want to get to know them.

19. KingDavey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Both, personality is of course more important. But of course looks are going to catch you first.

20. man dolen

+1

Look does matter only if you want meaningless relationship based only on sex.